Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 04:39 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,544,214 times

Advertisements

Just came back from Woodmans in Litchfield. It is praised by every review one can find..until of course now.

Expensive..YES

Good quantity for your money..YES

Freshness.. yep..

Too bad it is also bland, bland, bland..

if you live near other seafood restaurants save yourself the extra travel and money, better fair can be had at Tinkers, of the Lobster Claw in Derry.

This place carries accolades from the Phantom Gourmet.. perhaps he should think about retiring
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 04:55 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,066,733 times
Petey's in Rye is absolutely amazing. I had fried whole clams and their seafood chowder...both were awesome. Tried family member's lobster bisque and fish chowder- both the best I've ever had. Wife had fish sandwich and usually doesn't like fish very much- she loved it. They use a nice light breading and the food itself is really fresh...prices weren't bad either.

We went end of April...they are open year round now- I imagine it is packed in the summer.

Dave- you should check it out...

Old 05-13-2011, 05:01 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,698,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
Just came back from Woodmans in Litchfield. It is praised by every review one can find..until of course now.

Expensive..YES

Freshness.. yep..

if you live near other seafood restaurants save yourself the extra travel and money, better fair can be had at Tinkers, of the Lobster Claw in Derry.

This place carries accolades from the Phantom Gourmet.. perhaps he should think about retiring

Tell me what kind of "taste" you have and I can suggest a place that might be appropriate for your type of eating specifications.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:17 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Hey Aptor you ever try that sea foods place above Bristol on the southern end of lake? Went there once so far, and liked it. Can't recall the name of the place but it was pretty fair.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BF66389 View Post
Petey's in Rye is absolutely amazing. I had fried whole clams and their seafood chowder...both were awesome. Tried family member's lobster bisque and fish chowder- both the best I've ever had. Wife had fish sandwich and usually doesn't like fish very much- she loved it. They use a nice light breading and the food itself is really fresh...prices weren't bad either.

We went end of April...they are open year round now- I imagine it is packed in the summer.

Dave- you should check it out...
Both Peteys and Rays are very good places, we try to drop by each at least once a summer

Old 05-13-2011, 06:03 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,698,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Hey Aptor you ever try that sea foods place above Bristol on the southern end of lake? Went there once so far, and liked it. Can't recall the name of the place but it was pretty fair.
It sounds like a place I went once during motorcyle weekend and it was yummy!!! They had swordfish.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:26 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
I had steamers and the red bug... Not bad.. Just over in Maine off Rt 25 is another sea foods joint I like, but can't recall the name of. BUT they add cheese to red bug pie ...... That won't happen again..

Old 05-13-2011, 07:22 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,947,733 times
Several years ago, we biked down to the original Woodman's in Ipswich (or is it Essex? I can never remember where the town line is.) ANYWAY... we had been told that we HAD to try their clam cakes... they were supposed to be THE ORIGINAL, THE BEST, etc. We got them and were highly disappointed. It was a greasy ball of dough with a small clam in the middle. Nothing like the clam cakes that DH was raised on up in Maine which were more like scallion pancakes (cept with clams) I agree, I really like Lobster Claw (lousy location but great food). Better than Clam Haven up the street, imo.

When did The Phantom Gourmet start venturing up to NH?I thought they were mainly Boston-based (I occasionally get to listen to their radio show on Saturday afternoons WTKK 96.9)

Quote:

Expensive..YES

Freshness.. yep..

We go to Ray's a couple of times each year, but haven't tried Petey's. Thanks for the recommendation! We usually get the twins or triplets (bugs) at Little Jack's, and this weekend are planning to get to Newick's in Dover. Tis seafood season once again!

Quote:
Both Peteys and Rays are very good places, we try to drop by each at least once a summer

Old 05-13-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
Tell me what kind of "taste" you have and I can suggest a place that might be appropriate for your type of eating specifications.
Well I loved the old Yoken's and the old Old Salt. Petey's and Rays as mentioned. The Lobster Barn in Maine is a nice summer ride for good food.

I used to be a fan of Clam King but it has gone down hill. First impressions were of the old Armand's on second street...mmmmm sweet memories. So if you have eaten at those places you know my likes.

One of the best seafood feasts I ever had was at the Ashworth, baked stuffed lobster with a mini fishermans platter.. decadent, and delicious.

Places I do not care for include Weathervane and Newick's . Both places served these tiny little shrimp in their seafood plates ( I know Weathervane still does, not sure about Newicks anymore)

Old 05-13-2011, 07:51 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,947,733 times
I'll mention the shrimp thing at Newick's to other family members. I never would have known--when we go to a 'fried food' type of place, I always order half clam/half scallop. Can't go wrong with that.

Funny tho, shrimp is something that I never even consider eating at seafood restaurants. Can't eat it fried. Tried fried lobster last summer, that was a mistake I won't make again. Crustaceans, imo, are best prepared simply. Boiled or steamed, served up with butter, lemon juice. To each their own
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire