Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 06:30 PM

8 posts, read 16,217 times

Advertisements

Hi-

Im new to Manchester (and internet forums...), i just moved here from the Midwest two days ago. Now that I'm finally here I have even more questions than before...

- My house is heated with oil, which is something I didn't even know people did anymore. I've literally never heard of it! I guess you buy oil by the gallon? How much should I expect to use for, say, a month? Is it like 10 gallons or 100 gallons? I'm totally lost on this one...

-Traffic signs with red arrows. Is it different than just being red? You still can't drive, right? Or can you just not turn?

-Is there town wifi that you can sign up for that works everywhere? Or do you just have to find the hotspots?

-Where is the best spot to buy organic groceries and products? I saw they had a section at Hannafords. Is there a cheaper place?

Whats there to do here? I did find a lot of cool thrift shops when I was furnishing my place, and I saw that you have a few record shops too. I mean, no matter what, there's a lot more here than where I came from. But if you wanted to meet some cool people, where would you go? (i'm 23, newly single)

Oh, and where are some cheap places to eat? When my fam was here helping me move in, I just kept going to D'Angelos because I didn't know where else to go. I'm guessing theres a lot of places, I just don't know them yet.

Thanks! -Stevie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 06:48 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,698,696 times
www.tripadvisor.com will help with places to eat. You really want to buy records?

Old 02-20-2011, 07:05 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,066,733 times
Im new to Manchester (and internet forums...), i just moved here from the Midwest two days ago. Now that I'm finally here I have even more questions than before...

Welcome!!!

- My house is heated with oil, which is something I didn't even know people did anymore. I've literally never heard of it! I guess you buy oil by the gallon? How much should I expect to use for, say, a month? Is it like 10 gallons or 100 gallons? I'm totally lost on this one...

Yes...depends on your house and furnace. We sign up for a regular delivery of whatever it takes to fill the tank. From Lorden Oil (good prices, dunno if they service manchester). It's about $3 a gallon right now (or so)...we burn about 450-500 gallons a year...total...for you it depends on a lot!

-Traffic signs with red arrows. Is it different than just being red? You still can't drive, right? Or can you just not turn?

Just treat it as a red light and you'll be fine...usually they are in spots where there may be other "go straight or right" lanes with green lights...but they don't want you turning left at that time.

-Is there town wifi that you can sign up for that works everywhere? Or do you just have to find the hotspots?

No idea...I don't think Manchester has a wifi network but I could be wrong.

-Where is the best spot to buy organic groceries and products? I saw they had a section at Hannafords. Is there a cheaper place?

Sorry, I don't know food shopping in Manchester...

Whats there to do here? I did find a lot of cool thrift shops when I was furnishing my place, and I saw that you have a few record shops too. I mean, no matter what, there's a lot more here than where I came from. But if you wanted to meet some cool people, where would you go? (i'm 23, newly single)

Checkout meetup dot com There is a "southern NH young professionals" group that is very active/with good folks...as well as many others that may be of interest. A good way to meet some like-minded folks. Other than that what do you like to do? Otherwise there is just too much to list!

Oh, and where are some cheap places to eat? When my fam was here helping me move in, I just kept going to D'Angelos because I didn't know where else to go. I'm guessing theres a lot of places, I just don't know them yet.

There is a good wing place right off Elm Street, and Red Arrow Diner is good (some people don't like it...I do), and a Taqueria (Consuela's or something?)...all right in Manchester and walkable off Elm easily.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:06 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,066,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
You really want to buy records?
They do sound richer than DVDs... I like them!

Old 02-20-2011, 07:37 PM

5 posts, read 9,628 times
My house is heated with oil, which is something I didn't even know people did anymore. I've literally never heard of it! I guess you buy oil by the gallon? How much should I expect to use for, say, a month? Is it like 10 gallons or 100 gallons? I'm totally lost on this one...
Not too sure about that, sorry!

If the light is green and also has a red arrow that just means you can't turn in that direction but you can go straight.
-Is there town wifi that you can sign up for that works everywhere? Or do you just have to find the hotspots? Downtown (Elm St. area) has a wifi network, but most of the places in that are also have it.

-Where is the best spot to buy organic groceries and products? I saw they had a section at Hannafords. Is there a cheaper place? I shop at Hannafords and have found they have the best organic prices, especially if it's the Natures Place brand which I believe is the store brand.

I'm also 23, and the nightlife downtown is really fun. Lot's of people around our age, lots of little bars and restaurants and live music. Try going to The Black Brimmer, Wings Your Way, JW Hills, Murphy's, Varicks, Raxx, or pretty much anywhere along Elm St. It's lots of fun.

Oh, and where are some cheap places to eat? When my fam was here helping me move in, I just kept going to D'Angelos because I didn't know where else to go. I'm guessing theres a lot of places, I just don't know them yet. The Red Arrow is cheap, it's on Laurel St off of Elm. There are plenty of other places around, just try them

Old 02-20-2011, 08:36 PM

8 posts, read 16,217 times
Wow you guys are awesome, thanks so much! and yes, haha, i do want to buy records, i like the crackle and pop noises it just seems better. i also have a vhs player, but that was not by choice. i just moved here without any of my belongings (like dvds), and haven't got cable yet.

withwingsofsilk- are people usually out during the week, or just weekends? Thanks for all of the ideas! I'm stoked to go out some cool places, i lived in an area where there wasnt **** to do, everyone just hung out in peoples basements. which is cool sometimes, but u never meet anyone new that way,and i want to see live music.

oh, and about jobs... i read you guys have a really low unemployment rate, or at least compared to where I just came from (we had like 18%). Im looking for maybe two part time jobs? Since I'll be in school it would probably be hard to find someone willing to work around that full time.. so is this the kind of town where you have to know someone, or can I just walk in and ask for an app?

Old 02-20-2011, 09:10 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,036,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviej870 View Post
I'm new to Manchester (and internet forums...), i just moved here from the Midwest two days ago. Now that I'm finally here I have even more questions than before...
first, welcome to NH and to the forum!

Quote:
begs the question: why do you only want to buy 1 month's worth of oil??? days and nights are still (probably) cold and you'll want heat. even when the days get warmer, the nights will still chill down a lot for a while. and that oil furnace probably is heating your water? the oil doesn't exactly go bad if it sits over the summer.

what I did when we bought our house in greenville and were faced with having to pre-buy oil for the first time ever, I asked my neighbors who they recommended and checked out a lot of websites. Although no one used Lorden's (they have a rep for being expensive, but they often aren't and are sometimes cheaper! but you have to call for their rate) I remembered them. So I called. turns out the previous owners had a contract with them for the past few years! that meant that Lorden's also had the info on how much oil was used each winter and year. so we stayed with them.

Quote:
you can't do whatever the red arrow is saying, until it is no longer red. Likely it's for turning, but if it's pointing straight up, then you can't go straight ahead in that lane.

Quote:
Hannafords is one of the higher end chains. You might try Shaws or Stop & Shop if there's one around. Market Basket is usually the lowest end, but I have no idea how they are on organic stuff.

Quote:
do you have a car? do you like outdoors stuff? there's lots to do all over the state if you do.

Quote:
as people have said: the Red Arrow Diner is famous. Mind you, it's basic diner food. however, if you are politically inclined, most of the candidates that run for president usually show up there. So you can probably run into them and a lot of wannabes.
What sort of food do you like? might help people suggest places to you - might be outside of Manchester.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:32 PM

5 posts, read 9,628 times
People are usually out Thurs - Sunday, but some places downtown can be packed during the week or holidays. The Strange Brew on Market St (which is off of Elm behind city hall) has deals like 2 dollar drink nights and live music. Milly's is also a fun place to go for dancing and drinks, as well as live music. I think it's on Canal St, about 3 blocks down from Elm. The Shaskeen on Elm is another great place with live music. Just explore Elm St. and the side streets, there's lots of fun places

Old 02-21-2011, 05:40 AM

193 posts, read 534,156 times
You cannot turn left on a red arrow, but you can turn right on a red arrow after stopping as with a normal red light.

http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/dmv/documents/nhdm.pdf (broken link)

Old 02-21-2011, 08:20 AM

369 posts, read 964,581 times
Compare oil pricing here.
Keep in mind not all heating companies are listed on that website, and the minimum order for a delivery varies from company to company.

Your best bet for part time jobs would most likely be in retail and yes you can just walk in and request an application.

Best wishes and good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire