Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 06:31 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,324,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Torrey, that was very big of you (to expand on what you said, and explain where you came from). Most people here would never say 'sorry' or explain their point of view. Thank you.
Yes that was-very few people would do that.

E-mail and the internet is great but does not take the place of the face to face conversation so sometimes it is hard to get your point across or someone may take things the wrong way- not saying that was necessarily the case here but I am guilty of both on more than one occassion.

Like you, I came from nothing and my husband and I worked two or three jobs for quite some time to move from an apartment to a home and have financial security. I can certainly understand your passion. I feel as you do that a lot of people don't have the greatest work ethic, are lazy etc. They want you and I to pay for them. I know in my case, growing up as I did and knowing how hard we worked, I take it almost personally when other people don't do the same. I am passionate almost to a fault on this. That is probably also why I reponded harshly to your response about apartments- as I lived in one before we purchased our home and we worked two jobs each to get out of there. We were not lowlifes living in apartment, that is where we started out. I apologize if I was harsh.
I guess the real point that I am trying to make is that for every lazy, entitled person out there, there is one who is similar to you who works hard for everything they have.

P.S. Deep Sea Diving-wow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 08:35 AM

1,775 posts, read 8,096,716 times
Sometimes people just have no choice but to live in a mobile home or modular until they can get to that stick home though which. You don't know the people living inside of them. they may be trying to get out and move on up in the world too or they may be happy living as they are. For some people, their goal might be to buy a mobile or modular and be quite content with that. I was just quite offended for others that he was so harsh on people who want to settle for less and live in these kind of homes. I appreciate his explanation but i still don't think he will change his outlook on people who choose to live in mobiles/modulars.

I've come a long way too being 17, pregnant having a blind child to care for, single and still in high school struggling to make it through college too. Now i have purchased 8 acres of land in another state and have a 5 year plan to move there and build a log home so yeah, i'm not living in the moment everyday either but i still have fun. I too have long term plans as well but it took a long time to get here and yes, i did live in a mobile home for 8 years during this period so i'm a prime example of a good person living in a mobile home trying to reach a goal to better my life and just think next time you see a mobile home on the side of the road, maybe those people are in the same situation we were and have a goal to move out of that mobile or then again maybe they're quite happy where they are in life. I've worked in a medical clinic that offers free care to the poor and i'm not saying there aren't people just living off the system because there are plenty living on both mobiles and stick homes but just don't be so judgemental of others if you don't know their situation. that's all i ask.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:33 AM

57 posts, read 379,152 times
don't worry what people think it's what makes you and your family happy

there's nothing wrong with a lot of them it just means some don't have as much money and the only ones who lok down on you are the elitists and the yuppies who thibk they're better than others.

hope you find what your looking for, my neighbour when I lived in massa chusetts before I espcaed the state had a beautiful pre fab home infact it was the best one on the street, 5 bedrooms, 3 bedrooms, 2500 square feet, lots of land ,

Old 10-16-2007, 09:07 AM

1 posts, read 3,918 times
Default I lived in one

I would not worry about what people think if you live in one. I lived in one for three years. After graduate school I was needing a place to live. I could not afford to go and buy some expensive house, with the fees that go along with the purchase of one. So I bought a mobile home. It was located in a very nice park. Every one there was very sociable. So when July 4th came along everyone would pitch in and a firework display. So there are some benefits to living in one and living in a park.

No one there was a criminal or child molester. So it was either live there are buy some cheap home in a bad neighborhood. It is really up to the individual. I guess some people have a image they have to uphold.

One last thing when I sold it I made my money back. It worked out better than renting an apartment I think.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:42 AM

639 posts, read 3,527,019 times
Absolutely do NOT listen to those jokers that put down mobile home life, they're totally out of line and absolutely ridiculous in their thinking. A very very good friend of mine lived in a mobile home park with her husband for years, and just moved 2 years ago to the south, there mobile home or whatever you call it, is it modular or manufactured? In any case, they had a new one delivered about 5 years ago? It was just beautiful. They lived in southern NH and it was one of those updated double wide homes. I'm telling you it was absolutely gorgeous. We loved it so much, the inside and the out, everything about it! The thing was though? She was on leased land, that's the ONLY thing about it that drove her and her husband crazy, every year the fee went up like clockwork, that's not the only thing, the guy was a nut about building or having more on the land and there wasn't enough room. So definitely definitely make sure you get your OWN land or like Valerie I think it was that said one of those co-op set ups where the community you live in owns the land. That's the only thing that's extremely important in this state of NH anyway, with living in a community like that. The only reason why my friend moved out of this development is because it wasn't on her own land and her husband was flipping out all the time with the owner, they had verbal battles all the time! They were still able to sell their place though, just the same, it took a while, but they made out just fine all around! They moved to the south for warmer weather and now they cut their own grass and miss their mobile. I swear they'll be back in one again, as soon as they get the south out of their system! I think they'll be back in NH too, we can tell already with the "We Like it here in NC but we don't LOVE it" SO that's one of the signs they'll be back to New England sooner than we think!

Good luck wherever you decide to live! Just remember what I said about the mobile home living. Make sure you either get in to a co-op or it's your OWN land!

Old 10-19-2007, 05:27 PM

265 posts, read 1,063,309 times
FWIW, when I worked in the Hanover area of NH years ago I was looking for a place to live and just on a hoot answered an ad to share a mobile home in Enfield. Yes, it withstood winter, and it was warmer and nicer inside than some regular houses I saw. Great rent, too. Too bad I took a shared apt. in Hanover, where the roommate turned out to be a psycho, and then another apartment that was an overpriced, falling-down dump. I can't believe I'm saying this but, except for possible stigma, I may have to consider a manufactured home at some point. I'm single, can't afford to buy a house, and I am thoroughly sick of 30 years of rental apartments/condos.
The only downside I would see is the prejudice that still exists and safety if an area is prone to hurricanes, tornados, or other violent storms.

Old 10-20-2007, 05:12 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,177,765 times
When I worked in apartment managing, I had the opportunity to tour manufactured homes and trailers at a revamped park. I was amazed and rather jealous. The house we lived in (my mother is against trailers, my father could care less), so the house we lived in didn't have 1/2 the amenities these homes did. We're talking jacuzi tubs, walk in showers, closets that have the organizers in it, kitchens with pot racks and marbled islands, the right rooms are large not the wrong rooms like a hallway that's gigantic for no apparent reason, there seemed to be no wasted spaces.

I had a great time viewing the old trailers and seeing how updates and upgrades have come a long way. After leaving that job to move out of state, I took notice of how many manufactured homes and trailers there are across the parts of America I travelled; there are lots! Some are so gorgeous, you can hardly tell.

One place we stopped at, was a trailer/rv/camp ground. Lots of trailers lined the front of the park across Lake Erie; in Ohio. Of course take into consideration this was a big summertime vacation spot, but we camped in off season. During off season at this park, we saw a whole new community come to life.

We met on our first night, a couple who sold their regular home, to live in their trailer at the resort all year round. The couple had so much fun taking their golf cart through the trails, over the streams, and to the lake, that they put their money and time into making their rented space just adorable. There is a little community of people who live there all year round and work locally. We were invited to their bar-b-q where they had a fire pit, patio lights, chilled beer in an antique painted metal bucket, and we got to meet everyone and sit in handmade rocker chairs one elderly man who lives there still hand makes and sells.

I began thinking about what it would take to be a property manager for a place like that. What would you have to do to keep residents in a trailer park respectful of nature, clean and pretty lots, upkept and safe environment? It's almost worth the crusade to go back into doing that, I loved working at the apartment complex, you would just need to own the management company that over saw the lots; so that you could have that kind of atmosphere. You can always not stay in the parks and get your own land, but still, some of these people who lived in even the small trailers, had the most unique gardens, and were very creative with their decor. It was a great place.

Which brings me to the point I got lost rambling about: A few motivated people can make a difference. One person was creative to start it all I'll wager, and it spread. And for those people who don't respect the area and the space, there's the management company to help find where they belong the best.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:04 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,625,985 times
After reading so many nightmare stories with the overnight neighborhood stick built homes, I would not hesitate to buy a manufactured home. Both have their risks. Stick built doesn't guarantee you a quality home. I've had people I work with have nightmare stories of bad foundations, bad framing, bad roofing, etc. One friend had a foundation problem and moisture started coming through his carpets in his living room. He had to have all his furniture and carpet removed, and excavation work done IN HIS LIVING ROOM to prevent further damage to his carpets and walls. So you can get burned on any type of home. You should do TONS of research, and don't get suckered into making a fast buy without understanding whats happening. The "Grissim Ratings Guide to Manufactured Homes" is a $30 book that will lay out the good, the bad and the ugly about the MH industry. Me and my wife are leaning more towards a MH.

I'll have to say that honestly I went alone to look at some Clayton and Fleetwood homes after my wife mentioned that as an affordable option. I was very skeptical, as was she, and really expected to just go to the lot and prove my suspicions of cheap, worthless structures to be correct. I had lived in one as a little kid in the late 70's, and my oldest brother purchased one for a couple of years in the early 1990's and didn't care for it much. All I can say is boy how times have changed. Yes, you can still find the box kite trailers that are 1200 square feet for under $25k. But if you are willing to spend a good bit more while still not paying what a site built cost, you can get a very nice home that is well built and classy looking.

The model me and my wife really like has drywall throughout instead of the old "panelboard" stuff. It also has solid oak cabinets, and a stacked stone fireplace. You can get the same quality roof (30yr shingles) and even the higher pitched roof that will make your home almost indistinguishable to a passer by. As a matter of fact, after our looking at manufactureds, we realized that several homes around us upon carefully looking are in fact manufactured homes that we have thought were site builts due to their VERY normal look. When a good MH with a 5/12 roof is set on a permenant foundation and landscaped right, you can't tell the difference unless someone tells you.

So I would highly recommend the Grissim Guides to help you learn how to avoid bad dealers or manufacutrers, and find the reputable dealers who work with the better manufacturers. That is what me and my wife are doing, and unless we run into a steal of a deal on a good site built in the next few months, we'll be living in a manufactured home and we will be proud of it.

Old 11-05-2007, 03:06 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,942,077 times
tnbound, thank you for that good info! I'll be picking up one of these Grissim Ratings Guidebooks for my own use and education.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:59 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,625,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
tnbound, thank you for that good info! I'll be picking up one of these Grissim Ratings Guidebooks for my own use and education.
No problem. I was happy to run across it. The guy that wrote it did a great job of documenting things. He spent many years of his career as an investigative journalist, so he was very skilled at digging in and finding the information that is hard to get for most people. Very good read, and provides a ton of good info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire