Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 08:42 AM

80 posts, read 390,384 times

Advertisements

Trying to get some feedback from folks who have relocated to 55 plus in NH or no people who have. Right now we are in Colorado and renting. Moved from Boston area to give it a try. Need to be near communities where we can still find some work.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 01:14 PM

835 posts, read 2,878,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anncat View Post
Trying to get some feedback from folks who have relocated to 55 plus in NH or no people who have. Right now we are in Colorado and renting. Moved from Boston area to give it a try. Need to be near communities where we can still find some work.
Thanks.
The Nevins are absolutely gorgeous! Keep in mind there are restrictions to living in a 55 and over community. Some places do not even allow children under 18 to visit for any extended period of time. I myself would not want to purchase a 55 and over home because once we passed on our kids would be forced to sell rather than live in the home. That's just me though.

The Nevins

Not sure what kind of work you do but Londonderry is situated in a convenient location to Boston and the surrounding smaller cities in the area. The commute into Boston can be hectic.

Old 01-27-2008, 02:29 PM

1,999 posts, read 10,570,708 times
Anncat, do you feel there is work for seniors in the Boston area? What kind of work is there for us?

Old 01-27-2008, 05:39 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,964,727 times
[quote=dinalkulp;2640268]The Nevins are absolutely gorgeous! Keep in mind there are restrictions to living in a 55 and over community.

Dinalkulp, I would have to disagree with you regarding the Nevins, as this is a typical California Style Builder; forced air (meaning no radiant heat), Public Water and Sewage, Gas Heat, gas Fireplace, very match box style homes and so on.

The Nevins has nothing at all that resembles traditional New England living. I looked at it and was not impressed, as one can get twice as much value for the money.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:45 AM

835 posts, read 2,878,615 times
[quote=CometVoyager;2642392]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinalkulp View Post
The Nevins are absolutely gorgeous! Keep in mind there are restrictions to living in a 55 and over community.

Dinalkulp, I would have to disagree with you regarding the Nevins, as this is a typical California Style Builder; forced air (meaning no radiant heat), Public Water and Sewage, Gas Heat, gas Fireplace, very match box style homes and so on.

The Nevins has nothing at all that resembles traditional New England living. I looked at it and was not impressed, as one can get twice as much value for the money.
Ok, what part of it were you disagreeing with? I said they were gorgeous which I happen to think they are. I didn't mention of the things you mentioned.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:17 PM

80 posts, read 390,384 times
As for work for seniors in MA I feel it is a good place to get work. I worked for Massachusetts General Hospital which was one of the top place to work for over 50's. Of course now in Colorado we are doing the job search and will not be able to tell as of yet.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:34 PM

[quote=dinalkulp;2648357]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CometVoyager View Post

Ok, what part of it were you disagreeing with? I said they were gorgeous which I happen to think they are. I didn't mention of the things you mentioned.
Dinalkulp, I did not mean to question your taste. It is just that when you look more closely at the specifications of each home being offered, for example when you see gas Heat with Forced air, that is typical CA tract home building and you have to deduct at least 50K from the price just for that, as most good quality New England traditional homes have radiant heat with a full basement. For what the Nevins cost you can get twice the value if you look around. their prices are very inflated compared to the rest of the market.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:34 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,953,232 times
I think that many people who look at The Nevins are buying into the lifestyle. They really drive home the fact that "every resident is an important member of the community" and they have many community activities (games, movies, trips to Foxwoods, etc). The grapevine says the sales team is very hard-sell (in a soft manner) on folks who go in to get a quick home tour, and even when I've gone in with clients, they insist on doing the grand tour of the clubhouse, pool, community center, etc. before being able to look at the homes.

Comet, if someone is looking for New England charm, the same builder/developer has another 55+ development here in Londonderry, called Sugarplum Hill. These are mainly 2-story, Victorian-ish homes. And FYI, natural-gas forced hot air isn't something commonly found in NH outside of the cities...

Old 01-29-2008, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
I think that many people who look at The Nevins are buying into the lifestyle.
Comet, if someone is looking for New England charm, the same builder/developer has another 55+ development here in Londonderry, called Sugarplum Hill. These are mainly 2-story, Victorian-ish homes. And FYI, natural-gas forced hot air isn't something commonly found in NH outside of the cities...
Thanks Valerie, but even after briefly checking out Sugarplum, they too look so California Tract Home, as they all have forced hot air heat, no basement, very tract home like construction, poor molding etc. No Traditional value. Yes, the lifestyle is what may attract some, but these homes really are not worth what they are asking, as to me they are just detached Town Homes and nothing New England about them.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:54 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,953,232 times
Actually... I agree with you here. And for what it's worth, 95% of new construction is this same shoddy grade, what you refer to as "California Tract". I saw it all over the St. Louis area when I was there, and bought a model home that I can't imagine still standing in 25 years. (yes, with forced hot air as well. The copper piping used with forced hot water are more $$ than air ducts...) Guess that "California quality" is taking over the country.

New Hampshire seems to becoming the capital of the 55+ community. Some are detached condos, some are garden style (and some are mobile homes, but that's a whole other subject). Since they're condos, the association is responsible for all outside maintenance; that's what your condo fee is for. They're sure not for everyone, but if somebody wants to pay a price and have it all taken care of, that's the choice that lots of people make...

And some people (like my 72 yr old mom) chose to live in the home that's been in the family for 3 generations... That's got "New England tradition" all over it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire