Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 09:01 AM

7 posts, read 16,795 times

Advertisements

I am a 40 year old with wife and 2 kids. We are private, kind, god fearing folks. We are not interested in politics, but would classify us as conservative because i believe in freedom from government controlling every decision in our lives. We want to buy a couple hundred acres and live a self sufficient life somewhere. We are looking for a community that feels that family values are superior to restrictive government control. Reasonable or no taxes. Good local economy for wood or farm products,
strong christian church activities, outdoor recreation and wildlife..... and no liberal transplants from NYC. Thanks in advance for any input!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 10:14 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,374,791 times
Hi paleriders

I saw your post in the VT forum first so I'll give you a little saying about VT and NH.

Back when the early settlers came up the Connecitcut River to settle northern New England, some turned RIGHT and settled in NH. Others turned LEFT and settled in VT.

If you are trying to avoid liberal NYC transplants stay far away from Manchester VT. You are likely to run into liberal transplants from Mass in southern NH and also Woodstock VT too. In general the further away you get from the tourist traps in both states the more likely you'll find what you're looking for I think.

As someone who grew up in Vermont and has a business there but who has lived in NH for about the past ten years I can tell you that while the climate and landscape may be similar, the politics are different.

The general attitude of people in both states are pretty much live and let live and you won't find people poking their noses into your business. They will stop and help if you are stopped by the side of the road if youa rein the middle of nowhere.

The state of VT is more likely to stick its nose into what you are doing than NH. Overall it sounds like between the two, NH would be more to your liking. NH has low taxes and nowhere near as much government as VT. To a certain extent you get what you pay for - schools, roads, plowing etc can leave a lot to be desired in the Live Free or Die state. But if you can run a snowplow or blower, are handy with power generators for when the power goes out you can live a simple and good life.

Outdoor recreation is available in both states, hiking, hunting, fishing, kayaking, skiiing (cross-country and downhill) or if you're into motorized stuff, four wheeling and snowmobiling. If you like to ride bicycle I hope you like mountains because there isn't much flat here.

It's also not hard to find active churches in either state.

The only things I'm not sure about are when you say several hundred acres for farming and a community that has a good economy for wood and / or farm products. Farmers struggle as it is here. I know a few and the more successful ones usually have something to enhance their farming actitivies, for example they don't just have a farm stand, they also have a nursery with plants they've raised and they sell local products that don't make it into the grocery stores.

Good luck and I hope you find what you're looking for.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:39 PM

223 posts, read 540,208 times
I agree with above. Farmers/farming on the economic decline... Starting fresh etc. you would probably face economic ruin within a year or two or three... haven't heard a farm success story in a long time, and that includes family farms going back generations. Dairy farms are even in more trouble. Look for a Plan B.

Old 04-18-2011, 05:43 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,696,907 times
Plenty of nice places although I don't understand what "god fearing" means?

Old 04-18-2011, 06:07 PM

817 posts, read 2,188,621 times
paleriders - check nneren.com. I've seen a couple of farms that have acreage like that, though I'm not sure how much of it is in crops.

Last edited by vter; 04-19-2011 at 08:50 AM.. Reason: rude content

Old 04-18-2011, 06:36 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
God bless you, but there is no place, no such place exists anymore. If you find one and need a ram rod I am it. If that floats yer stick any make sure there is sugar maples to tap. It's a good thing to do to pass Spring time grays..

Old 04-18-2011, 07:03 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,034,225 times
and how flexible can you be with that? only place you're gonna find low taxes is gonna be up North Country - and the growing season is a little shorter up there, don't know how good your farming is going to be.... there is no place in this country (world?) that is no tax. NH has no income tax (mostly) and no sales tax, but property tax and assorted other fees are still there, can't avoid them- can only look for lower.

Good local economy for wood or farm products? there is no 'good economy' anywhere, really. NH has tons of wood products and farm stands all over every town. don't be thinking that's the way to make all your income...

however the farther north you go, the fewer transplants from more nanny-ing states you're likely to run into.

good luck, though.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:17 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,696,907 times
Are you looking for this farm to totally support you and your family? I think that would be very hard to do in my opinion.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:44 PM

164 posts, read 398,289 times
You will find that lifestyle here in Tennessee where we moved. Don't think I ever experienced that in New Hampshire.

Old 04-19-2011, 03:53 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
Are you looking for this farm to totally support you and your family? I think that would be very hard to do in my opinion.

It depends on his needs, not his wants, but with a 'couple hundred acers' He can work to pay taxes by making items he can sell twice a year, and almost never leave his land.

It is a hard life to be that way, but I know people today in Maine that live that very way. They live back in the woods 20+ miles and only come out twice. That's to sell items they made from the woods.

They make a couple wood and canvass canoes a year, and get a fair buck from them. They make brown ash packs and baskets, hooked rugs, and assorted other items that sell fast at fairs. They raise all their own meats, and veggies, I might guess maple products too.

They live to far back to offer cord/fire wood for sale, so that doesn't happen for more than their own needs.

They have kids and home school them. As each kid grew to driving age, each one was given a rusted out truck and told you fix it, make it go and it's yours.

It can be done, but it's hard. All their work goes to pay the taxes. There is no getting around that anywhere I know of in the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire