Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 03:43 PM

10 posts, read 34,288 times

Advertisements

I moved to Merrimack recently and a friend of mine who's lived in town for quite some time told me he heard that there's a Walmart in the works for D.W. Highway near Silo's Steakhouse!?

A well connected businessman told him that the plan was very hush-hush, but that things are already underway. Apparently, the property which is next to the fire station near Silo's is going to be used to farm hay for the next couple years. After that, the Walmart will be built. 645 DW Highway is owned by the Flately Company. They are big real estate developers. I'm not sure if this is the property.

Has anyone heard any news of this? With all the talk about the rape of the lot where Walgreens is being built on DW and with plans for a Starbucks raising a fury because they want to raze a historic building, this would be the perfect time to address this Walmart rumor.

If Merrimack officials are aware of a Walmart coming - even if it is a remote possibility - they should step up to the plate and let the public know right now. Otherwise we should fire all planning/town officials who are aware of this but are keeping it hush-hush.

I moved to Merrimack from Nashua because it has more of a laid back feel and there's less traffic, etc. So now what? DW Highway is going to become a neverending stretch of 50 traffic lights every two feet like Amherst Street or DW Highway in S. Nashua because we have to have every retail store known to mankind in Merrimack?

There's no need for a Walmart in Merrimack. There's one in Amherst, Hudson. We got Target in Bedford, plenty in Nashua! Enough is Enough! Land...they're not making it anymore! Why does it seem that southern NH's definition of development is to put up big box retail stores?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 05:23 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
There's also a Wal-Mart in Bedford, just minutes from Merrimack. I agree, there's no need for one in Merrimack. I've heard the rumor also. Rt. 3 is just getting worse and worse. Problem is, there's really no good way to widen it, especially through the center of town.

What is the proposed site for Walgreen's?

Old 08-09-2007, 05:40 PM

10 posts, read 34,288 times
Default Walgreens

The Walgreen's in Merrimack is right on Route 3/DW Highway right of Exit 12. I actually like Walgreens, but the developers clear cut the tree buffer on the rear of the property, totally exposing all the homes behind it. The homeowners are livid, understandly so, because they now have a view of DW Highway rather than a private tree line. The neighborhood used to be nicely tucked away behind there, now they stand out clear as day! The site plan apparently showed the tree buffer intact. They also have the road tore up to connect to the sewer line. People I know in construction say that the road construction going on is also half-ass in terms of effeciency, safety, etc. Many of the stores around the construction are already suffering considerable business loses.

A Starbuck's is planned for Madden's restaurant. They plan to raze the building and build a "replica" of the Reed's Ferry Train Station. At least the developers for that project are trying to be sensitive to the character of that area, but the bottom line is they're still tearing down what some people in town view as a historically significant building. Starbucks has been put on hold for the time being, at least what I last read.

They also tore down the old Hammar Hardware building, which will be a RiteAid from what I hear. A lot of people in town loved that hardware store. Changes are a comin'!

My fear is that DW Highway will explode with big box stores and 20 new traffic lights and traffic nightmares (traffic isn't too bad right now). In my opinion, Walmart could be the beginning of the end.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:20 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,195,604 times
Thumbs up Hello Princess Keekee!

THANK YOU FOR THIS THREAD & BRINGING THIS UP !!!!

GREAT THREAD!!!

IF PEOPLE WANT TO STOP THIS, THEY CAN!

A good example of this, when WAL-MART wanted to open up in VERMONT, on the border with the town of Littleton in NH, the people in Vermont fought it all the way! ( I think the name of the town in Vermont was St Johnsbury??) And they stoped WAL-MART from destroying their community!
So, that is a good example, that if a town is against it, they can get together and do something about it!!!

WAL-MART in turn went to another town that supposedly wanted them .... ( I am not saying anything bad about the other town...)

SO, PEOPLE IN MERRIMACK, PLEASE STOP WAL-MART before they take over your STATE!!
TRY KEEPING NH THE WAY IT IS , KEEP THE BIG BOX STORES OUT!!!
KEEP NH QUAINT & BEAUTIFUL!!!

Anyway, I hope people will get ACTIVE & PARTICIPATE TO STOP IT!!!

Take care,
COUNTRYLV22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Keekee View Post
The Walgreen's in Merrimack is right on Route 3/DW Highway right of Exit 12. I actually like Walgreens, but the developers clear cut the tree buffer on the rear of the property, totally exposing all the homes behind it. The homeowners are livid, understandly so, because they now have a view of DW Highway rather than a private tree line. The neighborhood used to be nicely tucked away behind there, now they stand out clear as day! The site plan apparently showed the tree buffer intact. They also have the road tore up to connect to the sewer line. People I know in construction say that the road construction going on is also half-ass in terms of effeciency, safety, etc. Many of the stores around the construction are already suffering considerable business loses.

A Starbuck's is planned for Madden's restaurant. They plan to raze the building and build a "replica" of the Reed's Ferry Train Station. At least the developers for that project are trying to be sensitive to the character of that area, but the bottom line is they're still tearing down what some people in town view as a historically significant building. Starbucks has been put on hold for the time being, at least what I last read.

They also tore down the old Hammar Hardware building, which will be a RiteAid from what I hear. A lot of people in town loved that hardware store. Changes are a comin'!

My fear is that DW Highway will explode with big box stores and 20 new traffic lights and traffic nightmares (traffic isn't too bad right now). In my opinion, Walmart could be the beginning of the end.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:55 PM

4,567 posts, read 10,650,140 times
Walmart destroying towns?

LOL. I for one love going to Walmart. I can buy groceries, auto parts, pharmacy, electronics, my wife buys gardening stuff. All in one place.

Kinda funny how people driving gas guzzling suv's living in McMansions say "I hate Walmart" Its just so ironic.

Old 08-10-2007, 05:35 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
IMHO we need another Wal-mart like we need an extra hole in the head. I saw what the Wal-mart did to downtown Derry and it was not pretty. Wall-mart’s business practices are completely immoral and should be illegal. They open a store and undercut local prices by funneling profits from other stores in their chain to the new store and selling below cost in the new store. When they have driven all the competition in the area of the new store under they raise prices because they now have a local monopoly. Then they do the same thing to some other place.

Here in Londonderry we have a situation where there are four drugstores at one intersection. The crossroads at Rt 102 and Rt 128 was bad enough a few years ago but now there can be a nearly half mile traffic back up on Saturday morning. The place is becoming too damn crowded.

I hope Merrimack manages to bloc the retail development of RT 3. If they need development they should build a high tech factory and build something useful and not waste the land on Wal-mart junk.

Old 08-10-2007, 05:59 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,324,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
Walmart destroying towns?

LOL. I for one love going to Walmart. I can buy groceries, auto parts, pharmacy, electronics, my wife buys gardening stuff. All in one place.

Kinda funny how people driving gas guzzling suv's living in McMansions say "I hate Walmart" Its just so ironic.

Just how do you know that all the people on this board who are oppososed to Walmart drive gas guzzling suvs and own McMansions? I don't recall reading that here. Kind of an overgeneraization. In my opinion, at least in NH, the McMansion people love Walmart. They move to a town that used to have nothing but farms and open land and then are upset when they have to drive one or two towns over to shop.

In my opinion, Walmart does destroy towns. They run mom and pop's out of town so people can buy cheap crap made in China. Once a Walmart opens, usually all the other big boxes follow.

Plus aren't there enough Walmarts already? Why does each town have to have one. Are people so freakin lazy that they can't drive a town or two over to go to another Walmart?

There are more than enough Walmarts, Targets, etc here already.

Old 08-10-2007, 06:46 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,263,765 times
If an application has been filed with the town, then it is public information. Just go down to the Merrimack Town Hall and talk to the planning department.

Old 08-10-2007, 07:27 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
In my opinion, Walmart does destroy towns. They run mom and pop's out of town so people can buy cheap crap made in China. Once a Walmart opens, usually all the other big boxes follow.
Well, I do shop a lot at Wal-Mart. It's to save money. Period.

Why should I go to the small mom and pop stores and pay more for cheap crap made in China? Everything it seems nowdays is made in China anyway.
And, yes, it galls me to by ANYTHING made in China, no matter what the store.

I'm all for the small shops making a decent living, but not at my expense if I can get it cheaper. That would be like throwing money away.

We all have to look out for ourselves and our families first, because no one else will.

As for the Rt. 3 commercialization and overdevelopment, this was what the Town Master Plan of some 20 years ago (for which the town paid mega bucks to consultants to develop) was supposed to *prevent*. Already then they recognized they needed controls in place because there was too much traffic. And, that's not just due to the business development. A lot of people were avoiding the tolls and coming up rt 3 from Ex 7 in Nashua (including trucks). There was talk about how the state doesn't help with the road repairs resulting from the extra traffic burden. The town could alleviate some of that congestion if they could get that one toll station eliminated. But, of course, the state needs the income for road repairs.

However, the flip side is businesses will help keep the town property taxes lower.

Old 08-10-2007, 08:26 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,324,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Well, I do shop a lot at Wal-Mart. It's to save money. Period.

Why should I go to the small mom and pop stores and pay more for cheap crap made in China? Everything it seems nowdays is made in China anyway.
And, yes, it galls me to by ANYTHING made in China, no matter what the store.

I'm all for the small shops making a decent living, but not at my expense if I can get it cheaper. That would be like throwing money away.

We all have to look out for ourselves and our families first, because no one else will.

As for the Rt. 3 commercialization and overdevelopment, this was what the Town Master Plan of some 20 years ago (for which the town paid mega bucks to consultants to develop) was supposed to *prevent*. Already then they recognized they needed controls in place because there was too much traffic. And, that's not just due to the business development. A lot of people were avoiding the tolls and coming up rt 3 from Ex 7 in Nashua (including trucks). There was talk about how the state doesn't help with the road repairs resulting from the extra traffic burden. The town could alleviate some of that congestion if they could get that one toll station eliminated. But, of course, the state needs the income for road repairs.

However, the flip side is businesses will help keep the town property taxes lower.

This is another fallacy. That is what developers use as their convincing argument to get these stores in. These stores increase demand for police responding to shoplifting and auto accidents caused by more traffic. Plus the roads are in horrible shape from all the increased traffic-who pays to fix these roads? Not the developer, the taxpayer. I have asked to be shown actual proof by this before when they were trying to put a Lowe's in and all that I got was double speak. Also, if that is the case, with all the big box stores being built over NH, why are property taxes rising?

That is the same argument they use for 55+ communities. They won't be a tax burden. That is not true-just because they do not have children in the school does not mean that they will not require town services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire