Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 09:15 PM

17 posts, read 20,110 times

Advertisements

thanks a lot i was looking at those jazzea! thanks for the info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 10:07 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,945,596 times
It is notoriously hard to rent with dogs, and seems to be getting worse. Property owners are being ultra-picky with their tenants, and smokers/pet owners have a harder time than others to rent decent quality apartments. I recommend that anyone who needs to rent with a pet gets written references from a previous landlord, or anyone who has spent time with your dog (trainer, boarding kennel, veterinarian, etc). This says alot about your level of responsibility as an owner. Also, if the dog has any formal training (even Canine Good Citizen certificate) bring along proof of this. In my younger years, I was able to rent a (no pets allowed) single-family home with my 2 adult German Shepherd Dogs due to the written recommendations of my veterinarian, the dog's Canine Good Citizen awards (easy to earn, by the way).

You should definitely check out Twin Ponds in south Nashua. It's on Spit Brook Road (yeah, gross name, I know...) and it's very pet-friendly. There are multiple fenced-in dog play areas in the complex, something very unique for the area. I don't believe any of the units are privately owned, so you would need to contact the rental office directly.

I want to warn you (especially since you're out of the country at the moment) about the dangers of craigslist. If you see a rental property that appears too good to be true, be VERY cautious. It's estimated that nearly half of all the rentals that appear in craigslist are fraud. I can tell you from personal experience that this does happen (a legitimate listing I had for sale was posted as a super-cheap rental, and the scam 'artist' was very convincing in their emails).

Old 01-29-2012, 10:55 PM

Valerie C, thanks for the info, we got our dogs as abused strays from japan so no training or good pet awards, and that kinda things is not really avaliable in Okinawa they are very well behaved clean dogs thou, I think we will really check out twin ponds thou,its really hard because we can't come check anything out before hand so they kindda just throw us into Nashua and I have to do all my looking online can u suggest and realtors that could make my search a little easier?
And one more thing is new Hampshire a military friendly area? My husband will be in his uniform alot and just wanted make sure he won't have too many problems ( some areas in the states you do) thxs alot

Old 01-30-2012, 05:00 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
I have lived just east of Nashua for over 25 years and have never seen any reaction to a uniform except an ocassional "Thank you for your service".

I suggest looking for a Nashua Realators organization website. I agree with ValC to be very careful around Craigslist.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:05 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,034,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avasmom26 View Post
can u suggest and realtors that could make my search a little easier?
ValerieC herself is an awesome agent! PM her.

Quote:
And one more thing is new Hampshire a military friendly area? My husband will be in his uniform alot and just wanted make sure he won't have too many problems ( some areas in the states you do) thxs alot
No problems, NH is fine with service people.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:56 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,945,596 times
Quote:
I find NH to be very military friendly. Expect him to have random strangers approach to say "Thank you for your service".

Quote:
Valerie C, thanks for the info, we got our dogs as abused strays from japan so no training or good pet awards, and that kinda things is not really avaliable in Okinawa they are very well behaved clean dogs thou, I think we will really check out twin ponds thou,its really hard because we can't come check anything out before hand so they kindda just throw us into Nashua and I have to do all my looking online can u suggest and realtors that could make my search a little easier?
Thank YOU for adopting homeless strays and giving them a good home. I've had a number of rescue dogs in my life, and each of them (now gone) has left a pawprint in my heart... Even a note from their vet might be helpful, and make you stand apart from someone else with dogs, surely can't hurt

Last edited by Valerie C; 01-30-2012 at 08:38 AM..

Old 01-30-2012, 12:31 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,382,565 times
Although I've never spent a lot of time in Nashua, I think it (and most of NH) is military friendly. Exceptions might be granola-crunchin hippie holdouts like Keene, Peterborough, and many college towns like Durham.

I spent 3 years in the Montpelier Vermont area as a ROTC instructor. I felt very uncomfortable wearing my uniform in downtown Montpelier, and many looks I got from the locals screamed "baby killer". Get out into the country, however, and the locals didn't seem to mind.

I think you'll find Nashua and most of the rest of NH to be extremely friendly towards anyone in uniform. I had a stranger buy me lunch (who left before I could thank him or her) and have gotten military discounts I didn't even ask for. You don't see a lot of military in NH (in uniform, anyway), so you do tend to get noticed. Good thing, if you ask me. Unless you're in Peterborough.....

Old 01-30-2012, 05:03 PM

Thanks everyone its good to know that my husband should not have to many problems, while in his uniform, that kinda worries me. It seems every place that is nice wont allow pets! my dogs are two small okinawa terriers (MUTTs) . I guess we are gonn just keep looking for a home ! thanks everyone who commented !!! keep the sugestions coming if you can

Old 01-31-2012, 08:15 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,851,013 times
Heck, if I see him in his uniform I'd buy him lunch! I know where he will be working on Amherst st. There is a recruiting office on 101A. From there, it is easy to get to Amherst, Milford, Merrimack...

We lived in Hollis crossing 15 years ago and it is nice. Live in Amherst now.
For dogs, go to nh.craigslist.com and check the rentals page. There is a checkbox for dogs.
new hampshire apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

If you find a potential place, post the address here and we can give some feedback on the street, neighborhood, etc.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:21 PM

That is where he will be working can't wait to get to new hampshire! I hope its as nice as it seems! I have not been back to the states in three years, its gonna be different thank you for all ur help ! , does anyone know about what areas in Manchester are
nice?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire