Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 05:26 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,138,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebig0 View Post
Not to hijack but where are you getting pellets for $150 / ton and what brand?
excuse me - you're correct - more like $250 a ton/ still a great savings.

I was purchasing from a lumber shop and they sell New England pellets. I consider them the best that I've ever used and don't mind paying the price.

I was suckered into buying less expensive pellets at the big box stores

and it's true, you get what you pay for - they may be more than $50 less per ton, but they don't burn as hot or efficiently and they leave a lot of ash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 07:22 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,448,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
excuse me - you're correct - more like $250 a ton/ still a great savings.

I was purchasing from a lumber shop and they sell New England pellets. I consider them the best that I've ever used and don't mind paying the price.

I was suckered into buying less expensive pellets at the big box stores

and it's true, you get what you pay for - they may be more than $50 less per ton, but they don't burn as hot or efficiently and they leave a lot of ash.
Cord wood still has you smoked (no pun intended) by close to a factor of two. But, to be fair, it is a lot more work.

Try this: Cost of Heating - Worksheet

Really doesn't matter to me anymore... Being in an equatorial country, there is no need for heat (or much of it)

Old 05-04-2012, 08:08 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,852,079 times
Electic heat was common in new houses a few decades ago when the Seabrook nuclear power plant was going to provide lots of low cost electricity. Due to environmental activists, Seabrook II was never finished and electricity rates are high in NH compared to MA where I moved from...
When we built our house, we went with propane. 500 gallon tank buried in the back yard. We have propane for heat, how water, stove, and dryer.
We had oil before and propane seems cleaner and simpler.
Pellet stoves are a great idea.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:55 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,911,951 times
Anyone have experience with pellet furnaces?

There is a pellet manufacturer in Jaffery that will deliver them bulk to your door and into a hopper in your basement, kind of like oil.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:15 AM

221 posts, read 484,144 times
Our home is older so we ended up switching to pellet stoves. We run the Englander pellet stoves and got five tons of "Greene Team" that burns very hot and minimal ash. I wouldn't bother with other brands at this point. The one from Walmart "Pennington" was okay but it doesn't burn as hot like the Greene Team. It comes from PA and Lowe's carry them. $199 per ton and using the 10% coupon, we basically got free delivery. So if you have a way to transport them, you can get them for way less By the way this is to keep a split 2,500 sq/ft home. Holds about little over a bag of 40-lb pellets.

Oil furnace is just too expensive these days. I don't know how people afford them!

Old 05-04-2012, 08:42 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,036,022 times
we're considering putting in a pellet stove in our garage and venting to it's upstairs (which would be storage and computer workshop). roughly how much is a pellet stove costing to buy these days?? The garage is a commercial-sized garage: you can pull 4 cars into it and a dump truck can drive in. the upstairs is the same foot-print, but with the pitch of the roof going up 10'. I guess it doesn't have to be a terribly big stove.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaComeHome View Post
we're considering putting in a pellet stove in our garage and venting to it's upstairs (which would be storage and computer workshop). roughly how much is a pellet stove costing to buy these days?? The garage is a commercial-sized garage: you can pull 4 cars into it and a dump truck can drive in. the upstairs is the same foot-print, but with the pitch of the roof going up 10'. I guess it doesn't have to be a terribly big stove.
If you live above the garage I think it'll be perfect. Anywhere between $1,500-$2,500 depending on the size. If the house is well insulated you can obviously heat the house more efficiently. The key is definitely getting the right pellets. We've tried at least six or so brands and been very happy with Greene Team. New pellet stove + four-five tons of pellets will pretty much pay for itself first year comparing today's oil price.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:18 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,036,022 times
no, we don't live above the garage - we live in the house. the garage is disconnected from the house. the upstairs would be storage and computer workshop. the garage is actually insulated and eventually the upstairs will be also (at the moment it isn't finished). I wish we could use a pellet stove for the house, but there just is no place for it or room for venting. Luckily we have an awesome Buderus furnace for it.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:21 PM

We just cut through the wall with 3" piping that goes out and up six feet above the roof. If it's only few spaces I don't think you'll need a giant pellet stove.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:12 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,138,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
Cord wood still has you smoked (no pun intended) by close to a factor of two. But, to be fair, it is a lot more work.

Try this: Cost of Heating - Worksheet

Really doesn't matter to me anymore... Being in an equatorial country, there is no need for heat (or much of it)

yes - but cord wood is filthy and pollutes horribly

anyone with asthma can't breathe - my neighbor burns a wood stove and the smoke hangs around the entire neighborhood

my pellet stove barely smokes at all - the heat is great, and the pellets are clean
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire