Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 04:46 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,246,580 times

Advertisements

Pretty nice. Huh

Last edited by Ken E; 12-13-2011 at 04:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 06:10 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,447,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
My "dump run" is one of the highlights of my weekend. It's a pretty easy way to catch up on what's happening around town talking to some of the local folk. After the dump, a trip to the General Store for a coffee and a newspaper and i'm all set. Life is good.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

My wife banned me from going on the Saturday morning dump runs, as sometimes I would come back with more stuff than I took . The town has an excellent recycling program, and people would leave their 'good' trash set aside. I got a pair of Bose speakers that worked fine, etc.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:32 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,946,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
My "dump run" is one of the highlights of my weekend. It's a pretty easy way to catch up on what's happening around town talking to some of the local folk. After the dump, a trip to the General Store for a coffee and a newspaper and i'm all set. Life is good.
My brother in Rochester picked up a pair of marble-top tables a few weeks ago. They are beautiful, and just needed a bit of refinish work (worn finish, no damage to the wood) It's amazing what people get rid of...

Old 12-14-2011, 06:49 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,246,580 times
I grew up in Rochester. It got so, that my dad didnt want to take me to the dump with him. I always had to bring something home. But your right, it really is amazing what some people thgrow away.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:23 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,018,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
The lack of traffic most of the year north of Concord will add years onto your life
Makes up for the bumper to bumper summer traffic!

Old 12-15-2011, 10:12 AM

611 posts, read 1,204,920 times
Funny about the dump runs. We are currently in Washington where they don't let you take anything from the dump. I watched a beautiful dining room set be tossed away. What a waste.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:50 PM

497 posts, read 953,088 times
Madison is the same way, due to a person that sued Conway after she took discarded goods and was injured.

Shame on her I say.

The town considers ANY property left @ the transfer station to be town property, and has said it will enforce it with a theft complaint. All just trying to protect itself from liability from these frivolous lawsuits.

Have to agree somewhat, as one person ruins it for others.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:23 AM

5 posts, read 10,963 times
Thanks for the extra information about the trash pickup or lack thereof situation. Our cousin who I might have mentioned in AZ has the same issue. But he's happy to do a dump run once per month with his pickup truck. He hates having anything to do with the city/county people, so it's cheaper and makes him feel less tied into the system. He's very much an anti-spend-money-on-anything sort of guy, but then again, he is from the more thrifty regions of northern England!

BackToBasics

Old 12-16-2011, 05:57 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNHguy View Post
Madison is the same way, due to a person that sued Conway after she took discarded goods and was injured.

Shame on her I say.

The town considers ANY property left @ the transfer station to be town property, and has said it will enforce it with a theft complaint. All just trying to protect itself from liability from these frivolous lawsuits.

Have to agree somewhat, as one person ruins it for others.
The swap shed in Nashua was closed after fighting for goods. Was a cop there for a few weeks then they just closed it.

Old 12-18-2011, 05:55 AM

395 posts, read 458,511 times
Default Be realistic about the move

You sound like a nice person but don't forget that you will be moving to a real town and not a Norman Rockwell painting. While I agree that moving from the city to a small, rural town is the way to go, don't think your life is going to be prefect and carefree. Small towns have their problems and they are not completely immune from the ills of the world at large. Just ask anyone in NH what happened in Mt. Vernon a few short years ago.

NH is a great place to live but the things that make it great are slowly being eroded by degenerate liberals moving in from out of state and bringing with them their unique brand of crazy.

Other posters on here could make recommendations on where to live but that would be pretty pointless and no one knows you better than you. If you're serious about moving here to spend the next few decades of your life, you really need to get out here yourself, spend some time in a bunch of different areas and see what feels like home.

Oh and two pieces of advice that I don't think anyone has mentioned yet.

1. Wherever you end up finding yourself in NH, BUY A GENERATOR FOR YOUR HOME. After one or two winters here you will not only know why I'm suggesting this but also grow to passionately despise the incompetent utility company that services your area (that goes double for PSNH.)

2. If you don't already own a 4 wheel or all wheel drive vehicle, GET ONE! Oh and when you get one, don't think you're invincible in it while driving in the snow. You should still exercise caution. Let me put it this way. If you don't believe me on this one and you end up on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck, you get a mulligan. If it happens again you will have officially earned the title of "dumbass." You'd be surprised just how many natives who've grown up here in the snow have earned that title.

Best of luck with you move and I hope you find whatever it is you're looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire