Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 08:36 AM

7 posts, read 49,327 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My significant other and I are looking to move to Portsmouth, NH. We have visited the city and we think that it is beautiful, and we are very excited to move. I have a few questions, however.

1. We can only afford an apartment that costs $850 a month at *most*. I have been looking on Craigslist and the apartments at this price range look OK, but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with apartments of this cost in Portsmouth - if so, please tell me about the quality and the experiences relative to this price range. In other words, what kind of quality can I expect for this price?

2. Politics! This is a big issue for us. We are adherents of Ayn Rand's philosophy, so regarding politics, we are supporters of laissez-faire capitalism, (i.e. we support small government, and we believe that the government's proper role is to protect individual rights: police force, military, judicial system). Therefore, I would like to know what kind of political and moral attitudes we will be encountering. For example, what is the attitude towards wealthy businessmen? We have a lot of admiration for self-made, hard working, successful individuals, and it would be stressful to live in an atmosphere that despises wealth and success (which I heard is the attitude in Vermont). We value economic and personal freedom - will we be finding in Portsmouth that many disagree with us? In other words, are we going to be encountering a lot of bleeding heart liberals, or will we be ostracized for our beliefs? I've found that where I live now, in Toledo, I find a lot of hostility towards Ayn Rand and capitalism. I would really like to get away from that.

If you have any more information that you think would be of value to us, please let me know! I would love to hear about your experiences living in the city, even if they are not related to my questions above.

Last edited by AnnaQuinne; 05-23-2011 at 09:19 AM.. Reason: Grammar, Clarity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 01:21 PM

348 posts, read 850,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaQuinne View Post
We have a lot of admiration for self-made, hard working, successful individuals, and it would be stressful to live in an atmosphere that despises wealth and success (which I heard is the attitude in Vermont). We value economic and personal freedom - will we be finding in Portsmouth that many disagree with us? In other words, are we going to be encountering a lot of bleeding heart liberals, or will we be ostracized for our beliefs? I've found that where I live now, in Toledo, I find a lot of hostility towards Ayn Rand and capitalism. I would really like to get away from that.
Talk about painting areas (and people) with a broad brush. If you are as harsh and condescending in person, well yes, you should be ostracized.

Why don't you take a trip to Portsmouth, pen and paper in hand, and take a good ole' fashioned straw pole on who does or does not like capitalism. Or perhaps you'd like to administer an IQ test to everyone while you're at it. Or, will surrounding yourself by any percentange of people who are not of your, um, ilk, stress you out too much?

I never knew, until reading your enlightened post, that Vermont
despises wealth and success. I was born and raised there, and, that's news to me. Many Vermonters enjoy the clean and fresh air, skiing, boating, fishing, farming (VT has managed to hang on to a decent share of old family farms). Perhaps the resistance to mega-Walmarts and out of control sprawl, sprinkled with wearing too much flannel, makes Vermonts intellectually inferior.

I lived in the Portsmouth area for many years. To a more, um, let's just say, down-to-earth poster, I would love to give advice and recommendations on the city and the seacoast area in general. To you, not so much.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:33 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,850,891 times
too funny...if you are coming from Toledo, I think Portsmouth would be paradise!

Old 05-23-2011, 02:14 PM

To clarify my position for others reading, I understand that people are individuals and it's hard to say that an area "has" a particular mentality - but I think it's appropriate to categorize, in general, what the attitude is of the majority of people in an area (for example, New Hampshire is known to be a "free" minded state - after all, the state motto is "Live Free or Die"!). I didn't mean to suggest in my post that I want to surround myself with people who believe exactly the same things that I do - but I come from an area where my beliefs are met with hostility, and I'm hoping to find in Portsmouth people who are more willing to discuss ideas openly without acting smug or nasty, which is what I encounter a lot where I live. My philosophy is important to me and I hope to find people who are not hostile to it, and hopefully maybe even sympathetic. If that is "conceited," so be it.

I didn't mean to offend everyone from Vermont, I just saw in another post that some entrepreneurs have moved from Vermont to New Hampshire because NH is more welcoming to them, and that in Vermont they were met with rudeness because they were wealthy.

"Perhaps the resistance to mega-Walmarts..." < This is the kind of attitude I'm talking about.

Hope I've clarified. Thanks for reading.

Last edited by AnnaQuinne; 05-23-2011 at 02:29 PM.. Reason: Grammar

Old 05-23-2011, 02:33 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,376,187 times
Didn't Vermont just elect a wealthy businessman to be the new governor?

Seriously, while some (myself included) find the state government in VT to be hostile to businesses, it is unlike the people of Vermont or the Granite State to be rude to anyone because of their wealth (or lack thereof) or their political leanings (which most couldn't care less about).

If course if a newcomer is obnoxious and in everyone's face about their world view, they'll get the cold shoulder, but that is probably true everywhere.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:35 PM

Thanks FrugalYankee.

I normally don't really initiate conversation about my personal beliefs, but I thought it would be appropriate in this thread since I was asking a specific question regarding them.

Old 05-23-2011, 04:34 PM

1,200 posts, read 2,217,383 times
Quote:
Hello!

My significant other and I are looking to move to Portsmouth, NH. We have visited the city and we think that it is beautiful, and we are very excited to move. I have a few questions, however.

1. We can only afford an apartment that costs $850 a month at *most*. I have been looking on Craigslist and the apartments at this price range look OK, but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with apartments of this cost in Portsmouth - if so, please tell me about the quality and the experiences relative to this price range. In other words, what kind of quality can I expect for this price?

2. Politics! This is a big issue for us. We are adherents of Ayn Rand's philosophy, so regarding politics, we are supporters of laissez-faire capitalism, (i.e. we support small government, and we believe that the government's proper role is to protect individual rights: police force, military, judicial system). Therefore, I would like to know what kind of political and moral attitudes we will be encountering. For example, what is the attitude towards wealthy businessmen? We have a lot of admiration for self-made, hard working, successful individuals, and it would be stressful to live in an atmosphere that despises wealth and success (which I heard is the attitude in Vermont). We value economic and personal freedom - will we be finding in Portsmouth that many disagree with us? In other words, are we going to be encountering a lot of bleeding heart liberals, or will we be ostracized for our beliefs? I've found that where I live now, in Toledo, I find a lot of hostility towards Ayn Rand and capitalism. I would really like to get away from that.

If you have any more information that you think would be of value to us, please let me know! I would love to hear about your experiences living in the city, even if they are not related to my questions above.
If you have libertarian views Portsmouth is not the place for you. Liberal city along the lines of Keene.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:30 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,658,413 times
Quote:
We can only afford an apartment that costs $850 a month at *most*.
You want to hang with the locals, and talk politics, you need to live downtown portsmouth and visit the town square every morning and hang out near the coffee shops. Unfortunately, for $850 you will get no more than a studio apartment.

If you choose to rent on the edges of town, you will be unhappy because of the lack of social gathering places. Like any other town.

Downtown Portsmouth is very unique.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:06 PM

193 posts, read 534,228 times
Portsmouth has plenty of people who share your view on small government; in general, NH isn't a place where you'll be ostracized for your beliefs unless they're extreme and overly proselytized.

If you see places in your price range on Craigslist, then that's a pretty good guide. For $850, I would expect that you're looking at small apartments. If you have a question about a particular location, go ahead and ask -- I grew up in Portsmouth, so I know the area well.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdamien View Post
If you have a question about a particular location, go ahead and ask -- I grew up in Portsmouth, so I know the area well.
Would it be possible for you to give me a quick idea of which streets/neighborhoods to stay away from? I'm trying to stay away from crime as much as possible (I've heard Portsmouth is safe, but are there any bad areas?)

I'm *really* hoping to get an apartment in the middle of town but, of course, that might not be possible. I'm basically willing to move into any apartment from which I can ride my bicycle to downtown in 20 minutes. That's basically my limit.

If there's any other info that you think I should know, I would really like to hear it. I've done quite a bit of research about Portsmouth online (and visited it once for a few hours) but there's only so much you can know about a place without spending a bit of time there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire