Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2012, 02:48 PM

113 posts, read 448,596 times

Advertisements

I know someone who's hoping to purchase a mobile home in southern New Hampshire (Manchester area.) I know nothing about them, however. Do any of you have insight on mobile home communities you'd recommend and/or people/places that sell mobile homes on the cheap side? Any resources you could point me to would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 03:23 PM

448 posts, read 1,048,897 times
whats cheap??
i have no clue on mobile home coummuities myself as i would prefer not to pay lot rent.

Last edited by vter; 02-13-2012 at 03:41 PM..

Old 02-11-2012, 03:44 PM

369 posts, read 961,262 times
You'll need to do a little research on individual parks. Some are Co-op meaning the residents own them and have some control over which services are provided (if at all) and what maintence gets done. All of this will have an effect on what one pays for lot rent. Older single wide units (12ftwide) can be had for well under 10K, most will have had a peaked roof added and other upgrades like modern double hung windows, 100 amp electrical panels and newer furnaces.

With a Co-op you'll have to put up with (possibly) quirky rules buy this kind of park tends to screen applicants well to keep out the riff-raff. Typically its a CORI and credit check.

If you get a unit with an oil fired furnace and an outside oil tank you'll need to run kerosene which is wicked expensive. Enclosing the tank with a three sided shed connected to the side of the home lets you use regular heating oil for far less money.Propane might be the best choice for a heating fuel.

Newer mobiles in the 14 to 16 foot width are built better than most stick built homes with 2X6 walls and lots of insulation. Pricing on new units (14X) can start in the mid 20's even new but this does not include set up. Pretty much everywhere you go these days you'll be required to set up on a frost wall foundation or floating slab.

Even if you are able to place one on private land the taxes you pay will be far, far less than a comprable stick built home. A new mobile on a vacant lot is hard to be able to do anywhere in the southern half of NH buy IIRC this can be done in many towns north of the Manchester / Concord area. Replacing a older mobile on private land is still possible but again, you'll need to do more research. Real estate taves on a mobil inside a park are laughably low.

If you can swing the purchase out of pocket and even with the lot rent & RE taxes this is one of the least expensive ways to live unless you like living in a tent out in the woods. Much cheaper than renting most comprable sized apartments

Old 02-11-2012, 04:13 PM

113 posts, read 448,596 times
ganto - cheap is around 20k or (preferably) less. it needs to be big enough to fit an adult and two small children. thanks for that link.

mrtwigg- thanks SO much for all that info, i've passed it on.

Old 02-11-2012, 04:56 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,900,809 times
I read something a long time ago and it may not apply, but if it does, it's important to know.

The article said there are usually lots of used mobile homes for sale. The reason is that some/a lot of the better parks try to keep the place looking good and to keep lowlives out. To do this they will not allow trailers in the park if they are over a certain amount of years old, so those wishing to stay, every so often sell the old trailer and buy new.

So buying an old trailer may limit your entrance into your desired park.

Also, in some areas, when we had that real estate boom owners of parks were selling to developers.

So, do all the research and reading and questioning that you can before committing your hard earned cash.

Maybe all I've said is wrong, but please look into it.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:12 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,867,781 times
The quality of mobile homes both single and double wide varies dramatically. Most manufacturers make high quality units and cheaper price leader units.

On the lower priced ones many manufacturers use low priced windows, doors, plumbing fixtures, and furnaces.

If purchasing in a park as stated above read the covenants. Some are quite strict.

All/most single wide units depreciate. Insurance is different.

There are some real nice MH parks. One to view is off Manchester Street in Concord.

And as stated above is the park a coop where you purchase shares? Do you own the land? Is the park privately owned? What are the fees? How often do the fees go up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire