U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2007, 07:58 PM

7 posts, read 21,445 times

Advertisements

First time posting!
Plan to move to the North Country next Summer. Been down south for quite awhile, I use to live in the Salem years ago. I heard both good and bad about the Berlin area, however housing is a little more affordable there as compared to say Littleton and surrounding areas. Would like to make this move once. Is it worth the little extra to settle in Littleton area? Would I regret the move to Berlin? Also looking to teach at the elementary school-level so job availability factors in decision. Any words of wisdom?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2007, 08:33 PM

23,065 posts, read 40,129,995 times
I would read the other thread about Berlin that is near the top of the message board right now. Littleton, Lancaster, and Bethlehem are more economically vibrant than Berlin. Berlin is in the process of building a new state prison that will be completed in a few years. Littleton and Bethlehem are located in Grafton County and are near I-93. Lancaster is the county seat of Coos County and has one of the higher median incomes in the area. These towns are also located a little closer to the interstate highways and are not as isolated as Berlin. I would recommend visiting several of the towns in the north country that I listed before making a decision. What is your potential price range if I may ask? Real estate is lower than some areas of southern NH but can still be spendy.

Old 09-11-2007, 05:31 PM

1,775 posts, read 7,670,482 times
Depending what part of Berlin you live in depends on what kind of neighbors you have. East side is trash and even worst now than when i was a kid living in Berlin. I lived on the east side back then and it was nothing like it was 2 weeks ago when i went back to visit my family. A lot of 3 story apartment buildings that really are about to fall down yet people still live in them. I'd stay stick to the northern end of town or even try the rural areas in Milan/Dummer only a few minutes north of Berlin. Homes are far and few between and taxes are much lower in those areas. If your looking for work in Berlin, well you can join all the other people too. There are no jobs unless you can work at the hospital there in town or one of the 2 nursing homes. The elementary school is right there on the main drag along the river. I went there as a child. It's call Brown School. You might be able to look it up online. There was a job listing for the school district i found just a few weeks ago. Lancaster is a nice little town. It's only 35 minutes from Berlin. My sister drives out there for work at the hospital because they pay more than Berlin hospital does. Just keep in mind if you live in Berlin and you live close to a school, the taxes are much higher. My sister pays $4000 on a $150,000 home a year and she lives 2 miles away from the elementary.

Old 09-11-2007, 06:48 PM

Default Price range

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
I would read the other thread about Berlin that is near the top of the message board right now. Littleton, Lancaster, and Bethlehem are more economically vibrant than Berlin. Berlin is in the process of building a new state prison that will be completed in a few years. Littleton and Bethlehem are located in Grafton County and are near I-93. Lancaster is the county seat of Coos County and has one of the higher median incomes in the area. These towns are also located a little closer to the interstate highways and are not as isolated as Berlin. I would recommend visiting several of the towns in the north country that I listed before making a decision. What is your potential price range if I may ask? Real estate is lower than some areas of southern NH but can still be spendy.
Looking at 80,000 to 150,000, close to 150,000 if taxes are reasonable!

Old 09-11-2007, 09:25 PM

23,065 posts, read 40,129,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4North View Post
Looking at 80,000 to 150,000, close to 150,000 if taxes are reasonable!
I believe that another poster mentioned that taxes are quite high in the city limits of Berlin within a close proximity to the school. Property taxes can be quite expensive and could be over $3000 in the city limits. Lower property taxes would be found in Milan north of Berlin. Bethlehem might have more affordable real estate compared with Littleton or Lancaster, but you might not get that much house based on your price range. My best recommendation would be visiting Berlin, Milan, and Bethlehem and see what properties are available. (Bethlehem is about an hour drive from Berlin if you are interested in that town) Another helpful idea would be looking at online current listings of properties for sale in the area. You can even go to the real estate section of yahoo.com to see what is available.

Old 09-11-2007, 10:33 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,312,503 times
Going by your price range I would go with Lancaster. Berlin is a 30 min drive as well as Littleton. Berlin schools are not the greatest. very run down. If you go with Lancaster it gives you St Johnsbury VT 30 to 40 min Littleton at 30 min and burling at 30 min. More work opportunity and more access to things better than Berlin. Housing and taxes are better here too. ( yes I live in Lancaster) Check out Northern New England Real Estate Network - Official Website of the Northern New England MLS for listings in all the towns visit them all and decide for yourself.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:06 PM

Thanks, Lancaster has also been a serious thought as well, just hope there are enough elementary schools in the surrounding area to seek employment with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire