Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 03:38 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times

Advertisements

Where I live, they are not an option, but owning one might be the only affordable way for us to 'own a home' when we move to New Hampshire.

I have several questions about them. Are they considered 'low class' to live in and can they withstand wintertime in NH?

I don't mean to ask out of being rude...I am curious because before I sink my little savings in one of these places (some look quite nice by the way) I want to know what I am getting into.

Thanks for your replies/suggestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2007, 04:02 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,329,701 times
There are different degrees. They range from what would be like a trailer to really nice Modular homes. As far as "low-class", I don't really think manufactured or modular homes are considered such.Even trailers don't have to look bad if they are kept up and the park is kept neat. The fear I would have with the trailer is they probably would not be as sturdy as a manufactured/modular home. Have you checked out Camelot Homes in Tilton? We walked through them once and they were real nice. There is a modular home factory with models on Route 3 in Tilton as well but I cannot recall the name-sorry. I think the biggest obstacle would be price of land. Since housing prices have gone up, that has hit manufactured and modular home as well. Some places have home and land packages. I think the main thing would be to ask for the specifications of the factory that makes them. I read some where that the really good modulars have construction specifications that exceed what the government requires.

Nicole

Old 07-21-2007, 05:46 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times
I'd probably be buying a 'used' one in an established park if the price was right/area nice. I just want to know these parks aren't havens for 'perverts' and 'law dodgers.'

Can anyone recommend one near Lebanon/Hanover NH?

Thanks for your reply, nicolem!

Old 07-21-2007, 11:55 PM

562 posts, read 660,297 times
I think they should outlaw those things - mobile homes. Or at least segregate them to a place FAR from nice housing districts. Same with apartments.

Old 07-22-2007, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrey View Post
I think they should outlaw those things - mobile homes. Or at least segregate them to a place FAR from nice housing districts. Same with apartments.

I disagree. Not all mobile home/trailer parks are what everyone thinks of as run down and overriden with criminals. Yes some are. However some parks are clean and neat and people take pride in their ownership. Plus with housing the way it is, that may be all that someone can afford.

As a matter of fact, because the price of land has absoultely skyrocketed, a lot of mobile home parks are threatened with whoever owns the land selling it for the big bucks. Well a lot of mobile home communities are coming together, forming an association and buying the land, the residents lease it and they cannot have it sold out from under them.

And to make a statement that apartments and mobile home parks should be segregated from the "nice houses" is just plain wrong. If an area were that concerned about a particular apartment building or mobile home park, work on getting that one in order.

If all the mobile homes were demolished, where would these people go? It is not like all of these people are on welfare-they don't make a lot perhaps but they work. Are they going to afford a $300,000 home, which is all that they are building by me for out of staters? Sure let's put more people on public assistance we really need that.

Old 07-22-2007, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I'd probably be buying a 'used' one in an established park if the price was right/area nice. I just want to know these parks aren't havens for 'perverts' and 'law dodgers.'

Can anyone recommend one near Lebanon/Hanover NH?

Thanks for your reply, nicolem!
I wish I had more info. I don't know if there are a lot in the Lebanon/Hanover area. That area is growing and a lot of the building is being done for rich out of staters.

The one suggestion I would make is if you do buy, try to live in a place where there is an association and you lease your lot so a greedy seller cannot sell out from under you and tell you that you have to be out in 30 days.

Good luck.

Old 07-22-2007, 06:27 AM

108 posts, read 413,123 times
If you have children, please stay far far away from mobile home parks that are mostly rented. These are the ones that can carry seediness, drug issues, etc,etc, and you do not want your children to be exposed to these kinds of issues.
If you can buy a piece of land and put a home on it that would be much better.

Old 07-22-2007, 07:02 AM

3,074 posts, read 4,726,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Where I live, they are not an option, but owning one might be the only affordable way for us to 'own a home' when we move to New Hampshire.

I have several questions about them. Are they considered 'low class' to live in and can they withstand wintertime in NH?

I don't mean to ask out of being rude...I am curious because before I sink my little savings in one of these places (some look quite nice by the way) I want to know what I am getting into.

Thanks for your replies/suggestions
We live in one on 3 acres and it is better built than most of the new houses. It's really nice, we have a wood stove and a garage built on.
Carrie

Old 07-22-2007, 09:45 AM

562 posts, read 660,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
I disagree. Not all mobile home/trailer parks are what everyone thinks of as run down and overriden with criminals. Yes some are. However some parks are clean and neat and people take pride in their ownership. Plus with housing the way it is, that may be all that someone can afford.

And to make a statement that apartments and mobile home parks should be segregated from the "nice houses" is just plain wrong. If an area were that concerned about a particular apartment building or mobile home park, work on getting that one in order.

If all the mobile homes were demolished, where would these people go? It is not like all of these people are on welfare-they don't make a lot perhaps but they work. Are they going to afford a $300,000 home, which is all that they are building by me for out of staters? Sure let's put more people on public assistance we really need that.
It takes hard work and dedication to afford a real house with a nice yard. Nobody wants slackers living nearby in trailer homes or apartments. As far as public assistance goes, if they had real jobs and were hard workers they wouldn't need it. New Hampshire has been traditionally a state which has frowned upon hand outs and I hope they don't lower their standards in the future for people who don't want to put on work boots in the morning.

Old 07-22-2007, 10:09 AM

4,565 posts, read 10,658,413 times
LOL. I dont live in a mobile home, but people gotta live somewhere. If it were not for inexpensive housing like apartments, mobiles, etc, where would people with low wages live? Lets think of a world without low income people and low income houses.

Restaurant - All buffets, help yourself. Want refill on that soda? Get it yourself

Electronics Store - Have a question on a stereo? Look it up on the internet, this is a help yourself store, we dont have salespeople.

Restrooms - EEEk the bathrooms in this place are dirty, why doesnt someone clean them. Oh i didnt see the sign that says "Its up to you our customer to keep our bathrooms clean.

If everyone had high paying jobs, who would work the low paying jobs?

That said. With the high prices of real estate in New England, I would stay away from mobile home parks. The park can sell the land right out from under you and give you notice to move your mobile. Most "mobiles" cannot be moved. They would just fall apart. So your basically left with nothing. If you must have a mobile, put it on a cheap piece of land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire