Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2012, 04:31 PM

3 posts, read 11,239 times

Advertisements

I've heard some good and bad things about Dover, NH. I'd just would like to know what people think of the area. Right now I'm living in the NEK of VT and I don't like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 01:11 PM

11 posts, read 35,421 times
Hi all,
I live in Central Vt and am researching multipile places to retire in in a few years . Dover and Rochester NH keep coming up on my search lists as "the best places to reitre in in NH". I very much want to get out of the snow belt but don't want to give up four distinct seasons all together. I also don't want to be where a hurricane could come inland too far. Could someone give a snapshot comparison of Dover vs. Rochester?

Autumnmoon

Old 03-06-2012, 04:13 PM

40 posts, read 114,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcostin87 View Post
I've heard some good and bad things about Dover, NH. I'd just would like to know what people think of the area. Right now I'm living in the NEK of VT and I don't like it.
I'm from Portsmouth and am considering relocating back to NH soon from PA. I never spent much time in Dover because Portsmouth is so great, but maybe a bit expensive for us to eventually buy a home. My recent impression of Dover has been good: coffee shops, decent restaraunts, pubs, etc. I guess it depends on what you're looking for. It has a walk able downtown and seems to be growing. Lots of 20-40 somethings and close to UNH, not too far from the ocean in Rye or Newcastle (20-30 min). I think the property taxes are low. I lived in the Burlington VT area for years and love it up there, if there were more jobs id probably be back there. I hope this helps!

Old 03-07-2012, 09:18 AM

477 posts, read 899,609 times
I grew up sandwiched between Dover and Rochester. I moved away and never looked back because there was too many people. Even worse now. However, in my visiting back there, it looks like Dover has had somewhat of a rebirth and is doing pretty well. Even back in the day, though, if I had to choose, it would be Dover. The thought of living in Rochester, to me, is unimaginable.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:48 AM

2,360 posts, read 5,244,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHForester View Post
I grew up sandwiched between Dover and Rochester. I moved away and never looked back because there was too many people. Even worse now. However, in my visiting back there, it looks like Dover has had somewhat of a rebirth and is doing pretty well. Even back in the day, though, if I had to choose, it would be Dover. The thought of living in Rochester, to me, is unimaginable.
If you want downtown type living Dover is definatly better than Rochester. There are some nice areas on the outskirts or Rochester. The areas out toward Strafford are pretty nice. Stay away from Somersworth. That area has always been pretty rough.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:52 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,381,728 times
What NHForester and Ken E said.

Dover all the way. I'll be building a house in between Dover and Rochester in Barrington, but will most likely be drawn to Dover for any downtown activities even though I'll be closer to Rochester. Here's what I've said in the past:

When I was a kid in the 80s, Portsmouth was the place to be. Dover is where you lived if you couldn't afford Portsmouth because it was a little rough. Rochester wasn't even in the picture. Recently, Dover has become a "destination" of its own with a revitalized downtown and property values have risen as the town has become more desirable. Now Rochester is seen as the "bargain" for those who can't afford Portsmouth or even Dover, but if you ask me it's still a rough place especially downtown.

I think its got a ways to go. No major crime usually, but a fuller police blotter than I'm comfortable with. I'd go to the big box stores on the outskirts, but have no desire to go downtown like I would in Dover. Dover's high school isn't winning awards, but its a lot better compared to Spaulding in Rochester.

I think in 10-20 years Rochester will be like Dover is now, just like Dover was like Rochester 20 years ago. I just don't want to wait that long for the city to bloom. If I wanted to live in a city like that, I'd move to Jersey.

I'm sure there are nice areas of Rochester (and other than downtown it is getting nicer every day), but the city has too much baggage for me. Sorry if I offended any Rochester'ites. BTW, I grew up in the Seacoast so I have history there (and will yet again).

Stay close to Dover!

Old 03-07-2012, 02:34 PM

477 posts, read 899,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
Stay away from Somersworth. That area has always been pretty rough.
Don't I know it. Spent the first 23 years of my life there.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:13 PM

11 posts, read 35,421 times
Thank you everyone! I have a friend who has relatives outside Portland, ME who keeping telling her that the Dover/Rocherster area would be great for her, coming from Vt. I think we shall need to take a road trip for a weekend or so once spring has sprung and the traveling will be fun.

Old 08-31-2017, 07:59 PM

1 posts, read 4,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveusaf View Post
What NHForester and Ken E said.

Dover all the way. I'll be building a house in between Dover and Rochester in Barrington, but will most likely be drawn to Dover for any downtown activities even though I'll be closer to Rochester. Here's what I've said in the past:

When I was a kid in the 80s, Portsmouth was the place to be. Dover is where you lived if you couldn't afford Portsmouth because it was a little rough. Rochester wasn't even in the picture. Recently, Dover has become a "destination" of its own with a revitalized downtown and property values have risen as the town has become more desirable. Now Rochester is seen as the "bargain" for those who can't afford Portsmouth or even Dover, but if you ask me it's still a rough place especially downtown.

I think its got a ways to go. No major crime usually, but a fuller police blotter than I'm comfortable with. I'd go to the big box stores on the outskirts, but have no desire to go downtown like I would in Dover. Dover's high school isn't winning awards, but its a lot better compared to Spaulding in Rochester.

I think in 10-20 years Rochester will be like Dover is now, just like Dover was like Rochester 20 years ago. I just don't want to wait that long for the city to bloom. If I wanted to live in a city like that, I'd move to Jersey.

I'm sure there are nice areas of Rochester (and other than downtown it is getting nicer every day), but the city has too much baggage for me. Sorry if I offended any Rochester'ites. BTW, I grew up in the Seacoast so I have history there (and will yet again).

Stay close to Dover!
Dover is making it's way to become a mix of good modern stuff and good, undamaged old stuff. We now are getting a new high school. Dover is not all damaged like Rochester, and Dover doesn't have your everyday crime in every neighborhood, that's just in the projects, and new york street. Rochester is disgusting. The whole place is like the dollar store.

Old 09-01-2017, 04:14 AM

139 posts, read 155,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing is a viable usern View Post
Dover is making it's way to become a mix of good modern stuff and good, undamaged old stuff. We now are getting a new high school. Dover is not all damaged like Rochester, and Dover doesn't have your everyday crime in every neighborhood, that's just in the projects, and new york street. Rochester is disgusting. The whole place is like the dollar store.
New high school might mean higher property taxes in the near future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire