Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2012, 02:05 PM

11 posts, read 27,917 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband has a choice between a job in Peabody, MA or Bridgeport, NJ so we are trying to get as much info about each area to make the best decision. We have a 7 year old son, but he is home schooled so schools aren't a concern. I am concerned about the laws in NH regarding homeschooling. If anyone can give me their opinion on homeschooling in NH I would appreciate it.

We are originally from Maine so we don't have an issue with moving back up that way. We currently live in Macungie, PA and really like living in PA as well. I'm trying to get a feel for southern NH or northern MA.

My husband would be working from home some days, commuting to the office other days with some days on the road. We don't want to live in the city. We would like no more then a 45 min commute to the office in Peabody, MA at the most, but would prefer 30 min. unless the cost of living 15 more min. out is worth it. We are looking to rent not buy at this point. We would like a place where we can plant a garden or be involved with a community garden which we have done here in PA.

I'm having a hard time determining which would be the most economical place for us to live. According to the cost of living calculator I have been using, our cost of living will increase whether we pick a job in Peabody, MA or Bridgeport, NJ. It seems the increase in southern MA and NH is based on housing. In PA, NJ and DE it seems to be a combination of utilities and housing. I am also concerned about the cost of car insurance. I know that will be going up as well. MA is a no fault state not sure about NH.

I am rather stressed out about this. There just seems to be so much to consider and we don't want to make the wrong choice. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 03:31 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,989,003 times
You don't state whether you are renting an apartment or a house.

All towns north of Peabody (pronounced PEAbidy) are fine. Topsfield, Rowley, Middleton are just fine rural towns with homes with yards. Further is Gerogetown, Amesbury, Boxford, Newbury, Newburyport - all nice towns.

If renting then total taxes are not much different then NH. NH just taxes in other ways. There is no sales tax in NH. But your car registration fees both town and state are similiar to MA. Just different names. Car insurance is not mandatory in NH. So beware if driving in NH and make sure you have high coverage for uninsured motorist.

All of the town in NH that border MA are quite nice. Because of no sales tax in NH the NH border towns will have bunches of inexpensive looking beer and cigarette stores.

I know nothing about home schooling but my guess is that NH is not much different from MA.

The major roads coming from north are Interstate Route 95, Old Route 1, Route 495 could be in there some place depending on where you end up.

Having commuted to work at less then 10 minutes for years and commuted over 1.5 hours (one way) for years I can easily state that the shorter the commute the better. No matter where you live everyone in the morning and evenings is in a hurry. Route 95 can be tough at times as there are people who live in Maine and commute to Boston. And Friday night heading north on any of the roads is full of traffic.

Good Luck.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:24 PM

30 posts, read 92,107 times
I'm not sure why your looking at S. NH if your working in Peabody and want a commute of less than 45 minutes. Alot of traffic heads south towards Boston out of NH. Also, if you live in NH and work in MA you will still pay MA income taxes so no benefit there. I think you could find some rural/country-type communities near Peabody especially if your homeschooling. If the school systems don't matter you can get in to a town where your living costs will be much lower. You could look at Topsfield, Rowley, Boxford, Middleton, Wenham. These are all smaller towns with farm land, horses etc. much more of a country feel, not a city and the commute with be much less than any NH town. I would avoid Manchester by the Sea, Essex and Hamilton as these are all towns nearby but they have better schools systems and higher property living costs.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:33 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,565 times
The seacoast would probably work quite well for ya.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:53 AM

858 posts, read 1,807,305 times
Is the salary the same in both locations? Is being closer to family a concern? Probably MA/NH would be a tad cheaper than NJ, but no by much.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:24 PM

11 posts, read 27,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
You don't state whether you are renting an apartment or a house.

Having commuted to work at less then 10 minutes for years and commuted over 1.5 hours (one way) for years I can easily state that the shorter the commute the better. No matter where you live everyone in the morning and evenings is in a hurry. Route 95 can be tough at times as there are people who live in Maine and commute to Boston. And Friday night heading north on any of the roads is full of traffic.

We would be willing to rent either depending on the cost and location.

We would prefer a shorter commute. It just seems like the cost of housing is much higher in MA then NH. I'm trying to balance it out somehow so housing isn't to high and the commute not too long. That may not be possible.

I remember seeing the traffic coming into Maine especially during tourist season. Usually it was backed way up at the toll booths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trishaluna View Post
I'm not sure why your looking at S. NH if your working in Peabody and want a commute of less than 45 minutes. Alot of traffic heads south towards Boston out of NH. Also, if you live in NH and work in MA you will still pay MA income taxes so no benefit there. I think you could find some rural/country-type communities near Peabody especially if your homeschooling. If the school systems don't matter you can get in to a town where your living costs will be much lower. You could look at Topsfield, Rowley, Boxford, Middleton, Wenham. These are all smaller towns with farm land, horses etc. much more of a country feel, not a city and the commute with be much less than any NH town. I would avoid Manchester by the Sea, Essex and Hamilton as these are all towns nearby but they have better schools systems and higher property living costs.

The reason I have been looking at NH is because of the higher cost of housing in MA.

I read somewhere in the NH forum that if you live close to 95 in NH that it is a straight shot pretty much to Peabody and that the congestion doesn't get really bad until Peabody which is where my husband would be getting off. I also checked communities in NH for the commute time to Peabody and came up with that commute time on Mapquest. Obviously that doesn't include rush hour.

You are making me homesick for New England with your descriptions of the countryside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merjolie8 View Post
Is the salary the same in both locations? Is being closer to family a concern? Probably MA/NH would be a tad cheaper than NJ, but no by much.
The salary would increase in both locations plus there would be a cost of living increase depending on the area. We would love to be back in New England because of family in ME and CT, but because this is a newly created position we aren't sure how much travel time would really be involved at either location and it is a concern for our son who loves to spend time with his Daddy. We are still looking as well in PA which is where we live now. Just more south. We have pretty much decided against NJ and DE at this point.

Thank you to everyone for your help.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:04 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
I suggest renting an apartment in Peabody, Mass. and spend a year or so looking around the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire