Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 10:07 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times

Advertisements

I hope I have time to deal with the digital pics we took over the past couple of days. When I get them and see if they are any good I will post one in the garden room here on C-D, and link to photobucket the rest. You dm me any time you want, and can get a real name, number and addey to get here. I don't know where you are and don't need to till after you come. I think I told you before the internet to me is nothing more than a big library... If you choose to not say where yer at then that's still up to you. I am sure you will be fully entertained over here. Every one else is. The one requirement is a love of the outdoors and nature. Seems to me you have that or you wouldn't be building cabins in my mountains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 05:57 AM

586 posts, read 1,506,299 times
Mac, let us know when you post a pic - I'd love to see it!

We hiked part of the SRK greenway yesterday and part of it was through a marshy/boggy area -- it was wicked thick with skeeters -- even the dog was snorting them out her nose. It's been a bad bug season, I agree. At least the blackflies are almost done.

Old 06-05-2011, 06:53 AM

SRK is ringing the bell but no body's home...What is that place in big words?

Sure when I get the pics loaded to photobucket i can say so here I guess if I remember.

I got CRS bad and can't remember what those letters are for either????????

I ain't timid, so you can come too, just bring the dog. I live about 14 miles south of the east entrance to the Kanc. Oh you said 'we' so any SO you may have is ok by me too.

I don't know if I will get the upper part done today. 2 days of breathing in smudge fire smoke has my throat a little raw. I got some maint to get done on the toyota too, and can maybe do that out in the sun where less bugs will get me. Around here there is always work to be done, tha much never fails.

And even then after the top of the lenai gets done the place in a general way still isn't finished. There is one last stone wall not done, some steps I haven't thought about much not done. The newest bolder wall needs someing on the south face that will grow in shade. The middle wall has Irises in too much shade so they need to find a new home under the sun.

It's looking like there cold be enough small bolders to build a knee wall below the bolder wall, and there I might build a shed roof for a gas grill thang. I won't like that look mmuch myself, but there are other peps here that might like a grill we have to be there in season.

The grill is black and I got camp paint LOL. I just don't understand any need of a instant on gas grill in my stone henge place. It already has a fire place.

Yeah these bugs are heavy this time. Also here there is lady slippers up the wazzoo, many more than my idea of normal, and many in places there were not at before.

Another thing I find odd is from 06 till this past Spring I was only able to make 3+ galllons of maple syrup with the about the same amount of buckets. This time I made 11 gallons, and a little. That's more like it for around 40 buckets.

Me and bugs go way back, and for a while they sort of almost went missing. I can't say I minded that much, so having them back in heavy numbers is a little rugged. I used to pride myself on not wearing bug dope. Looks like I get to eat crow this year. Last year up in Bartlett my Bride bought some fancy bug dope made in Jackson. This stuff isn't to bad and has no deet, but it lasts a shorter time. It won't melt modern clothing or stain it either, the down side is frequent slatherings.

But yesterday the skeeters flew in the think smudge with out a care. I think on one I saw red spots on it's wings.... I know for a fact a zillion met an early demise.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:55 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,246,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I hope I have time to deal with the digital pics we took over the past couple of days. When I get them and see if they are any good I will post one in the garden room here on C-D, and link to photobucket the rest. You dm me any time you want, and can get a real name, number and addey to get here. I don't know where you are and don't need to till after you come. I think I told you before the internet to me is nothing more than a big library... If you choose to not say where yer at then that's still up to you. I am sure you will be fully entertained over here. Every one else is. The one requirement is a love of the outdoors and nature. Seems to me you have that or you wouldn't be building cabins in my mountains.
Maybe i spoke a little to soon. Went down to the river to try to get some breakfast and those mosquitoes were really thick. Not a whole lot of wind down there. Got back up to the cabin and they wern't bad at all. I'm in Effingham over by Green Mtn. I'll definatly be getting in touch .Thanks

Old 06-06-2011, 09:30 AM

586 posts, read 1,506,299 times
Quote:
SRK is ringing the bell but no body's home...What is that place in big words?
Sorry, it's the Sunapee-Ragged-Kearsarge Greenway - a network of hiking rails connecting the three mountains.

Quote:
I ain't timid, so you can come too, just bring the dog. I live about 14 miles south of the east entrance to the Kanc. Oh you said 'we' so any SO you may have is ok by me too.
You are sweet. If we ever get up that way and have time to spare we will definitely look you up!

Quote:
Yeah these bugs are heavy this time. Also here there is lady slippers up the wazzoo, many more than my idea of normal, and many in places there were not at before.
We saw a bunch of lady slippers on our hike yesterday up Mt. Israel - they were pretty. There are even some on the side of Rt 11 between New London and Wilmot - I saw them the other day and I don't remember seeing them there before.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:36 AM

Here just on this place are hundreds of lady slippers. We have to take care where we place our feet so as to not damage them. I haven't made a real count, but am confident the numbers are in the hundreds.

Collecting the moss there isn't a place i can set back against a tree to rest and now end up spying out others at a distance i hadn't seen before. These are all the pink variety not the rarer yellow mocs.

I am hoping by this evening to have the moss pics up. This is a little bother as I can't really upload well on my pc which is a 56k connection, so I get to use another system, well my wife does.

Just so things are straight, I rent. The lenai is a gift of labor to me and one who uses it, but in the end the LL owns it. I service his stuff, and for that I gets use of most of his stuff, the 1 ton dump, the toyota pick up the Bob Cat and that like.

I have tools he hasn't, and he has tools I don't, but combined there is nearly nothing we can't do.

I don't know all the in's and out's of his machine shop tools so I don't risk breaking them. Other than that what I do know how to use he has no problem if i do. He has his skills and I have mine and it all ends up well.

I am the type that if i never did something, but want what ever it is I just try. The worst possible event in trying is I might fail, and sometimes i do. I can't quill with porky pine quills worth a damn.

My usually cooked off finger prints just don't deal with slippery small things and quills are. So that is a skill I am not going to bother with again. Just an example.

It seems even my wife is better at harvesting moss than I am. We get about an equal amount in the same time, but her work is far neater, and more regular, and the bottom side appears as if she just skinned a buffaloe, where my work is ragged and rough.

A lot of skeeters come out of that moss, and so did some ticks, or the ticks came from getting to the moss. One we found crawling in our bed room and the other I plucked off my wifes neck, but it wasn't dug in well, having been there only moments.

Does NH have more than one MT Israel I wonder, or were you up Nawth?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire