Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 11:32 AM

3,847 posts, read 7,926,843 times

Advertisements

Sorry lots of questions for u guys. I'm on a very specific diet absolutely no gluten and down here we have Whole Foods which caters to that but I know NH doesn't have any .Do you know any stores that have a wide selection of gluten free food?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 01:59 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,373,306 times
If you're considering the Dover area, then there's a couple of health food stores in Portsmouth that will carry gluten-free stuff. One of them is called the Rising Tide. My dad spends a boatload of $$$ there on all kinds of stuff. Not my cup of tea, but I know people with Celiac disease and of course gluten is a showstopper for them. Shaws supermarkets has a section called "wild harvest" and Hannafords has a similar section that would have gluten free foods. Probably not as good as Whole Foods, but better than nothing. Good luck

Old 10-16-2011, 02:16 PM

26,397 posts, read 46,304,639 times
I am also Gluten Intolerant and I believe regular grocery stores like Hannaford and Shaw's have a growing selection of gluten free items. I know Hannaford in Concord has an excellent selection. Food Co-ops also are good places to look at as well.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:30 AM

223 posts, read 538,701 times
yes, hannaford has a growing selection as stated above.

Being sort of a health nut I might suggest you take the gluten free requirement as a hint and give up wheat products completely. Maybe just try it for a week or 10 days and see if any noticeable improvement in overall wellness. Report back and let us know! - paul

Old 10-17-2011, 11:58 AM

26,397 posts, read 46,304,639 times
^
I completely avoid any food products with wheat, gluten, gliadin, etc. I also completely avoid any food products with casein- dairy, whey, lactose, lactate, etc. I DEFINITELY NOTICE if I slip up and eat something that I shouldn't. My overall health as definitely improved since I completely switched my diet (by necessity) and my mental clarity has also greatly improved. Research "brain fog" and celiac disease and gluten intolerance. Lots of good info out there. I am trying to convince my dad to undertake the GFCF diet as autoimmune issues run throughout the family.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:23 PM

40 posts, read 78,425 times
I am not sure what area you are looking in but the Local Grocer in North Conway has an awesome selection of gluten free, vegan and pretty much anything you could need or want. They also serve breakfast and lunch and make a mean tempeh wrap

Old 11-03-2011, 10:47 AM

3,675 posts, read 7,374,794 times
This store is in Danvers, MA, but they do mail order:

My Low Carb Life

Old 11-15-2011, 03:05 PM

497 posts, read 950,482 times
Hannaford carries a boatload of gluten free products.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:25 AM

113 posts, read 448,976 times
yep, i was just at the hannaford in manchester and i was very pleased by all the gluten free products. it's a really nice store.

if you end up living in southern new hampshire, then taking the trip to the whole foods in andover, ma, wouldn't be a tremendous haul. it's only a half hour from manchester, but you'd have to put up with the mass traffic and sales tax. andover is a cool place so you could definitely make an enjoyable day trip out of it.

the durham marketplace aka the dump at UNH might have some items - i wouldn't go out of my way to visit, though. i just seem to recall that they had some interesting selections.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:13 PM

181 posts, read 304,608 times
If you move to Nashua (the city close to NH/Mass border), there is a Trader Joe's in Tyngsboro which is the town on the Mass border crossing over into Nashua. They have an excellent selection of allergy free products (gluten, lactose, etc).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire