Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2011, 11:42 AM

202 posts, read 504,952 times

Advertisements

A sad and tragic loss for his family and friends.

31-year-old Hunter Fatally Shot in Hunting-related Incident in Lisbon, N.H.

Quote:
A 31-year-old man who was hunting with his father and brother on the opening day of New Hampshire's firearms deer hunting season was fatally shot today at approximately 8 a.m. by another hunter in the vicinity. The man was pronounced dead at the scene. The incident occurred off of Mt. Eustis Road in Lisbon, N.H. The alleged shooter was unrelated to the victim's hunting party and is being interviewed by authorities at this time.

All hunters are encouraged to review the ten commandments of hunter safety:

1. Treat every firearm with the same respect due a loaded firearm.
2. Control the direction of your firearm's muzzle.
3. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.
4. Be sure the barrel and action are clear of obstructions.
5. Unload firearms when not in use.
6. Never point a firearm at anything you do not intend to shoot.
7. Never climb a fence or tree, or jump a ditch or log, with a loaded firearm.
8. Never shoot a bullet at a flat, hard surface or water.
9. Store firearms and ammunition separately.
10. Avoid alcoholic beverages or other mood-altering drugs before or while shooting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 12:38 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Based on the Thread Title I though the deer had learned how to drive. Also Commandment #11 - Never, ever look like a DEER. There is a reason to wear orange or red clothing.

My condolences to both families.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:21 PM

I agree, Greg. Blaze orange is a really good idea for everybody during hunting season. I do not know if the victim was wearing any or not, but it is definitely a good idea.

Old 11-09-2011, 03:54 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,065,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
There is a reason to wear orange or red clothing.
I second that, even if you are just hiking- throw on an orange hat/vest. Likewise orange is a better choice than red...more clear.
Also if you are a hunter...you don't have to wear straight orange- they have great orange camo.

My thoughts go out to the family as well

Old 11-09-2011, 04:22 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Question required or not?

Is blaze orange not required in NH during firearms season? It is in many states. Heck, my state won't even allow the "camo" blaze orange, has to be solid blaze hat and vest at a minimum. Failure to wear blaze orange can be a $100. fine if reported or caught by a game warden.

Old 11-09-2011, 04:36 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,137,371 times
no - red or orange is not required.

NH does require Hunter Safety courses - apparently this guy was a sound shooter. Good hunters know to see and sight the animal, and don't just aim at moving underbrush.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:52 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,447,135 times
My condolences to the families.

One additional rule that all should follow (stated from NH law):

"Can I hunt on land that's not posted under the legal manner of posting?"

No.

Even if a landowner doesn't meet the letter of the law in RSA 635:4 (see legal manner of posting), a hunter or hiker cannot use land where the landowner has made a reasonable effort to post it against trespassing.
Let's say a landowner long ago put two or three aging "No Trespassing" signs where his land abuts a town road. But he didn't put up signs all the way around his property, as the law requires. Now let's say some hunters see the signs, but decide to reach the man's land from another direction. Those hunters could be charged with criminal trespass.
Here's what the law says (RSA 635:2): "Criminal trespass is a misdemeanor if … the person knowingly enters or remains … in any secured premises. … Secured premises means any place which is posted in a manner prescribed by law or in a manner reasonably likely to come to the attention of intruders, or which is fenced or otherwise enclosed in a manner designed to exclude intruders."

Old 11-11-2011, 08:08 AM

Three videos that every hunter should watch, about the death of Jimmy Griffin. These are from the Maine Department of Inland Fisheries.

Irrevocable Decision Part 1

Irrevocable Decision - Part 1 - YouTube

Irrevocable Decision Part 2

Irrevocable Decision - Part 2 - YouTube

Irrevocable Decision Part 3

Irrevocable Decision - Part 3 - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire