Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 03:17 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,542,547 times

Advertisements

I sharpened up my hype killer the moment I saw one of the guys tag lines

" We want to educate the people here in NH on good BBQ "

Mmmm.. ok, let's see what you are made of. So off we went today , the first day of the new year to try Memphis BBQ and Blues in Milford NH.

Now had this been great or even above average que, the location itself is fantastic. The place sits just off 101 in Milford a major route for us in the spring through fall and ideal for the hundreds of bikers who make their yearly pilgrimage to the Keene Swap meet.

The outside is plain but not rundown, getting out of the car it is what we don't notice that gives the first clue of what lays ahead.. no smoke..no visible smoke and no smokey smell hanging the air

I don't know about you but when I see a place put Blues in their signage I expect blues, canned or live makes no diff. Nope no music here, in fact no attempt at kitsch either. The place was start and void of music, just the Sunday football game droning softly in the background at the bar. The menu is also sparse and a tad on the high side. Looking things over Linda and I decided that the best course of action is to order ala carte , so we indulge ourselves on two pulled pork sliders and a 1/4 rack of ribs

The Pulled Pork..

DRY, no evidence of rub, the bark indicates they were most likely smoked, but it was probably in apple wood . The utilization of a very healthy dose of spicy bbq sauce allows the dried strings of sad pig meat to be eaten without overly choking. In their defense they are no worse then most places..no better either.

The Ribs.. Some of the worse I had in a while. The catch phrase ..So good it falls off the bone,is really a misnomer, rib meat falling off the bone indicates ribs that were over cooked ( and usually mushy ). These ribs did not have that problem.. they were undercooked, so much so that some of the pink I saw had absolutely nothing to do with a smoke ring. A good smoked rib, should allow you to pull the meat cleanly off the bone.. these you had to fight with, and frankly there was nothing there worth fighting for.

The bill..two sodas ( 2.25 each ) pulled pork sliders and ribs

I can leave Goody Coles for the same money after eating my way through three meats, and two sides, PLUS cornbread.

I would like to say that it is maybe because the haven't been open that long but I know that will not be the case. They are just another addition to the ever growing group of establishments that cannot and should not do bbq..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 03:50 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,244,680 times
Thanks Dave, No smoke, no music? You saved me a trip down.

Old 01-01-2012, 04:11 PM

3,685 posts, read 7,422,687 times
Thanks for taking one for the team; saves me an unfortunate trip.

Old 01-01-2012, 04:19 PM

Keep in mind folks that this is only the opinion of one man. I do not get paid to do this.. but then again I do not get paid to endorse Goody Coles either.. and for several years running that is my only real choice for que in the immediate NH area.

Old 01-01-2012, 05:41 PM

1,239 posts, read 2,007,799 times
Haven't been yet, but I do know they have a reduced Sunday menu. Maybe thy should just close on Sunday's instead.

Old 01-01-2012, 05:45 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,064,634 times
Dave- disappointing, I'll still probably give them a shot in the hopes it was related to the Holiday perhaps...we'll see.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:40 PM

2 posts, read 3,803 times
I have to say that I really try to just read these sites to learn what we can fix and not to respond to someones opinion because I do believe everyone see things in different ways. The writer of this review has some very valid and sad to say true points. I wont try to defend the mistakes I've made, but in fairness to my people that have and are working so hard to get this right I feel I need to make our case for a fair chance. Maybe we should be closed Sunday rather then offer so small a menu, it's something I'm seriously considering. The day you came in was 10 days after we opened and after two major holidays where we had a great time and made a lot of people happy,but in the process I wore my people down to the bone. Again I agree, not your problem. You have every right to expect the best value every time you show up and if I can't give it that day I shouldn't be open. For that I apologize. I only wish you had said something to me or my staff when you were there. We closed down that next day because I did finally see through the haze that we were screwing up big time that day. If I can I will track down your bill and if you paid with a card I will try to refund your money just like I would have that day. We will continue to listen and try to give the best that we can, but if I have failed so far it is not from lack of trying by some very good and hard working people that call Memphis BBQ and Blues their job. For those of you that have read this review and placed your faith in this gentleman's observations I can only hope that you will also consider that his poor experience may not be the only possible outcome of a visit to us.

One final note, if my bravado in making the comment that we " would educate the people of NH in good BBQ" offended anyone I'm sorry. The only one getting educated here is me and I just hope it not at the expense of the people that work here.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:25 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,064,634 times
What a thoughtful and professional response, I appreciate a business owner that says "ehh, we're working on things" as opposed to arguing or throwing the staff under the bus.

I hope the best for your businesses success & will be out to try the food in the near future. Starting a business (restaurant especially) is tough work.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB&B View Post
I have to say that I really try to just read these sites to learn what we can fix and not to respond to someones opinion because I do believe everyone see things in different ways. The writer of this review has some very valid and sad to say true points. I wont try to defend the mistakes I've made, but in fairness to my people that have and are working so hard to get this right I feel I need to make our case for a fair chance. Maybe we should be closed Sunday rather then offer so small a menu, it's something I'm seriously considering. The day you came in was 10 days after we opened and after two major holidays where we had a great time and made a lot of people happy,but in the process I wore my people down to the bone. Again I agree, not your problem. You have every right to expect the best value every time you show up and if I can't give it that day I shouldn't be open. For that I apologize. I only wish you had said something to me or my staff when you were there. We closed down that next day because I did finally see through the haze that we were screwing up big time that day. If I can I will track down your bill and if you paid with a card I will try to refund your money just like I would have that day. We will continue to listen and try to give the best that we can, but if I have failed so far it is not from lack of trying by some very good and hard working people that call Memphis BBQ and Blues their job. For those of you that have read this review and placed your faith in this gentleman's observations I can only hope that you will also consider that his poor experience may not be the only possible outcome of a visit to us.

One final note, if my bravado in making the comment that we " would educate the people of NH in good BBQ" offended anyone I'm sorry. The only one getting educated here is me and I just hope it not at the expense of the people that work here.

I greatly appreciate your response and rarely do I give a place just one chance. I will visit you again. It is never my intention to hurt a business or be mean spirited in a review, and I try to always be clear this is just my opinion.

I was told on another forum that I was insane for trying to find good Que in NH.

In 17 years I have found three, yet sadly two of them are closed. One however took a few visits to win me over, and that was City Flame, they even had a brisket I found tolerable. So no I am not easy on rib joints,but do understand the many variations and mistakes even good pit masters can make.

And no, I am certainly not offended by the remark, and I doubt any else is, Bravado keeps us all striving to live up to our claims..even if we have to work harder. You can succeed, and here is hoping you do.
And I'll keep eating que and discussing my findings.. and telling others..

GO TRY IT ( and all of them ) YOURSELF .. Don't just take my word,I'm just a guy who likes what I like, opinions may vary.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BF66389 View Post
What a thoughtful and professional response, I appreciate a business owner that says "ehh, we're working on things" as opposed to arguing or throwing the staff under the bus.

I hope the best for your businesses success & will be out to try the food in the near future. Starting a business (restaurant especially) is tough work.

I agree 100%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire