Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 07:42 PM

10 posts, read 76,395 times

Advertisements

Thank you for the info Squamygirl. How bad are the winters in Littleton and how much snow usually? Being near the Connecticut River, is there ever a problem with flooding? Can anyone tell me about the schools in Littleton and how far the nearest college would be? Thanks for the help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2007, 07:55 PM

26,485 posts, read 46,825,990 times
Littleton has fairly long winters, and is in the "fog belt" of northern New England because it is close to a river valley. Snowfall would average around 60-80 inche during the winter. The temperatures usually are cold between November through March, but the winds are not that strong overall because the town is at a fairly low elevation compared with the surrounding mountains. The highest snowfall amounts are found in the higher elevations of the White Mountains, but very few people live up in the higher elevated areas. The big adjustment that you will likely have to make is dealing with the MUCH shorter daylight hours in the winter. The sunset in northern NH is usually around 4:30 or earlier between November all the way into January.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:14 PM

Do you know if there is a problem with flooding being close to a river? Also, do you know if there would be a higher cost of living in the North Conway area being it is a tourist area? Questions, questions....it is so nice to be able to ask questions to people who live there instead of just looking at websites and reading. Thanks for the help!!

Old 09-19-2007, 08:19 PM

Yes, North Conway would likely have a higher cost of living because it is a "desirable" area, and many wealthier people from the East Coast have bought properties in that area.
Littleton would generally have lower property values because it is not a "tourist trap" town compared with North Conway.
I believe that another poster windchimes said that Littleton does not have many problems with flooding. I would assume their is pretty good flood control in the area, but I am not an expert. You could also look into Bethlehem, which is about 20 minutes away from Littleton, and is closer to the White Mountains. They get more snow out that way.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:26 PM

Thanks for the info...I think I read in another thread that Bethlehem has higher tax rates which would turn into higher rent also. Does Bethlehem have the same stores and such as Littleton?

Old 09-19-2007, 10:15 PM

No, Littleton is where most of the stores and the bigger box stores are. I do not think that the real estate prices in Bethlehem are much higher then Littleton, but the property taxes might be higher in Bethlehem. Littleton has more stores and services overall compared with Bethlehem.

Old 10-26-2007, 04:27 AM

1 posts, read 5,935 times
Hi,
I (with my wife) am in the process of researching the possibility of leaving South Africa for the USA. Briefly, SA is headed in the same direction as Zimbabwe. An economy being destroyed through bad management and crime at worst ever levels, especially the violent categories. Interest rates are at 14% with another increase expected by December, this from 10.5% same time 2006. Fuel prices at +/- US$ 5.38/gal., about US$ 4.00 last year, and another on the cards for November. Personal tax is at 35% at our income level, and Company tax at 40%! Standards of Education are virtually non-existent and disappearing fast. There is very little left here to be proud of.
We are particularly interested in New Hampshire as a destination, and it appears that "North of Concord" is the area of preference; we like the sound of the Ashland area from a living viewpoint, and Hanover from a business one. We intend purchasing a business in the Retail sector (Convenience Store type), and will therefore be self-employed at the same time as providing employment opportunities for several people.
Any advice/info on our preferences regarding acceptance of 'outsiders', daily commuting distances, housing etc. would be greatly appreciated.
tonyP

Old 10-28-2007, 11:11 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,161,122 times
Littleton has very little summer....it starts in July and ends in August....

Lisbon is not a pretty town...it's an old factory town and looks it.

Ashland is nice, affordable and close to the interstate.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:56 AM

1 posts, read 5,233 times
How about Northfield,NH.How is it there for a family?

Old 08-22-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly4 View Post
How about Northfield,NH.How is it there for a family?
Northfield and Tilton share a lot of services. To be honest, I don't particularly care for Northfield that much. It has a good amount of rundown housing stock overall. However, if you go to the outskirts of town you can find nicer houses. If I was to choose a town in that area I would go with Sanbornton over Northfield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire