Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 10:55 AM

259 posts, read 601,738 times

Advertisements

A lot of people don't think Manchester is that great, but we moved here two years ago (from Colorado) and like it. A couple of good things about Manchester: Your property taxes cover trash and recycling pickup. No need to drive anything to the dump. :-) Also, the streets are VERY well maintained here in the winter. I lived in Colorado most of my life, but even then I wasn't quite prepared for the New England winter. I thought we would need snow tires, 4WD, etc., but we haven't needed any of those things. We do pay to have our driveway plowed (it's a long one), but the streets are always clear. And because we live on a fairly busy street, the city even cleans the sidewalks. So the roughest thing about winter is looking at all the snow that's piled up (last year, anyway). You can get around quite easily unless you live out in the middle on nowhere.

One good thing about the winters here (at least compared to Colorado) is that they're fairly short. In Colorado, even though our snow melted most of the time before we got a new storm, winter started in October and we could still be getting snow into May. Here, it seems to start somewhere around Christmas and finishes sometime in April (the natives can correct me if I'm wrong). Four months isn't bad at all. Spring and autumn are to die for. And even the summers, which for me can be hot and humid at times, are nothing like Florida in the summer. I say give it a chance. But try to live somewhere with well-maintained roads in the winter. That makes all the difference!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 12:16 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,963,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JukieF View Post
A lot of people don't think Manchester is that great, but we moved here two years ago (from Colorado) and like it. A couple of good things about Manchester: Your property taxes cover trash and recycling pickup. No need to drive anything to the dump. :-) Also, the streets are VERY well maintained here in the winter. I lived in Colorado most of my life, but even then I wasn't quite prepared for the New England winter. I thought we would need snow tires, 4WD, etc., but we haven't needed any of those things. We do pay to have our driveway plowed (it's a long one), but the streets are always clear. And because we live on a fairly busy street, the city even cleans the sidewalks. So the roughest thing about winter is looking at all the snow that's piled up (last year, anyway). You can get around quite easily unless you live out in the middle on nowhere.

One good thing about the winters here (at least compared to Colorado) is that they're fairly short. In Colorado, even though our snow melted most of the time before we got a new storm, winter started in October and we could still be getting snow into May. Here, it seems to start somewhere around Christmas and finishes sometime in April (the natives can correct me if I'm wrong). Four months isn't bad at all. Spring and autumn are to die for. And even the summers, which for me can be hot and humid at times, are nothing like Florida in the summer. I say give it a chance. But try to live somewhere with well-maintained roads in the winter. That makes all the difference!
Our winter it started snowing right after Halloween and snowed the night we left right before june (Keene).. They said it was a bad winter that year.. I have to agree, doesn't help we were in the snowbelt ..

Old 09-05-2011, 09:07 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,801,312 times
Let me chime in here as yet another Floridian who is thinking of moving to NH! (what's up with this trend?)

My husband grew up in NJ and wants to get out of FL. (we're close to Orlando now) We made it as far as north GA for 4 years, but then I made us move back to FL. (huge mistake and I'm just sick over it now) I'm also on board with getting out of FL, but I'm not sure I can take the NH winter. (plus the jobs situation is scary now, wherever you go)

I hear that there is stiff competition for low paying jobs, even in NH ($8.00 to $10.00) and that many people work two part-time jobs or are retired. The other thing to think about is health insurance costs a fortune up there. (family policy can be $20-25k a year!) I'm also seeing reports that the budget for road plowing will be reduced this year due to state budget cuts.

I found the winter in North Georgia to be a shock (I grew up in FL since 1974), but in hindsight that was nothing! FL is an artificial land where nothing ever changes. That is NOT normal in the rest of the states. You have to get used to it, and the fact that it can get dark at 4:30PM.

As for Keene, I don't recommend it. We took a trip to NH and drove all over the place. Keene is "way out there" and just felt too isolated for us (but it did have a college vibe and a nice downtown when we were there 3 years ago). My husband loves the area around Lake "Winnie" but I'm worried it's more of a place for old folks.

Well, good luck in your choice. Do try to take a trip up in Jan or Feb to get a real taste of winter!

Old 09-06-2011, 05:21 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
If you will be looking for jobs or customers I suggest looking around North Dakota. It is having a boom in all manner of industry. I suggest a one or two week vacation in Fargo, ND next February.

Oh, try and find out why your hubby wants to move so quickly.

Old 09-06-2011, 06:36 AM

491 posts, read 1,372,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Yes I forgot about that too, but like I was getting at its a different world lol. You have to pay extra for things like trash pick up if the town has it , if not u drive ur trash to the dump where that may be outside of town and then pay by weight of the trash. Maybe its a good time to look into things like composting Other things that are different (not bashing here just saying what I noticed coming from a place with much more conviences) cell phone service can be spotty, esp in the mountains.. Not every town has high speed internet or cable. Okay weird as it sounds , the food options at the market we have down here aren't as avail up there. We're used to oranges and tropical fruits and such year round. During the winter up there they might be harder to find, I ended up having to have my MIL mail me florida oranges.
After reading all this, I'm scared to move to NH (and I already live in Nashua!)
Goes to show how different things are once you get out of the populated areas. I could walk to box stores, supermarkets, restaurants, hotels, colleges, a dozen cell phone stores, fedex, car dealers, a bus terminal, and municipal airport. I have family in Kississimee and the poor souls have to drive to all these things. Our trash, recyclables, and yard waste are picked up every week for "free". The school bus stops 40-feet from my front door. I've driven a 2-wheel-drive car or truck for 15 winters. I only wear my winter jacket when skiing, snow blowing, or playing in the snow with the kids. Otherwise I wear a light fleece vest because the heat is cranking everywhere. When I visit Florida, I pack warm because everything indoors is refrigerated and I'm always freezing.

Last edited by avlis13013; 09-06-2011 at 06:47 AM..

Old 09-06-2011, 08:16 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,947,733 times
Seriously?? I've lived in New England all my life (except for a 5 year stint in the midwest) and I've never seen a winter where tropical fruits are not available. As kids, we got oranges in our Christmas stockings (to take up space, I think) and we routinely eat oranges, Clementines, kiwi, mangos, banana, etc. ALL winter long. Perhaps these might not be available in very remote areas with only a small 'country store' to shop in, but this is just not the case in most of NH.

I have to agree that Lincoln would NOT be the place for you. You would feel isolated beyond belief. Don't get me wrong--it's a BEAUTIFUL town. Once you are living here in NH, visit twice a month for 12 months so that you can get the feeling of what the town is in each of those months. Visit the library, town hall, stores. Talk to the locals. THEN consider moving there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Okay weird as it sounds , the food options at the market we have down here aren't as avail up there. We're used to oranges and tropical fruits and such year round. During the winter up there they might be harder to find, I ended up having to have my MIL mail me florida oranges.

Old 09-06-2011, 06:12 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,383,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
If you will be looking for jobs or customers I suggest looking around North Dakota. It is having a boom in all manner of industry. I suggest a one or two week vacation in Fargo, ND next February.

Oh, try and find out why your hubby wants to move so quickly.
I'm in North Dakota right now (Minot) and they can't get enough people to come and work here. Even McDonalds is paying $9-10 per hour to start, and they're always hiring. There are help wanted signs everywhere. With the recent floods out here though, good luck finding a place to live.

Oh yes - one more thing. It's North Dakota. Nowhere as nice as NH. Couldn't pay me enough to settle down here....

Old 09-06-2011, 08:48 PM
Vex

125 posts, read 258,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveusaf View Post
...Even McDonalds is paying $9-10 per hour to start, and they're always hiring. There are help wanted signs everywhere.
Just goes to show you that capitalism and robust economic growth is the best way to "further" all strata of society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire