Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2011, 12:44 PM

113 posts, read 450,130 times

Advertisements

kind of inspired by the "getting bored" thread...

i've lived here most of my life and yet, shockingly, never got into outdoor activities much. after spending time away, i think i've been crazy for not taking advantage of the scenery here. i was always more of an indoor type, but i feel like communing with nature now. i would really love to get into canoeing, skiing, outdoor running, hiking, etc. to give them a try and hopefully pick up a new hobby. i'll pass on hunting and fishing.

so, my questions...

any recommendations for running trails? i know about livingston park but that's basically it.
what about hiking trails for a beginner hiker? i went hiking as a teenager in some beautiful places - it's been so long that i can't remember where they were. there are so many mountains and forests to explore, i don't know where to start.
where would you tell someone to go if they wanted to go canoeing for the first time? or do any kind of boating/rowing/whatever? what about skiing? (have gone skiing in the white mountains before but it's been a VERY long time!)

i'm in the manchester area btw, and i have a family member who lives next to pawtuckaway park who'd tag along. sadly, i've only gone to the beach there - never did anything else. shame on me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 08:41 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
Try the hiking trails around Lake Massabesic the large reservoir just east of Manchester. I also suggest you buy a copy of the “White Mountain Guide” as well as the State Parks web site. Eastern Mountain Sports at the Mall has several books and maps of the local area.

Remember that hiking in some places in the state can be very dangerous as the weather can go from pleasant to deadly in less time that it takes to get off the mountain. So be prepared, as in learn to use a compass and map, and be careful. Even if you keep to the safe trails I would carry a “rescue locator” Aka “screamer” so they can find you if you become injured or stranded.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:18 PM

1,370 posts, read 2,182,842 times
I followed this blog for a long time, but they went quiet a year and a half ago with no explanation, which is a shame as it is a great source for places to explore in NH. There is a lot of great information here on places to bike, paddle and snowshoe - the biking and snowshoeing info will give you lots of places that are also for hiking. There are lots of pics included, advice on gear, and several links to similar websites on the right side of the page.

New Hampshire...Love it or Leaf it

Old 11-29-2011, 12:35 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,383,738 times
The Appalachian Mountain Club (AMC) offers hikes for all levels. I think they do canoeing too. Been a while since I was a member. Plus you get to meet new people.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:57 PM

113 posts, read 450,130 times
these are all wonderful suggestions, thank you!

Old 12-01-2011, 08:11 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,950,928 times
I'm glad you mentioned that your family member lives near Pawtuckaway State Park. That place is huge-5,000 acres, and so much more than the tiny little beach that you went to. It's a hugely popular place in the summer months, and parking at the state park beach area can get full on weekends. But besides the beach, there are great trails for hiking and biking, and some small(ish) mountains for climbing. There is a very cool boulder field--HUGE boulders that are suitable for climbing. There used to be a firetower on one of the mountains (not sure if it's still there or if you can climb it to see the views). There is a boat (canoe & kayak) rental area at Pawtuckaway, and the lake is full of little islands just waiting to be explored. I've spend HOURS kayaking all over the lake, and each trip is unique.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hershey87 View Post

i'm in the manchester area btw, and i have a family member who lives next to pawtuckaway park who'd tag along. sadly, i've only gone to the beach there - never did anything else. shame on me.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:21 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,523,239 times
A resource for those in the northern end of the state:

White Mountain Milers «

Trail Runs
Mountain Runs
Snowshoe Runs

Their site used to be better, but like so many other sites they completely ruined it by making it "better." They have some pages that list the various particulars of the trail and a comparison between them, but now its harder to find... I guess if you poke around the site or archives of the old pages you can find it.

And if you want to get in on some racing action:

Races

The Cranmore Hill Climb and Loon Mountain run are two of the more well known and challenging mountain races on the national mountain running circuit. Quite a few snowshoe races also, for those who prefer exercising in powder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire