Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 08:20 AM

142 posts, read 344,766 times

Advertisements

My daughter rented her home (NH) to a married women with children. The renters turned out to be dirty hoarders that don't work and have not paid rent since april. The whole time my daughter had to chase down the rent get it in bits. There is laundry,dirty dishes on the floor,trash diaper etc on the beds,floor and stacked high in the mud room. This is a month to month lease. On may 3rd my daughter had the woman sign a states stating that she would be out on June 14th. Renter agreed,signed statement. (not court statement) Few days ago the woman told my daughter she is not paying and not leaving until september,told my daughter to take her to court. In the meantime my daughter and her boyfriend broke up so now she has no place to go., Tonight she will sleeping in her car so she can get to work by 7 a.m. The renter has intentions of buying a home from a for sale by owner in september,so supposed rent must be for downpayment. And how does a family with no income related to work buy a home? 3mos back there was a chimney fire and house is filled with crap and trash the fireman were walking on dirty dishes. My daughter is a waitress bought the home when prices were high and can't afford to pay mortgage and a rent for herself. Oldest child also stole from the neighbors. Renter stated good luck kicking my out. I have children the courts will never kick me out. Please help! Heart broken mom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 08:50 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,852,355 times
Why aren't you asking a lawyer instead of asking a bunch of strangers from Maine about NH law? Tell you daughter to get on the phone to a lawyer. Even if it's Joe Borenstein. Call a lawyer and start proceedings on the tenant.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:26 AM

7,056 posts, read 9,013,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
Why aren't you asking a lawyer instead of asking a bunch of strangers from Maine about NH law? Tell you daughter to get on the phone to a lawyer. Even if it's Joe Borenstein. Call a lawyer and start proceedings on the tenant.
Good advice. Your daughter should consult a qualified attorney versed on NH landlord/tenant law. Unless there is such an individual participating on this board, any other advice from us would likely be little more than hearsay and/or guesswork, and of little value.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:34 AM

1,337 posts, read 1,514,398 times
So very sad that people have to rely on third parties (the law - in this case) nowadays to handle such simple things. There are lots of things that could be done here, one only has to stand up and do the right thing. And begging from the court is not one of them.

To each their own. Your daughter is going to get what she has coming to her (screwed - at least in the short term) for not doing so.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:34 AM

She did try but was told it is expensive to hire a lawyer and the gave her a website to download forms for court and a couple of phone #'s to call for help but the phones lines just keep ringing. She could not get through. I called a NH lawyer also and got the same thing. "it will be expensive and she can file herself" My daughter did go to library to try learn what her rights are and did go to the courthouse filed the 7 day pay up or get out. If no response she has to get writ? for another 7 days. I don't know what a lawyer can do any different? In the meantime the house is getting trashed and they broke my daughter mosiac table. I am thinking people of this caliber will destroy the house on purpose you really can't sue them because they have nothing. If they actually buy the house september i will be upset because this is also done with tax payer dollars. I don't know why a young couple can not get a job. This girl really knows how to work the system. Sounds like she has been through this before. This couple also goes to the town office for financial assistance and would never even geuss it by looking at them. I did not know if anyone on this forum was a lawyer,landlord and have experienced anything like this. I am so upset for my daughter am having a hard time focusing,just sick to my stomach. Looks like my daughter has no rights,,,,really was something missed? Afraid the courts system will drag and in the meantime the family lives for nothing.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:16 AM

6,613 posts, read 13,454,935 times
I've been through this. Karma was great this spring when my trashy, disgusting former tenant showed up on this forum looking for a place to live. I didn't say she was my tenant but enough people knew what happened to put it together. I posted pics of her filth. Not at all helpful to me but I did get a little satisfaction in knowing that nobody on here would fall for her story. That said...

If NH and Maine laws are the same, here's what she needs to do. Go to the clerk of courts to get the paperwork. Fill out the paperwork and take/mail it to the Sheriff's Department. For a required fee, a deputy will serve an eviction notice to the tenant. IN MAINE, a 30 day lease requires a 30 day notice to vacate. My tenant had seven days. When she didn't move out I had to get more paperwork from the court and have her served again. We went to court and she was evicted. She had seven days to get out because we no longer had a 30 day lease.

Rights? Yes and no. Tenants can dig in and refuse to leave and you have the right to take the legal steps to get them out of the property but it's not free and it's not easy. It's unfair. NEVER again will I rent to anyone. We have the house under contract now and will close later this summer.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:17 AM

30,133 posts, read 23,520,254 times
Man I must not understand the system at all. How do you BUY a house on tax payer dollars?

If they do buy the house, perhaps a visit to the welfare office is in order...surely they would like to know how someone who can't afford to eat can afford a new house.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:28 AM

My daughter has pictures also,really disgusting. When this is over I hope my daughter posts pictures and to let the general public know this couple does not pay their bills and does not care for anyone else but themselves. The renter said to my daughter to get an apartment herself because my daughter has better credit. My daughter stated no,I am can not afford rent plus the mortgage on the house. The moral of this story is don't judge a book buy its cover. People who appear to be kind and normal maybe a lil crazy and selfish,lazy. Do I dare say my first thought was to punch her in the face I know better than that but when does common sense come into play. hhmmmm! our time will come. When my daughter drives by the house she gets the finger. (kids)

Old 06-16-2011, 11:02 AM

6,613 posts, read 13,454,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMama View Post
Man I must not understand the system at all. How do you BUY a house on tax payer dollars?

If they do buy the house, perhaps a visit to the welfare office is in order...surely they would like to know how someone who can't afford to eat can afford a new house.
I don't think her daughter is selling the house. The tenants are drawing off the town's welfare roll. I don't know how that works in NH but in Maine every town is required by law to have a welfare account. My town keeps only $1,000 and it's seldom used.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:18 AM

30,133 posts, read 23,520,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
I don't think her daughter is selling the house. The tenants are drawing off the town's welfare roll. I don't know how that works in NH but in Maine every town is required by law to have a welfare account. My town keeps only $1,000 and it's seldom used.
No, she said that the people living at her daughter's house are looking to buy a house in September at tax payer's expense...that is what I was questioning.

She also said they get welfare...how can they afford a home if they can't afford to eat? I'd say it's time to blow the whistle on these people...should they buy the house in September.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire