Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2013, 06:11 PM

73 posts, read 215,039 times

Advertisements

I'm a 24 year old male, single, currently living in Quincy, MA. I grew up in rural Connecticut and moved to Quincy last year for work in Boston. Having been living in MA for the past year, I know that it's not a good fit for me. I don't like the high taxes and expensive cost of living in the Boston area, the bureaucracy and general corruption/incompetence of state and local government, and the generally rude and snobby attitude of many residents.

That said, I've narrowed down my search to Nashua and Manchester, mainly because both are within easy access of highways to Boston for work. I will hopefully be heading up there this coming weekend to drive and walk around both cities and look at what I like and dislike about each before I make a decision as to which city I wish to reside in. Are there any recommendations as far as local sights, venues, restaurants, or other places of interest in each city that I should visit in order to get a well-rounded feel for each?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 05:28 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,397,939 times
Nashua sucks!

End of story!

Old 02-13-2013, 09:31 PM

123 posts, read 247,594 times
You're looking at Nashua and Manchester......

Sorry to hear that.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:08 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,849,513 times
For commuting, Nashua is a lot closer to MA. Actually, the Salem area is the closest to downtown Boston. In nashua, park on or near Main st. and walk around. Have lunch at Martha's Exchange. Check out some of the local shops....

Same for Elm st in Manchester. Manchester feels bigger and seems to be more stretched out north/south along the river.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:09 PM

93 posts, read 167,215 times
Being 24 myself and living in Goffstown (town to the west of Manchester), I prefer Manchester, overall I find it to be a better city than Nashua, i've found it to be cleaner, friendlier people (remember we're comparing Manchester and Nashua here, haha), while also being closer to the mountains and seacoast area. There are many bars and restaurants, as well as the Verizon Wireless arena where the Monarch's play, the Fisher Cat's stadium, and much more.

Commuting sucks though. I don't work in Boston but for a few months I travelled to Boston from Goffstown 1-2 times per week and most of the time the drive was torture with random traffic jams, certain roads being closed for some reason, and during Red Sox season.

Old 02-18-2013, 02:31 PM

2,631 posts, read 4,047,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan's Dad View Post
Nashua sucks!

End of story!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Martia View Post
You're looking at Nashua and Manchester......

Sorry to hear that.
That these posters don't offer any information tells you how much you should value their opinion.

I have lived in Nashua and have worked in Manchester. Here are some pros and cons of each.

Manchester rent is generally cheaper. It has a direct commute to Boston via I-93, although distance wise, it's further than Nashua. For singles and younger people, I would agree Manchester is better as it has a more lively downtown. It's also planned better (more North/South roads) to get from one end of the city to the other.

Nashua is closer distance wise, but doesn't have a direct commute to Boston (you have to travel on three different highways). I can tell you from personal experience, traveling from Rte.3 to 128/I-95 can be a pain; though 93 in general is no picnic, either. Nashua has its own downtown, but is decidedly for an older crowd. Nashua is more family oriented, as most neighborhoods revolve around single family homes as opposed to an abundance of triple-deckers or the multifamily dwellings Manchester seems to have.

All in all, it's a matter of what you're looking for: cheaper housing with a more direct, but longer commute (Manchester) or more expensive housing with a less direct but shorter commute (Nashua).

Old 02-21-2013, 09:45 PM

41 posts, read 81,867 times
Manchester is better. It is more lively, has more bars, entertainment, and nightlife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire