Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 11:41 AM

147 posts, read 213,667 times

Advertisements

Hello all. My husband and I are actively planning to move out of New York City and NH is in our short list of places we are considering. NYC has its plusses but we want to get away from the overcrowding and the things that come with it (eg. no space, little privacy, unclean environment, crimes, traffic). We have no use for the social/nightlife scene of the city and would like to be in a place with private but not unfriendly people.

What attracts us to NH - green (and clean) place with four seasons, smaller and quieter cities/towns, outdoors activities. If we can be within 2-3 hours of Boston (or other bigger cities), we wouldn't mind the drive when we feel like going to shows, museums, restaurants, shops, and other city amenities.

Right now our biggest concern about moving are jobs. What is the job market like in the southern part of NH? I'm a registered nurse and hubby is in tech. DH is willing to change careers if there are no tech jobs available but we are worried that our income will be greatly reduced.

I'd love to hear any comments, suggestions on jobs, relocation, etc. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 12:06 PM

491 posts, read 1,373,094 times
There is lots of tech in MA along the the RT3 and RT128 corridor. He may even luck-out and find something in southern NH. RT3 and 128 are commutable from S.NH. 128 is too far for my tastes but I've been able to stay within 25 miles of Nashua for over 15 years.

Between Nashua, Manchester, Lowell MA, and Lawrence MA, there are lots of hospitals and doctors offices.

Old 08-02-2012, 02:32 PM

70 posts, read 166,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avlis13013 View Post
There is lots of tech in MA along the the RT3 and RT128 corridor. He may even luck-out and find something in southern NH. RT3 and 128 are commutable from S.NH. 128 is too far for my tastes but I've been able to stay within 25 miles of Nashua for over 15 years.
Since you're from NY, you'll need to know that anytime someone mentions 128, they mean I-95

Old 08-02-2012, 02:50 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,481,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by east2westagain View Post
Since you're from NY, you'll need to know that anytime someone mentions 128, they mean I-95

Correct but it is actualy I-495 that is the tech route.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:38 PM

70 posts, read 166,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Correct but it is actualy I-495 that is the tech route.
Really? All the interviews I've had with tech companies were in Waltham off 95. Of course, I'm not that familiar with 495. I pretty much only use it to go to the Cape.

Old 08-04-2012, 04:23 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,481,994 times
yes IBM is in Littleton, Cisco is in Boxboro . Basicly 495 from andover to Marlboro is the silicone vally of the east coast.

Old 08-04-2012, 06:44 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,953,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by east2westagain View Post
In the tech area, yes. But remember that in Peabody (pronounced PEA-Bidy), 95 splits and heads north, while 128 brings you out to Cape Ann

Old 08-04-2012, 07:53 AM

369 posts, read 964,819 times
Where to start ?

Crime: Manchester and Nashua are the primary cesspools (opinions vary) of human garbage, avoid.

Traffic: From Manchester south to the Ma border and east to the coast you'll feel right at home.
Stuck in traffic.

Drive around any possible new neighborhood. When you see a sign for a Sportsman's club do yourselves and the locals a favor and buy a house someplace else. (Sportsman's club = rifle range) They tend to generate some noise. Don't even think of moving in and trying to get the club to close. They're all grandfathered in and they ain't going away. We like our guns, shooting sports and hunting. If the sight of a dead deer hanging in your neighbor's yard offends you, you've made a bad decision.

If you buy a large tract of land and post it ("no trespassing") expect to have few if, any friends.
Again this goes to the tradition of hunting up here.

Coming from a nanny state like New York you're going to be unacustomed to the many freedoms we enjoy up here. Please don't attempt to make our state just like your previous home.

Politics: Liberals are restricted to Manchester and south to the Ma border and east to the coast.

Perhaps you have not heard of the Great Libertarian conspirancy;
We want to take over your government, ...and leave you alone.

You should seriously consider Massachusetts, you'll be accustomed to the politics, community life will be much more like what you're used to and you'll have a shorter commute and more new friends.

Not being grouchy, just pragmatic.
You'll thank me later.

Old 08-05-2012, 05:38 PM

4 posts, read 10,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrtwigg View Post
Where to start ?

Crime: Manchester and Nashua are the primary cesspools (opinions vary) of human garbage, avoid.

Traffic: From Manchester south to the Ma border and east to the coast you'll feel right at home.
Stuck in traffic.

Drive around any possible new neighborhood. When you see a sign for a Sportsman's club do yourselves and the locals a favor and buy a house someplace else. (Sportsman's club = rifle range) They tend to generate some noise. Don't even think of moving in and trying to get the club to close. They're all grandfathered in and they ain't going away. We like our guns, shooting sports and hunting. If the sight of a dead deer hanging in your neighbor's yard offends you, you've made a bad decision.

If you buy a large tract of land and post it ("no trespassing") expect to have few if, any friends.

Coming from a nanny state like New York you're going to be unacustomed to the many freedoms we enjoy up here. Please don't attempt to make our state just like your previous home.

Politics: Liberals are restricted to Manchester and south to the Ma border and east to the coast.

You should seriously consider Massachusetts, you'll be accustomed to the politics, community life will be much more like what you're used to and you'll have a shorter commute and more new friends.

You'll thank me later.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:01 AM

4,550 posts, read 11,702,451 times
[quote=Mrtwigg;25481180]Where to start ?

Stuck in traffic.

You'll thank me later. [/QUOT

DM. Me to i guess i live in a different better NH
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire