Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2006, 07:11 AM

2 posts, read 11,732 times

Advertisements

I have a job offer in Bedford, NH. My wife and I were born and raised in Mystic, CT but have lived the past 3 years in Alabama. I hate long commutes so I would like to know about living in Bedford. We have 2 children (8 & 10) and the schools are VERY important to us. We plan on spending roughly $500k on a house. Any suggestions on neighoborhoods, surrounding communities, specific developments we should look at? Any areas we should avoid? The move would take place by this January. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2006, 02:15 PM

55 posts, read 285,999 times
Default Question

Hi, I wish I could help you with questions about Bedford, but my husband and I are looking to move to NH ourselves (the seacoast)...but I wondered if you would be willing to tell me if you recommend Mystic as a place to live? We started our search there but taxes and other factors had us move it north to NH. I have never spoken with anyone who actually has lived there, with children. If you have any input you're willing to share, I greatly appreciate it. Thanks. And if I hear anything about Bedford, I will pass it on. I will pm you some info I have about where to research. Thanks.

Old 09-15-2006, 01:02 PM

1 posts, read 8,685 times
I am a web site designer for Nh realtors. you should talk to Kelesy at nh home team. they are located in Bedford and really know the whole area.
since i don't want this to be an ad... i know kelsey and she is really good at helping people move into the area.. you can find her at Moderator cut: Sorry, link is considered an ad

Old 09-15-2006, 02:45 PM

104 posts, read 467,074 times
If you have $500K to spend on a home, you can afford to live in Bedford! It is one of the more affluent towns in NH, and very conveniently located near Manchester and Nashua, yet it has a nice country feel and very good schools and town facilities. It is a lovely town. Other really nice towns to consider would be Amherst and Mont Vernon, which is beautiful!

Old 12-31-2006, 10:11 AM

3 posts, read 18,160 times
Cool Bedford Nh

I Moved To Bedford January 2006 From Fort Lauderdale. My Husband Stayed In Fort Lauderdale Because Of Our Business. I Moved To Bedford Because Of The Supreme School System. I Had A 4th Grader At That Time. The Public Schools Are Awful And Dangerous In Fort Lauderdale So We Were Paying Over $15,000.00 A Year For Private School. I Wanted A More Wholesome Atmosphere To Raise My Daughter. Unfortunately The Distance Between My Husband And Myself And Adjusting To A New Area Made Me So Homesick That In June We Moved Back To Fort Lauderdale. However ...faced With The Same Problem Of The School System And The Fact That Our Home Has Not Yet Sold In Bedford I Am Considering A Move Back In June. Can You Say Looney? Lol. My Daughter Has Kept In Touch With Most Of The Children That She Had Met Via Computer And Phone. She Received Christmas Cards From All Of Them. She Has Actually Missed It There Very Very Very Much-to The Point Of Tears. Another Perk Is That This Was The First Year In The New Highschool In Bedford. Previously The Kids Were Bused To Manchester A Less Desirable School. I Must Add...i Moved To New Hampshire Without Knowing Anyone Or Having Any Family There. I Simply Wanted Out Of Florida After The Hurricanes And Did Extensive Research On The Internet. I Found That New Hampshire Itself But Bedford In Particular Had One Of He Best School Systems In The Nation. I Am Not A Racist Either But I Also Like The Demographics Being Primarily White After Living In An Area (south Florida)where You Had To Speak And Read Spanish Sometimes Just To Get By. Also There Are Two Grocery Stores In Town-stop And Shop And Hannafords. While Hannafords Can Sometimes Be A Bit More Expensive You Get A Better Selection And It Is The Better Grocery Store. Stop And Shop Produce Can Be A Bit Cheaper But If It Goes From Green To Rotten With No In Between And You Have To Throw It Away Then What Is Really Less Expensive? Plus The Produce Is Nicer And Has More Flavor At Hannafords. Big Skiing Is An Hour Away-however Right In Downtown Manchester They Have Skiing ,snowboarding And Tubing, Sledding Is All Over Town-several Hills, Berry Picking At The Farms Are In The Spring And Summer, There Is A Learning Farm For The Kids And Lakes Are All Over For Summer Time Fun. Boston Is 45 Minutes Away When You Need To Feel Some Big City Fun,take In A Broadway Show Etc. All In All...i Miss Bedford Terribly And Can't Wait To Get Back And My Daughter Can't Wait To Attend School There Again. I Hope This Has Answered Your Questions.

Old 12-31-2006, 09:00 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,474,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alannick View Post
I have a job offer in Bedford, NH. My wife and I were born and raised in Mystic, CT but have lived the past 3 years in Alabama. I hate long commutes so I would like to know about living in Bedford. We have 2 children (8 & 10) and the schools are VERY important to us. We plan on spending roughly $500k on a house. Any suggestions on neighoborhoods, surrounding communities, specific developments we should look at? Any areas we should avoid? The move would take place by this January. Thank you
Avoid any new holmes that have Toll Brothers as a genral contractor. They have a very bad reputation and several class action lawsuits against them here. There construction is barly code, and alot of contractors wont work for them because they push shoddy work. I Know several personaly that don't work for them, wont even bid on there jobs due to this.

Old 12-31-2006, 11:29 PM

9,401 posts, read 11,150,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOBOSINC View Post
I Moved To Bedford January 2006 From Fort Lauderdale. My Husband Stayed In Fort Lauderdale Because Of Our Business. I Terribly And Can't Wait To Get Back And My Daughter Can't Wait To Attend School There Again. I Hope This Has Answered Your Questions.
Wow, all those caps are hard on the eyeballs after a paragraph or two...

Old 01-01-2007, 07:47 PM

3 posts, read 18,160 times
I did not type it that way...it posted that way

Old 01-01-2007, 07:58 PM

66 posts, read 297,980 times
Default private message

Dobosinc,
I sent you a private message. Could you reply?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire