Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2011, 05:01 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,189,670 times

Advertisements

Would just like to ask how the public schools are in NH compared to that of MA?

It has often been reported that MA has among the best public schools in the US. And in those rankings, NH have always been ranked highly as a state. However, as I read more in this forum, some people seem to have issues with the quality of education in the public schools. And as I looked through the NECAP scores, what surprised me is that even the best schools have NECAP math scores of less than 60%! I know it's not the same test, but MCAS math scores have often been 90%-100% for the top MA schools. Are NH schools comparable to those of MA schools and NECAP is just a more difficult test?

I visited Boston earlier this year and drove through the North Shore and Southern NH. I love the scenic beauty of the area, and also the "Live Free or Die" attitude of NH. I was hoping to move and raise my family there someday, but really taken aback by what I have read here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 06:17 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,876,055 times
In New Hampshire you are much better off sending children to private schools such as St. Pauls, Exeter Academy, Holderness, New Hampton School, or any Catholic private school. Other then big cities in New Hamphsire and there are only a few most of NH public schools are SAU's (School Administrative Unit). Quality varies from one to another. Most funding comes from property taxes with little funding from state. New Hampshire test scores are skewed higher as there are so many private schools taking same tests. Private schools always score higher.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:56 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,826,958 times
I grew up in Boston (went to Catholic private schools) and lived in MA when my kids were little. Moved to NH 16 years ago. Two daughters in college now and another in public high school in NH now. Many of my relatives and friends in MA send their kids to private schools, usually from 7th or 9th grade onward. Some are well off financially, but others have to work hard to come up with the money for private schools; they live in towns in MA with poor schools.
A lot depends on the town here in NH as it does in MA, but overall I'd rate the NH public schools above MA's public schools. Most of the good public schools in MA are in high end towns with very high priced real estate. NH is more reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire