Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 11:30 AM

8 posts, read 9,197 times

Advertisements

I am looking into moving from central CT to southern NH and was looking for some suggestions on what towns to look at. I would be working from home so I would need to be able to get internet to house. I would like to by house with a couple acres. I do not want to go any farther west than Brookline. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 02:35 PM

26,380 posts, read 46,277,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by race735 View Post
I am looking into moving from central CT to southern NH and was looking for some suggestions on what towns to look at. I would be working from home so I would need to be able to get internet to house. I would like to by house with a couple acres. I do not want to go any farther west than Brookline. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks
How about Bow or Dunbarton? Nice areas that are close to either Concord or Manchester. I will warn you to expect very high property taxes, though.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:57 AM

93 posts, read 166,667 times
I lived in Dunbarton until I was 21, now I live in Goffstown. If you like being secluded and don't have any plans to do anything within town (not many events go on in Dunbarton), then it's the town for you. The good news is you're only 15 minutes from Concord and 30 from Manchester. Keep in mind there is no cable TV or internet in Dunbarton, only satellite and DSL.

Goffstown is a nice area as well, 30 minutes from Concord and 20 from Manchester (or less depending on where you are), much bigger downtown area with more events in the warmer months, shops downtown, etc. Unless you are looking to live in the far southern area of NH such as Salem or Nashua.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:06 AM

Thanks for the info on the DSL. I would need something a little quicker.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:24 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,468,230 times
I had DSL in Nashua and it was faster then comcast cable.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:33 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,901,678 times
race735, other than fast internet, what sort of things do you need to be nearby? You're looking for an acre or two, so it sounds like you may prefer a rural, quiet area. Do you need easy access to groceries? Are you at all concerned with schools? We can suggest towns that would fit your needs once we know a little more.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:11 AM

Thank you for the questions. I am not to worried about how far I need to drive for groceries or other things we may need. I do have a daughter who is 2 so yes I am concerned about schools. Other thing is zoning. In the town I live in now it was hard just to get permit to put up a fence.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:46 AM

93 posts, read 166,667 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info on the DSL. I would need something a little quicker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
I had DSL in Nashua and it was faster then comcast cable.
The DSL in Dunbarton is about $50 a month I believe (at least it was when I left), and the speeds are about 2Mbps down and 512Kbps up. Goffstown does have Cable though, I have Comcast's basic plan which is 15Mbps up and 3Mbps down for $60/mo.

Quote:
Thank you for the questions. I am not to worried about how far I need to drive for groceries or other things we may need. I do have a daughter who is 2 so yes I am concerned about schools. Other thing is zoning. In the town I live in now it was hard just to get permit to put up a fence.
Generally speaking I would assume you wouldn't have that issue in Dunbarton, or most rural towns since houses are spread out pretty far for the most part. Now if you are in a development that may be a different story.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:25 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,482,814 times
Lets see, I grew up in CT, have lived in Goffstown and now live in Bow. Goffstown is great, although its kind of inconvenient to drive though if you live near the village like I did. Dunbarton is definitely more rural, but even move inconvenient to drive through, plus they don't have cable internet. Bow is nice, good schools but not much for amenities, but Manchester and concord are close. high property taxes.

sounds like you need good schools, don't care too much about being close to things, but need fast internet and want to be east of brookline.

That descriptions leaves us to TONS of towns that would be fitting for you, I think you need to provide us with more info before we can really nail down locations for you.

Old 03-17-2012, 05:02 AM

13 posts, read 21,179 times
We have DSL with TDS Telecom and I know they offer fast DSL in other areas, may want to speak to the phone company in the areas you are looking to confirm what internet speed you can get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire