Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 05:09 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times

Advertisements

Snowshoes?

I think one would need actual snow first. With the exception of the October storm, most areas east of the Rockies have received next to nothing so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 07:18 PM

611 posts, read 1,204,463 times
No, you shouldn't need bindings. Your boot just straps into the snowshoe. Make sure you have a good waterproof boot and gaiters. You can buy MSR's online from REI and they'll ship to your house. I don't think that Cabela's sells them and I know that you can't get them at Walmart. I got mine at a local outfitter for $99 on sale. I think they usually run $125 at REI.

Old 12-16-2011, 06:54 AM

1,771 posts, read 5,064,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNHguy View Post
Are snowshoes like skis, in the fact you must purchase bindings also, or are they part of the 'system'
As mentioned above, they include the bindings and attach to normal boots. Obviously the boots should fit well, be reasonably sturdy, and appropriate for winter (though boots like hiking boots are preferable to clunky big snow boots, but even snow boots will work for casual show-shoeing as long as they fit). If you need new winter boots anyway...by all means get a boot thats "ideal" for snow shoeing (Merrell Thermo 6 has served me well so far, it has nice ridges to help the snow shoe bindings lock on more securely and has a hard lower that doesn't chafe from the bindings); but it's unnecessary to spend extra money for boots if you already have them...

Old 12-16-2011, 02:22 PM

497 posts, read 952,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Snowshoes?

I think one would need actual snow first. With the exception of the October storm, most areas east of the Rockies have received next to nothing so far.

Really???

I would not have known

Let me go to the window and check....

Old 12-16-2011, 08:11 PM

817 posts, read 2,188,243 times
Let me know if you see enough out there to snowshoe in and I'll plan on spending Christmas in Madison. Last year, I had to go to Colebrook to have a white Christmas.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:55 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNHguy View Post
Really???

I would not have known

Let me go to the window and check....
Hopefully you'll get some snow up there soon I wasn't meaning my prior post to be sarcastic.

Old 12-17-2011, 06:18 AM

497 posts, read 952,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Hopefully you'll get some snow up there soon I wasn't meaning my prior post to be sarcastic.
nor was I...

All in fun. That's what great here...

Closest thing to snow is flurries and ice....

Madison Weather - AccuWeather Forecast for NH 03849 (http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/madison-nh/03849/weather-forecast/2174589 - broken link)

Old 12-18-2011, 05:13 AM

3 posts, read 19,311 times

Two of the six pair of snowshoes I own...all old school. I mostly use mine to pack trails for cross country skiing around my property, so I wouldn't be caught dead in those new style shoes; they're far too small to make a good trail! I've used a pair once, but prefer the old style shoes. Different lengths and widths for different conditions and intentions. I've paid anywhere from $125 for a pair of good, used snowshoes to scoring them for free. Whatever shoes you choose, enjoy them!

Last edited by haybelly; 12-18-2011 at 05:15 AM.. Reason: use smaller photo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire