Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 03:51 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,898,261 times

Advertisements

He saw a suspicious person climbing out his neighbor's window AFTER his own home had been burglarized.

So I'm reading 2 'could have's' in your posts: He could have shot anyone and he could have tripped and fired his gun accidentally. However, he did neither of these things. What he DID do was discharge his gun safely into the ground. He COULD have called the police, and more than likely, we'd be hearing about him on "most wanted Wednesdays" on WMUR, you know, where they ask citizens to come forward and help solve a crime...

HIS NEIGHBORS (you know, the ones 'at risk') have all come forward in appreciation for his act of bravery. If he lived in my neighborhood and apprehended a criminal climbing out of my house with my belongings in his backpack, I'd be eternally grateful. To each his or her own...

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
I'm surprised that most of you defend the man for shooting in the public. He was not defending himself. He was not defending his home. He saw a suspicious person at another home.

What IF this person was not the burglar? You have a man charging another person and firing a weapon to scare him. The police acted appropriately. Mr. Fleming was pumped with adrenaline and was armed and dangerous. He could have shot anyone.

Common sense is all this man needed to dial 911 and report a suspected robbery in progress. Common sense.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 03:53 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,481,871 times
Quote:
I'm surprised that most of you defend the man for shooting in the public. He was not defending himself. He was not defending his home. He saw a suspicious person at another home.

What IF this person was not the burglar? You have a man charging another person and firing a weapon to scare him. The police acted appropriately. Mr. Fleming was pumped with adrenaline and was armed and dangerous. He could have shot anyone.

Common sense is all this man needed to dial 911 and report a suspected robbery in progress. Common sense.......
oh jesuz, go back to mass. are you fricken kidding me. only thing more frustrating than the cops arresting this guy is your post. Hope they Rob your house next. And good luck getting the cops to find your stuff and the guy who robs your house...

Old 02-22-2012, 03:54 PM

1,200 posts, read 2,209,307 times
Quote:

The shot wasn't aimed at the bad guy and the person he scared WAS a bad guy. You can play "What IF" all you want, the bottom line is he scared a bad guy and detained him. I'd be happy to have him as my neighbor.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:22 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,105,769 times
The bottom line is he held up a suspected robber. Good for him. Too bad he shot off his gun in his glee.

"HIS NEIGHBORS (you know, the ones 'at risk') have all come forward in appreciation for his act of bravery." - exaggerated hyperbole. Lots of his neighbors are appalled at what happened and his reaction. "I didn't even recognize him!" were the words of one neighbor.

BTW I am NH native born and raised.

The laws are written for "what if" reasons. The laws against discharging a firearm in a populated neighborhood are there for "what if" reasons.

I'm glad he caught a robber. Good for him. The robber may also have been caught if he called 911 while giving a description of the person. He claims he knows the robber. So he could have just told the cops who he suspected was robbing his neighbor's house and who might have robbed him also.

Sure hope I don't see a wild man running down my street shooting a gun any time soon.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:39 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,222,997 times
I'm really grateful to have moved into a real small neighborhood chock full of guys just like him.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:39 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,528,803 times
Quote:

considering the circumstances leading to the incident it was highly ( and I mean an almost impossiblity ) unlikely he had the wrong person.. he acted accordingly and the fact that the piece of scum is still alive shows he was not pumped on adrenalin but perfectly rational in his actions

Old 02-22-2012, 04:52 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,105,769 times
while various reports state he fired his weapon into the ground - this is what he said to WMUR,

"I approached him with a gun, told him to stop, and fired a warning shot to the left of him and into the woods. I was angry and I was worried this guy was going to come after me."

right...because it's likely that he would return to grab more crap after he broke his foot running from a neighbor's house.

I agree that the man is a hero for detaining a criminal. He was stupidly reckless for firing his weapon in a populated neighborhood where it is illegal to hunt or discharge a weapon. He is charged with reckless endangerment. Luckily nobody was in the woods at the time.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:22 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,380,560 times
Quote:

So you worry more about what MIGHT have happened than what DID happen and think you can lecture on common sense?

If the man was not the burglar its still no big deal since nobody was shot or injured. But he was the burglar & unlike the police a victim or witness is usually very certain of what is going on because its going on before their eyes, whereas the police need to go on descriptions & hope they catch the right guy.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:31 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,380,560 times
Quote:
The bottom line is he held up a suspected robber. Good for him. Too bad he shot off his gun in his glee.
Didnt sound gleeful to me.

"HIS NEIGHBORS (you know, the ones 'at risk') have all come forward in appreciation for his act of bravery." - exaggerated hyperbole. Lots of his neighbors are appalled at what happened and his reaction. "I didn't even recognize him!" were the words of one neighbor. [/quote]

sure you can fimd one or two, but as far as I can see he has overwhelming support.

Quote:
BTW I am NH native born and raised.
Still wrong.

Quote:
The laws are written for "what if" reasons. The laws against discharging a firearm in a populated neighborhood are there for "what if" reasons.
Yup, mostly they are there to keep people from recreational shooting. The police shoot in city limits all the time, why is it safer when they do it?

Quote:
I'm glad he caught a robber. Good for him. The robber may also have been caught if he called 911 while giving a description of the person. He claims he knows the robber. So he could have just told the cops who he suspected was robbing his neighbor's house and who might have robbed him also.
The robber might have been caught if he called 911, but he might not have, he might have also robbed more houses before he was aught & might have been shot in the process or might have hurt someone else. We can "He mighta" all day & night, but what matters is what did happen.

Quote:
Sure hope I don't see a wild man running down my street shooting a gun any time soon.
Where does it say he was running down the street shooting?

And it would be much different if he was only charged with discharging within city or town limits. Thats not a felony anywhere I can think of & thats not what he was charged with.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:20 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,048,717 times
I'm guessing they will let him off with no charges...as they should.

Apparently the police and the like are being sent threatening letters from across the country; which I think is crap. Constructive letters showing support for the man is the way to go...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire