Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 02:09 PM

12 posts, read 23,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
even with the high prop taxes its around the 7th lowest overall tax burdon in the country.
Yea, per tax foundation.org it's #6 overall in tax burden up one from 2011.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Unless you can afford over $10,000 a year for property taxes, which pay for virtually no services (doesn't even include trash pickup), and increases 10% every 6 months, you can't afford to live in southern NH. Plus, the rest of the cost of living is astronomical too--generally highest in the nation for everything.
Zoinks!! That bad huh. Well certainly wouldn't wanna pay 10k per yr in prop tax alone, was thinking more along the lines of 6-8 thousand.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:22 PM

1,708 posts, read 2,911,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Unless you can afford over $10,000 a year for property taxes, which pay for virtually no services (doesn't even include trash pickup), and increases 10% every 6 months, you can't afford to live in southern NH. Plus, the rest of the cost of living is astronomical too--generally highest in the nation for everything.
Where did the OP say he/she is buying a 425-500k house?

But hey, I won't let the facts get in the way of your ranting.

Last edited by Boston_Burbs; 03-12-2012 at 02:35 PM..

Old 03-12-2012, 02:28 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,947,733 times
One of the highest-priced properties on the market in Londonderry today is a 3400 s/f home (4 BR/3 BA) assessed by the town at $505,000, listed at $444,900. 2011 tax bill was $10,294. If you have something more modest in mind, your tax bill will be significantly lower...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecole! View Post
Zoinks!! That bad huh. Well certainly wouldn't wanna pay 10k per yr in prop tax alone, was thinking more along the lines of 6-8 thousand.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:07 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecole! View Post
But what is concerning are mainly the property taxes and the winters. I have some experience w stints in Ny, Nj, n Pa but my understanding is that N Engl winters are no joke esp northern new England..
I've spent many winters in NJ/NY and Toronto. And prior to here, I was living in Adelaide, South Australia (no snow!). NH winters are definitely colder and more snow than the NYC Metro area. Of course there are years where NY gets more snow... so that sttement is 'in general'. Its better than what I had in Toronto which was colder and had more snow (it seems). Personally I;m not a fan of winter and find turning on all the lights makes me feel better, but thats me.

The one thing I hve to get used to are power outages during storm. I rarely lost power in NJ from storms. Here I can count on at least 1-2 power outages per year. 2 years ago, I lost power for 4 days. Not sure why or if its because of where I live.
'
Just buy
1. down coat
2. good quality water proof boots
3. Subaru
4. Mittens, hat and ear muffs

and you'll do fine

Last edited by minibrings; 03-12-2012 at 03:20 PM..

Old 03-12-2012, 03:13 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,447,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
One of the highest-priced properties on the market in Londonderry today is a 3400 s/f home (4 BR/3 BA) assessed by the town at $505,000, listed at $444,900. 2011 tax bill was $10,294. If you have something more modest in mind, your tax bill will be significantly lower...
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Londonderry is not exactly a high-end town in NH.... (nothing personal to anyone) MG and 4 of my former neighbors are all moving from Windham (as a realtor, you should know who they are) Sully bailed a while ago.... These houses are 3 to 4x that.
The taxes were obscene. When I moved there a decade or so ago, an empty lot was over $250K. I got out when the getting was good.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:14 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
Quote:
Is it difficult to get a property reassessed lower?

From someone coming from low property tax state thats high.

My 1 bedroom condo (900 sq ft) in Hackensack, NJ, my tax was 6,00. My monthly maintenance was 330 so Im pretty close to 10k per year.

An ex paid 20,000 a year in tax for a raised ranch (4 bedroom, 2 bath, 2 car garage) assessed at 550,000 in Nyack, NY (20 miles north of NYC).

so NH ain't bad (for some of us)!

Old 03-12-2012, 04:20 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,947,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Just buy
1. down coat
3. Subaru

and you'll do fine

Add to the list: generator. We find it makes those multi-day power outages sooo much easier to bear. It's still an irritation, of course, not being able to do laundry, use the oven, or other power-sucking devices, but nice to have heat, water, lights, laptop and a fridge full of food that doesn't spoil...

Old 03-12-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
I've spent many winters in NJ/NY and Toronto. And prior to here, I was living in Adelaide, South Australia (no snow!). NH winters are definitely colder and more snow than the NYC Metro area. Of course there are years where NY gets more snow... so that sttement is 'in general'. Its better than what I had in Toronto which was colder and had more snow (it seems). Personally I;m not a fan of winter and find turning on all the lights makes me feel better, but thats me.

The one thing I hve to get used to are power outages during storm. I rarely lost power in NJ from storms. Here I can count on at least 1-2 power outages per year. 2 years ago, I lost power for 4 days. Not sure why or if its because of where I live.
'
Just buy
1. down coat
3. Subaru

and you'll do fine
Great! Guess I'm a quarter of the way there, already drive a Subie and feel it would be more in its element in the Shire vs here I Ga.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:25 PM

Quote:

Add to the list: generator. We find it makes those multi-day power outages sooo much easier to bear. It's still an irritation, of course, not being able to do laundry, use the oven, or other power-sucking devices, but nice to have heat, water, lights, laptop and a fridge full of food that doesn't spoil...
Yes, my BIL in L-derry says a generator is a real nice thing to have. Unless u have a pellet stove or something similar how else would u be able to stay warm?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire