Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2011, 01:39 PM

38 posts, read 70,563 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!
We have been in Dover 7 weeks and it is awesome!! Oops - wicked!

My 17-year-old daughter needs to make friends. Any suggestions? Group activities? Social scene? Theater stuff?
She is not an athlete - she is very arts and music oriented.

Thanks!
Kate
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 05:20 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,867,326 times
Get her outdoah's. Winta's comin'! there will be plenty of time for music and art on the 18% gray days. There is living breathing art in the woods. Ahya! Sumah is wicked gud.

The schools should have local events in summer, sure these will be sports like, but just getting out to watch is a start for finding future friends.

This is NH and friends just don't appear on the door step.

The other day I bumped into a whiney city woman looking for who knows what. Soon in the conversation she asked 'Where is the compassion?', as she complained about her tourist husband abandoning her for sports. I looked her in the eyes and said this is NH there is no such thing as compassion. 'Round heya' you gotta get out and make what happens happen, no one else will do it for ya.

There are conservatory meetings around the state, where wildlife is a often subjected topic. If she isn't out doorsie she isn't going to have friends you would approve of anyway.

Hangin on the street with others who set about smoking, begging older folks to buy beer and that like, I believe I can safely assume you want no part of............. right?

Old 07-18-2011, 08:45 PM

3,712 posts, read 10,984,216 times
oh please, Mac! not everyone is out-doorsie. I'm not and never was. don't particularly plan to become so in 18 months. I like my nature just fine: through the window. ;p

It can be hard for teens moving in, everyone at school already has their friends and unless someone wants to reach out, it's tough. If she likes music. perhaps she might be able to volunteer a couple of hours at something she enjoys, she can get to know people there. Summer is tough when everyone is mostly involved in summer things. It's boring as all get-out, but school's gonna start up in a month or so. hmm, you said she's 17 - did she already graduate? a theatre group or music group could be just the thing, sorry I don't know anything in the area.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:56 PM

Wanna, I suppose, I neva' did understand wimin folk much, or stayin' in a box all the year long. What I do know, is from Fall to late spring everything is 18% gray, and if you don't get in the sun in sumah' you ain't a' gonna' Ahya. Her daughter is gonna be fish belly blue, and look like she has a condition!

I still can't understand this wild woman whoe's been chasin me around nigh on 2 score and five years. She says she's married to me, but who in their alledged right mind and being female would do such a thing?

Anyway I was making my usual febble attempt to be polite. It didn't seem to work out. Ahya

I just hope she has enough sence to not get into that gang at walmart. The ones that look like they belong in the Adams Family with black hairs and blue faces doing their nails the some purple way.

They look like the walkin' dead if you ask me.Ayha

Now Iffin' she's not gonna go out how's anyone supposed to know she's even theya'? Ahya

Old 07-18-2011, 09:10 PM

3,712 posts, read 10,984,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Wanna, I suppose, I neva' did understand wimin folk much, or stayin' in a box all the year long. What I do know, is from Fall to late spring everything is 18% gray, and if you don't get in the sun in sumah' you ain't a' gonna' Ahya. Her daughter is gonna be fish belly blue, and look like she has a condition!
lol! and what's wrong with fishbelly white? I work hard to keep my nice pale ;p - no, I'm no goth, but I burn so bad I'd really rather not get skin cancer. I've just never been that big on outdoors. I like my climate control!

Quote:
I still can't understand this wild woman whoe's been chasin me around nigh on 2 score and five years. She says she's married to me, but who in their alledged right mind and being female would do such a thing?
well, ya got me there! j/k lol! but good on you for finding one - just make sure you treat her right!

Quote:
Anyway I was making my usual febble attempt to be polite. It didn't seem to work out. Ahya

I just hope she has enough sence to not get into that gang at walmart. The ones that look like they belong in the Adams Family with black hairs and blue faces doing their nails the some purple way.

They look like the walkin' dead if you ask me.Ayha

Now Iffin' she's not gonna go out how's anyone supposed to know she's even theya'? Ahya
somehow, we pale-faces manage to get seen! I'm not big into the dark look either, personally. but.. somehow, even with not going outside or participating in sports, none of my friends nor I got into the goth crowd (ok, we were before then, but still never behaved like that), none of us smoked, or drank - well, some did at parties, or hung out on street corners (of course not! that would be outdoors!!!). we were music students and bookish sorts. You know: the quiet ones ya gotta look out for

Old 07-18-2011, 09:26 PM

1,281 posts, read 3,693,214 times
I know there is a theatre in downtown Dover in the block that houses the mill - Janetos is almost directly across from the theatre. Seacoast Repritory I believe? Also Prescott Parks holds theatre every summer - check it out. South Berwick or Berwick has the Hacmatack Playhouse - and Epping also has the Leddy Center. Might be a bit of a drive, but as a teen that might be what she needs to get involved - drive a bit.

Is she still in high school? The library is a good place, the indoor and outdoor pools might be a nice rec site to meet some kids. The Works in Somersworth might be a nice gym to belong to to meet people (not necessarily athletic).

Get the Foster's Democrat paper on Thursdays - the Showcase (insert) gives tons of events and stuff going on in and around Dover. Also if she gets a job maybe at a grocery store (Hannafords, Shaws, Market Basket) she will meet TONS of kids!

Good luck - from a former Dover teen who wants to move back home LOL

Old 07-18-2011, 09:56 PM

Wanna this is that strange woman been followin me around so long. Now I don't know much, but she looks pretty happy if you ask me Bookish you say? That doesn't get you all cold and clammy. Well no one moves to New Hampsta for the sun anyway.

That was taken in the 18% gray last Spring. We were finishing this

Old 07-18-2011, 10:08 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,654,112 times
Very pretty garden.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:11 PM

it's moss in the lenai ... don't want to get to OT. The use of 'wicked' in the first post got to me Ahya

Old 07-19-2011, 05:20 AM

38 posts, read 70,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NH2NCMom View Post
I know there is a theatre in downtown Dover in the block that houses the mill - Janetos is almost directly across from the theatre. Seacoast Repritory I believe? Also Prescott Parks holds theatre every summer - check it out. South Berwick or Berwick has the Hacmatack Playhouse - and Epping also has the Leddy Center. Might be a bit of a drive, but as a teen that might be what she needs to get involved - drive a bit.

Is she still in high school? The library is a good place, the indoor and outdoor pools might be a nice rec site to meet some kids. The Works in Somersworth might be a nice gym to belong to to meet people (not necessarily athletic).

Get the Foster's Democrat paper on Thursdays - the Showcase (insert) gives tons of events and stuff going on in and around Dover. Also if she gets a job maybe at a grocery store (Hannafords, Shaws, Market Basket) she will meet TONS of kids!

Good luck - from a former Dover teen who wants to move back home LOL
Thank you - that is the best advice ever!! She will be a senior - hard move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire