Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 07:06 PM

4 posts, read 7,701 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

Long time reader, first time poster! Let me start off by saying that I love New Hampshire! There are a lot of things I like, but I am starting to get bored. It just seems like there are not a ton of things to do. I recently graduated college and have moved back home. I am very close with my family, so I have no problem living at home, but I am beginning to look for my own place.

As much as I'd like to stay in NH, I am getting really bored. I am from Nashua and just don't enjoy the social scene here. I went to school outside Boston and never really enjoyed the city either - just something about Boston that I don't particularly enjoy. I have visited friends in other cities (Charlotte and Phoenix to name a couple) and have had a blast! I know this is partly due to the fact that I had never visited those areas and the grass always seems greener on the other side.

I am torn on where to go next! There are so many things I love about NH, but part of me wants to go elsewhere. Someone convince me to stay!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2011, 07:25 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,963,110 times
Have you tried more coastal like Portsmouth? There might be a different scene than Nashua

Old 11-24-2011, 08:25 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
Maybe you need to try living in another region of the USA for awhile. Your young and you probably feel the need to experience something new and different. Many people do and its quite common. Especially after finishing school like you recently have. You may find you want to live elsewhere permanetly, or find that NH is really home and always will be.

Believe me when I say dispite the not so great climate at times and the high COL. NH and New England in general is one of the better areas to live in America.

Old 11-24-2011, 08:30 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,247,070 times
If you have lived in N.H. your whole life and can say you still love it, I personally would make N.H. my home and visit a lot of other places. Most places are exciting when they are new and your on a vacation type trip. We tried that, looking for the greener grass type thing years ago and are now back in N.H. I really can't think of anywhere i would rather live.

Old 11-24-2011, 09:08 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,991,123 times
Move to Bismark, North Dakota. Get a job. That pays real money.

New Hampshire is only good if you have a very good salary OR you are retired.

Old 11-24-2011, 09:16 PM

1,568 posts, read 3,227,425 times
You are young..eager...and ready. Travel the world, like I did...and then you'll appreciate your homeland even more and most likely retire in New England after realizing there is no place better.

Army. @ Army.com | Learn More About and Enlist in the US Army. : ). Good luck.

Old 11-24-2011, 09:59 PM

26,408 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Most younger people leave the state due to relatively low salaries and high cost of living (housing). The big issue that NH must address is the outflow of college educated younger people.

Old 11-25-2011, 06:10 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,375,581 times
I wanted the bright lights and the big city when I was young. I couldn't WAIT to leave the area. I spent a few years in Boston, then the Bay Area of California, then Europe. If you can find work and are oen t new things, give it a try. Later on you may want to return.

Old 11-25-2011, 06:48 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,036,022 times
well... you're kinda right! there's not a lot to do. Other than just the day-to-day business of working and keeping up a house (which if you're living with your parents, you can avoid right now) there's not a great deal to do.

which is why when I graduated high school, I took the opportunity to choose a college outside of NE.. figuring that as I'd never really been outside NE (visiting cousins in NJ didn't really count) this was my only chance. And I did. and for 34 years I've been trying to get back to NH!! A lot of times keeping busy has more to do with finding a good group of friends with activities that keep you busy. there can be as much or as little of that in any state - including NH. but you definitely need to move around a bit and experience life elsewhere, whether it's through vacations you look forward to, or moves to other states. You're young, go for it! believe me, you'll want to come back at some point. NH is in our blood.

(13 months - or maybe 10, or possibly 8 - and counting)

Old 11-25-2011, 06:59 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,448,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Move to Bismark, North Dakota. Get a job. That pays real money.

New Hampshire is only good if you have a very good salary OR you are retired.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmm....

According to the government census bureau, NH has the highest household median income in the US.:

http://www.census.gov/hhes/www/incom.../H08B_2010.xls

And it has only been good for those retired (who can stand the winters), that have/will pass away after 2003... since NH had an 18% inheritance tax up to that year.

Live in Southern (or even middle) NH, get a job in high-tech in the greater Boston area, make a zillion dollars, and you are all set. Been there, done that. (the high-tech field in this area is only 2nd to Silicon Valley in CA).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire