Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 07:39 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,134,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
unit731- if the employee was valuable enough I might give him a gasoline only credit card. In any case I would negotiate.

FWIW - I think all salaries should be posted on the company bullitin board or website. That way the best would know they were being paid more than the slackers.

that would backfire with a lot of companies because now-a-days slackers get more $ for whining than the guy who does his work and keeps his mouth shut
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 08:34 AM

1,771 posts, read 5,064,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
that would backfire with a lot of companies because now-a-days slackers get more $ for whining than the guy who does his work and keeps his mouth shut
Some companies actually do things like that:
1) Salaries are open knowledge
2) Employees are "laddered" vs. employees at a similar level

It works very well- the result is that salaries are consistant within a given level and everyone always knows where they stand regarding performance, promotions, layoffs, etc.

There are some policies that go with it to ensure it isn't skewed by a hateful manager and that folks who just moved into a new job have 6 months/a year to "pick up" their performance without being rated at the bottom, etc.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:06 AM

4 posts, read 4,093 times
Should have been more clearer. Normally with our construction business we offer the guys to come to the shop and drive to job site in one truck rather than using their own vehicle and gas. The driver is the only one getting paid travel time (start time from shop), the other employees get paid from job site start and end time. Law states when an employee comes to the shop and lifts a finger i.e. helps loads a truck for example, then we have to pay them from that point on. We are trying to be competative in our business, and it makes it difficult if we continuously have to pay a few of them start and end time to and from shop, especially if they are traveling an hour to the job site. What I'm seeing is that a company policy has to be in compliance with the law.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:25 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,977,590 times
Better read up of the FLSA - Fair Labor Standards Act.

I am by no means any expert in the construction trades.

My knowledge would surmise that work begins at a specific time - say 7:00 AM. If employees have to travel to a job site then they are paid from the 7:00 AM time that they reported to work - at your main place of businesss.

Someone else can chime in here. If you have a jobsite an hour away have them report directly at the jobsite at 7:00 AM. I don't think any travel time is required - but I don't have the knowledge about this.

I would assume that most builders construction types just have the employees show up at the job site with no travel pay from their place of residence.

What do your peers do?

Maybe others can chime in here for clarification.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:33 AM

1,281 posts, read 3,702,407 times
have them load the truck the night before for the next day when they all return to the shop. And yes if they help load the truck or do anything that constitutes doing part of the job, they must/should be paid (wouldn't you want to be paid if you typed an invoice "before hours"). However if they bring their own vehicle to work, then they don't get paid until they get to the job site or to the shop. But once they get to the shop, travel time to the site should be paid - and I believe that's part of the law. Works the same for traveling salespeople or even therapists, social workers, computer geeks etc... working at different sites.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:43 AM

93 posts, read 167,208 times
I have never even heard of a law that requires companies to pay for travel. I know most will pay for travel expenses when they require you to travel between sites and use your own car, for instance my work pays $0.50 per mile if I need to travel between sites to fix any issues or to attend meetings. However travel time to and from work are not reimbursed, and I don't feel they should be. If that were the case lots of employees would get jobs far away so they can collect that travel money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire