Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 08:17 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,450,823 times

Advertisements

Merrimack Valley Taxpayers About to be Scammed - NH Tea Party Coalition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 06:53 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I will have to ask if the Londonderry School system has signed up for this program. The goals of the program seem to be to create internationally employable, after a suitable college education, people. Being able to enter a far larger job market provides more, not less, opportunity to the students. I cannot object to that.

IMHO all the baggage of the past (our Constitution is the best, our Democracy actually functions, we are God's chosen people etc.) merely limits opportunity for the next generations. Better to teach the reality than the fictionalized past.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:20 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,849,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
IMHO all the baggage of the past (our Constitution is the best, our Democracy actually functions, we are God's chosen people etc.) merely limits opportunity for the next generations. Better to teach the reality than the fictionalized past.
Right, that Constitution has been a real drag.... So what if the United States government is the longest duration currently in existance... So what if tens of millions of people around the world would like to live here... Who cares if humdreds of millions do not have the freedom of speech and other rights ensured by the constitution....

Last edited by vter; 06-08-2011 at 04:34 PM..

Old 06-08-2011, 01:20 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,373,819 times
Education is one thing that the Constitution has nothing to do with.
The fact is that things have reached the point where third world countries are eating the US' lunch as far as providing a decent education to their children. Our children are getting diplomas despite having worse and worse simple math skills (not sufficient to be able to handle simple machining operations, let alone DESIGN something new) never mind having communication skills that rarely go beyond being able to send a txt msg.
There's more to life than American Idol and the Bachelor - we shouldn't shield our kids from hard work when they are young unless we want to train them to avoid it when they are older.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:36 PM

68 posts, read 118,358 times
The IB program isn't anything new. It's been at my high school, which has saved us financially and by accreditation. Not to mention my high school is in Virginia.

Besides I didn't mind the current textbooks and dedicated teachers that came along.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:41 PM

263 posts, read 859,130 times
I agree Frugal! My son is 12. He does NOT have a cell phone and I will NOT allow it. Almost all of his friends do - and all they do is text, text, text. It's absolutely ridiculous! They don't know how to have a face to face conversation, let alone a heart to heart with another human being! It's scary that this world depends so much on technology.
Freedom of speech won't mean a thing if the "speech" part of it isn't being utilized anymore! LOL

Old 06-09-2011, 05:06 AM

I believe the English Parliament under the Great Charter has a few years on the United States and the Iceland has had a parliamentary government for over 1,000 years. Admittedly these countries do not have formal Constitution but they are representative republics.

I also believe it is the responsibility of the schools to produce graduates with the skill sets need to be successful in the world to be. A much as some, including me, may object to the integration of our economy with the economies of Europe and the Far East, this integration is the reality. The graduates must be prepared for this reality and not the world that was.

Last edited by GregW; 06-09-2011 at 05:44 AM..

Old 06-09-2011, 05:52 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,849,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I believe the English Parliament under the Great Charter has a few years on the United States and the Iceland has had a parliamentary government for over 1,000 years. Admittedly these countries do not have formal Constitution but they are representative republics.
In 1776, it was the king in England that was calling the shots, not the parliament.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:54 AM

25 posts, read 119,566 times
Wow, an IB program in Londonderry! This is great news for parents and kids in that school zone. IB programs have more rigorous curriculum, and graduates have better chances to get into better colleges.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:13 AM

I do not know if the Londonderry schools are actually using the IB program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire