Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 09:34 PM

4 posts, read 5,895 times

Advertisements

What I can't understand is why housing prices are the way they are. MA, RI, NY...I can maybe understand, its supply and demand. In NH land is abundant, cities are small but still demand prices higher than MA.

One thing that would benefit the state, which is running a deficit, is to lower property taxes and either collect a state tax or better yet a sales tax. Why should property owners be the ones the state relies upon for income. If everyone was taxed, property taxes could be cut in more than half, creating more affordable housing and rent. Better yet, a sales tax....cheaper than surrounding states so as not to discourage spending.

I live in the south and am finally moving back home to the northeast. You guys would not believe how many northerners live down here and the increase in quality of life one gets. If it wasnt for family, I'm sorry to think I would never move back home. I'm well off down here and am hating the fact I will be lower middle class up there.

Here is a laugh....Talk to a realtor the other day and asked why prices were so high. She said they were not if you'd look at Southern Calif! You know, the place that offers 70 degrees years round, 360 days of sunshine and has no housing available. Leave it to realtors to convince us its a good deal. Bet theyre still collecting 6% up there on 300K homes for spending little to advertise. There is something wrong when a Realtor license is all it takes to become one of the highest payed individuals in the communities. Why go to college....

Last edited by DeltaCharlie; 03-26-2012 at 09:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 09:52 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,847,541 times
Theres to much demand and not enough supply which is a huge problem here in the Northeastern US. Weather your living in Boston or a small Suburb of Manchester prices will be high due to ,demand outstripping supply... This affects both the Apartment market and the Housing market.....its mostly a Northeastern issue. Places like the South or West have kept up the pace so prices there are affordable. The situation isn't getting any better , at least not for a decade or 2. To see a drop in Apartment prices , you would have to create at least 80,000 New Units within 5 years priced between 1000-1500$. The Suburban market for regular housing is different it seems to go up and down...I don't know about NH all that much...so i couldn't comment. I know New Hampshire residents appear to use there land more wisely then MA , but that's typical of New England which is mostly dense old suburbia. Its not like Long Island or parts of NJ which are sprawly.... The Denser suburbs of most of New England result in lower Property taxes and less of a strain on Govt....

Old 03-27-2012, 04:12 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,112 times
We dont like income taxes or sales taxes. You can have your cheap housing, Ill take my beautiful ride to work and almost nonexistant crime rate.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:14 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Delta Charlie - There are lots of places in my overpriced town for sale under 300k. Even more are available in the boonies. Read the "move to NH thread" for more discussion.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:49 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,034,225 times
why? because we like it the way it is. and if you don't like it, then feel free not to move to NH. isn't it wonderful there are other places to live. Our property taxes are high, but we know where they go to - in MD our taxes are just as high and our mayor and Board just say 'trust us' and take it all for whatever they want (and not necessarily where it's supposed to go).

Contrary to popular belief, NH does not get all its revenue from property taxes. There are plenty of other fees as well -although not as many as other states. And, btw, while NH doesn't have an income tax if you work for someone else... if you own your own business (as a great many folk do!), there is an ... 8%?.. business tax!

and before you go bashing realtors... you try living on it for a while. It's not as easy as people think!

For all the people you can point to moving south, there are just as many people moving up!
So stop whining. We are how we are and we like it that way.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:37 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,327,170 times
Sorry an income tax or state tax will not benefit the state and property taxes will not go down. When new taxes are introduced, all it does is lead to more spending and to leaches(politicians) on both sides of the aisle "needing" more money.

Just look at NJ-the sales tax back in the early 70's was supposed to be temporary and reduce property taxes. They have an income tax, sales tax and high property taxes. If we implement an income or sales tax, property taxes will not go down. It does not happen.

As Wanna said, there are plenty of other fees, taxes, etc. in NH-car registration, licenses/fees for anyone that operates a business and believe me as a small business owner we pay a lot. We have a rooms and meal tax. We have more than enough taxes in NH-we do not need a new one. We have a spending problem not a revenue porblem. HHS is more than half the state budget. In 2002, there were 7 workers for every 1 on public assistance. Now 10 years later, we have only 4 workers for every 1 on public assistance.

Things are far from perfect in NH, but in 2012 it is the best you can get. As Wanna said, people are moving here, we are the fastest growing New England state so we must be doing something right.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaCharlie View Post
Here is a laugh....Talk to a realtor the other day and asked why prices were so high. She said they were not if you'd look at Southern Calif! You know, the place that offers 70 degrees years round, 360 days of sunshine and has no housing available. Leave it to realtors to convince us its a good deal. Bet theyre still collecting 6% up there on 300K homes for spending little to advertise. There is something wrong when a Realtor license is all it takes to become one of the highest payed individuals in the communities. Why go to college....

Well there is your solution. You make it sound so easy to become a high-payed realtor. Somehow I imagine it differently like tons of paperwork and government regulation, $$ out of your own pocket for gas, licenses, fees etc. Not to mention dealing with a lot of annoying people who think they should get a house for a lot less than it is actually worth or who think their dump should sell for 500,000. Can a realtor make a lot of $$? Of course but I am sure it takes a lot of hard work. Sure during the up markets they make a lot but they have to deal with the downturns too. I am not a realtor not would I ever want to be one even with the possibility of all that $$.

If it is that easy, get your license and you can be making the big bucks in no time and then you can afford the high property taxes here in NH.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:28 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
Things are far from perfect in NH, but in 2012 it is the best you can get. As Wanna said, people are moving here, we are the fastest growing New England state so we must be doing something right.
NH over the past several years has been one of the slowest growing states with an increase in out-migration. Much of the growth during 2000-2010 was in the earlier part of the decade due to the housing boom and bubble period of 2002-2006.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
NH over the past several years has been one of the slowest growing states with an increase in out-migration. Much of the growth during 2000-2010 was in the earlier part of the decade due to the housing boom and bubble period of 2002-2006.
Still more desirable than other NE states, however.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:43 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
Still more desirable than other NE states, however.
That goes without saying
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire