Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2012, 12:00 PM

2 posts, read 3,788 times

Advertisements

I've just moved to Wilson and Manchester Streets in Manch and would like to know about the neighborhood. First how is this neighborhood referred to by the locals. I've seen online it called "East End". I've never heard someone say that, but i have heard "East Side"
The map i've seen online labels half the city as the East End but i want to know if there is a name for this small neighborhood. I'm thinking of starting a business and would like to name it something like "East End ___"

thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 03:09 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,137,371 times
It's East Side for sure....almost central. I've never heard it called the East End.

There is the North End, however, which indicates the north end of Elm St. area and the South End, the south end of Elm St. area. Elm St. is the main street of downtown and is a deadend at both ends.

Realtors tend to refer to this area as the east end.

Some businesses there are named East Side Laundry, East Side Club, East Side Plaza.

The area mentioned, in particular, is sometimes referred to as the Hanover Hill area or the Derryfield area.

Hallsville is the name of the area around Wilson and Somersworth Sts.

Last edited by buck naked; 01-21-2012 at 03:18 PM..

Old 01-22-2012, 07:46 PM

2 posts, read 3,788 times
Thanks for the information.
I'm still not sure about a name but now i know to make the mistake of calling it East End.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:00 PM

2 posts, read 3,305 times
Wilson and Manchester st area..... I'm only a few blocks from you. This side of the city is generally known to locals as the "East side". That neighborhood isn't the greatest, but as far as neighborhoods along Wilson st go it could be worse. The closer south you go along Wilson st. (toward Lake ave.) the neighborhoods get worse. I haven't heard much as far as crime within a few blocks of you in the news, so it's probably ok in that respect. Just make sure you keep your doors and windows locked, and vehicles locked as well. Also, if you don't have off street parking, the police are VERY strict when it comes to parking enforcement during snow emergencies and DO tow cars away if left on the street overnight.

The little market on the corner of Wilson st. and Hanover st. is your typical hole in the wall corner convienience store. The East side plaza up towards the highway has a Hanafords grocery store, which usually has some good meats at fair prices. Produce is hit or miss depending on what you're looking for. The chinese restaurant that's in the plaza isn't too good. Their food is at best fair, the service isn't the greatest either. There are various places on the internet with a variety of reviews on it. I've delivered meats to them, I've seen the inside of their kitchen... I haven't eaten there since, if that gives you an idea. There's a little hole in the wall chinese restaurant off of Mammoth rd. called Heng Won that has pretty good food, generous portions, and is reasonably priced. There are some ok pizza places in the area too. Papa Johns on Elm st, Domino's next to Central High School (on Lowell st.), Alley Cat Pizza on Chestnut (between Bridge st. and Lowell st.) are usually my first picks when I order, and in that order. I've heard from friends that the Chatteau restaurant (Hanover st. between Union and Pine streets) has good pizza as well.

Not sure if any of this helps or if you're looking for any other information as to the area, but I'll try and help if I can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire