Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 07:05 AM

193 posts, read 534,066 times

Advertisements

Portsmouth is a fantastic city, as you've described. It has a night life, but you wouldn't have to go far for more variety in any case.

I lived in Burlington before they raised the drinking age, and it was a party town with a lot of bars and a vibrant night life. Now with the 21 drinking age, it has mellowed somewhat but it's still a college town with a lot of young people.

All things considered, Burlington is nice but Portsmouth is far more desirable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 11:30 AM

40 posts, read 114,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicadwr View Post
So I am considering moving to Portsmouth NH. It looks like a beautiful area, right on the ocean and all. It has things I'm looking for including: a hospital (I'm an RN and need to have somewhere to work); its beautiful (already said that ); it has a lot of downtown charm (very walkable!); its not in or anywhere near Utah; its not a big city; it has tons of outdoor stuff to do; and it has all four seasons with lots of snow! So my biggest concern is how fun is it to live there? The most important thing when picking somewhere to move is probably the night life. Being 23 and living in a tiny crap hole town in Utah has REALLY deprived me of enjoying my 20's. I want to move somewhere that it will be easy to make friends my own age and has a really fun nightlife. I do NOT want to move to a big city and I am over the whole hot desert thing (please do not suggest Texas, I know it is THE place for the 20-somethings but I just don't want to live there) I have also considered Portland Maine but the job market for RN's there doesn't seem all that open. I've also considered Burlington VT and suggestions about there are welcome! Thanks!
Both are great great great. Ranked #2 and #3 for best quality of life states in 2011. I am from Portsmouth and lived around Burlington for 7 years. Close by Montreal is amazing & feels like Europe. Boston is a quick drive from Ports. My husband and I are relocating to one of the two areas soon as we miss it too much. We are going to scout out jobs& rentals before moving. I think Portsmouth might have better jobs in the medical field right now, I was reviewing some forums and it seems VT has taken a hit in that area. Good luck!

Old 05-08-2012, 09:39 AM

221 posts, read 484,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
There is NO whole foods in Portsmouth.
Wish there was one!

Portsmouth isnt that large population wise, but Boston and Portland make good day trips. Im lucky i can park at Harvard so i go to Cambridge a lot when i need a city fix.
Trader Joe's is coming to Newington soon if you haven't heard

Portsmouth has to be one of the best big city in New Hampshire. Love the place.

Old 05-10-2012, 04:19 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,823,340 times
If the choice is between Burlington and Portsmouth, I'd say Portsmouth, hands down. The city has so much more going for it: the ocean, close to Boston, and NH is a far less govt regulated state than VT. Also, seacoast NH gets about 40 more sunny days a year than anywhere in upstate NY or VT, if that's important to you.

Old 05-13-2012, 03:47 PM

4 posts, read 10,553 times
You should move somewhere in Portsmouth because it's on the border to the state of Maine. A lot of beaches are located there, and fireworks on July 4th are just beautiful. A few years ago, I went with my family to see The Sound of Music the play, and it was wonderful. It was near the 2 bridges, the one that brings the road up (Which has been torn down) and the one that is big enough not to move.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:31 AM

73 posts, read 118,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoebePaddy View Post
I actually really like Portsmouth, NH. It's a great little city, beautiful in the summer and an escape from the summer humidity & heat. Its got the charm of the maritime provinces, yet the amenities of being in the US. There's a huge, gorgeous Whole Foods there ... which does give you an indication of the locals. (seriously, Whole Foods here rivals the ones in OC).
Yeah, there is no Whole Foods anywhere in the state of NH (yet...I hear one may be coming to Nashua soon).
Maybe you are thinking of Philbrick's Fresh Market?

Old 05-21-2012, 07:26 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
If you can afford it Portsmouth is the choice NH city.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:51 AM

2 posts, read 4,315 times
You do have to get used to the East Coast attitude. New Hampshire can be quite stuffy and very exclusive in a "local townie" kind of way. In New England what impresses the right people is volunteer work. If you move to a new city in New England and do the right kind of volunteer work with an open heart you will "be" the right people and be noticed by the right people. Being in your 20s you will be looking for a mate. You can meet someone in a bar or and established family can notice you and pull you in, it's up to you but if you want to be successful on the East Coast coast you need to remember there is a caste system that is well-defined and very old not unlike the exclusivity of the Mormon church you're so familiar with Utah. If you want to become a part of society or if you just want to integrate into the upper-middle-class you have to play by their rules. I grew up in Connecticut and spent summers in Maine and New Hampshire. I went to school in New Hampshire so I know. They don't call it New England for nothing. Best of luck.

All that said I moved to San Diego California. I find this town to be far more interesting than anything on the East Coast including New York City.

However your desire for seasons might be well met in Seattle, Or Portland Oregon. They are great cities. Smaller towns north of San Francisco are also amazing like Sevastopol California, Santa Rosa and the wine country. Martinez California east of San Francisco is also an amazing little city.

Do not discount the West Coast. It appeals to young people far more then the old and cold and settled in its ways east coast. Mind you, this is simply my opinion. I find the East Coast far too competitive and far too cold emotionally for anyone who was raised in Utah or in the west. However it is possible you will fall in with the right group and do extremely well. Hence the first paragraph.

Best of luck to you sincerely. Billzimm

Last edited by BillZimm; 08-11-2014 at 12:01 PM.. Reason: Vital information

Old 08-11-2014, 03:12 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,382,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillZimm View Post
You do have to get used to the East Coast attitude. New Hampshire can be quite stuffy and very exclusive in a "local townie" kind of way. In New England what impresses the right people is volunteer work. If you move to a new city in New England and do the right kind of volunteer work with an open heart you will "be" the right people and be noticed by the right people. Being in your 20s you will be looking for a mate. You can meet someone in a bar or and established family can notice you and pull you in, it's up to you but if you want to be successful on the East Coast coast you need to remember there is a caste system that is well-defined and very old not unlike the exclusivity of the Mormon church you're so familiar with Utah. If you want to become a part of society or if you just want to integrate into the upper-middle-class you have to play by their rules. I grew up in Connecticut and spent summers in Maine and New Hampshire. I went to school in New Hampshire so I know. They don't call it New England for nothing. Best of luck.
Caste system? I call BS. Aint no different than anywhere else.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:05 PM

193 posts, read 534,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillZimm View Post
You do have to get used to the East Coast attitude. ...
It is BillZimm's opinion, as he has stated, but it's a description I have a hard time applying to any part of NH I'm familiar with. The idea that there are "right" people with whom to associate would be nauseating if true, but I'm guessing he experienced some particular incidents or feelings of exclusion and came to that conclusion. Such exclusive acquaintances would have to be desirable, to begin with, to rankle such discontent, and that's hard to imagine unless things involve (a) lots of money, and/or (b) a pretty girl. That seems the sort of imbalance and/or disappointment one could find anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire