U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 06:57 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,198,373 times

Advertisements

Now that the fun of winter has past and the snow is all melted we are focusing on spring time and getting things moving in the gardens.

I used the nice weather this weekend to get a couple of plots tilled under and some planting done.

So far, I've planted parsnips, carrots, peas and a small section of radishes in the ground and also have tomatoes, peppers and a few other varieties of plants started in the basement.

This time of year, I get quite anxious and would like to have much more tilled and planted but it's still a little early.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 07:11 AM

1,239 posts, read 1,864,794 times
Outside: peas, carrots, green beans, lettuce, spinach, swiss chard, cucumbers, zucchini, squash, oregano

Inside for now: tomatoes, peppers, basil, thyme, parsley

Not sure if the kohlrabi is planted yet.

Blueberry bushes are looking great!

Had to plant new strawberries this year so won't get much yield there.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:13 AM

41,479 posts, read 55,830,410 times
Considering this last winter the ICEBERG lettuce did rather well. Actually just trimmed back the shrubs and am watching tulips and iris start to bloom.

Old 05-03-2011, 05:42 PM

278 posts, read 1,009,947 times
We're moving to Dover in late June...probably too late to start a garden.
However, I would LOVE to grow some pumpkins & gourds for the fall...any tips for a newbie?
When should we plant them?
I love this thread & will check back soon!
~L

Old 05-03-2011, 06:00 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,431,277 times
I got blackberry vines everywhere and did not even have to plant anything.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:41 AM

41,479 posts, read 55,830,410 times
lorilou - Plant zuchinni and/or pumpkins.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:27 AM

4,636 posts, read 13,070,924 times
Default Square Foot Gardening?

Except for sugar snap peas, we're still a few weeks out from planting anything. Which gives me a few more weeks to complete our square foot raised beds. Has anyone out there tried this technique, and what were your results? I am so looking forward, and hope that we have the same warm and sunny summer that we did last year!

My house seems to be in a funky little micro-climate all it's own. The forsythia have JUST starting to bloom, the tulips and daffodils are up and beautiful. Creeping phlox are close to blooming, and Bleeding Heart is up, but not even close to bloom. I was at an appointment north of my house, and couldn't believe all of the blooming going on there vs. at my house.

Please share pictures of your gardens, whether flowers or food! Look forward to sharing mine as well

Old 05-04-2011, 11:50 AM

1,771 posts, read 4,769,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
Except for sugar snap peas, we're still a few weeks out from planting anything. Which gives me a few more weeks to complete our square foot raised beds. Has anyone out there tried this technique, and what were your results?
Yes; I used compost & peat moss in 4'x4'x10" beds.

I had 8 Roma & 8 Brandywine Tomato plants in one bed supported by those 1" metal round cages...all 16 thrived and we had hundreds of tomatoes all summer long.

Additionally my leafy vegetables did awesome (two collards over-wintered actually- so I have them now to eat).

Root vegetables I planted too late so harvested them tiny.

Peas were overrun by weeds because I was too lazy.

But it was an experimental year and square foot gardening worked well. Experiment with plant spacing...

This year I'm planting 6 beds: tomato, peppers, leafy greens, summer squash, winter squash and experimental/mix...

Old 05-04-2011, 02:55 PM

No raised beds here....

As for the rest of the yard, the heather, tulips, and daffodils are in bloom. The iris have LOADS of buds. Some azaleas are in bloom. One cherry is past, one is peak, and one should bloom tomorrow.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:58 PM

Hey, where does everyone get bulbs from? We've been doing Brecks. Some have been great, others have been terrible. Many of our daffodils are bloomless....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire