Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2012, 12:22 PM

304 posts, read 397,296 times

Advertisements

Hello Group,
My Wife & I are considering moving North, and "getting out of Dodge"...aka Southern Connecticut, where it's much too busy & populated.
My Wife is a retired Office Manager/Accountant, and collects SS Disability, and is 65.
I just turned 60 in April but am very active/healthy and wish to continue working.
We're looking for some place VERY Rural, even 'Wilderness-like'.
We like to garden, boat, fish, and I hike water/snow ski, ice skate.
* What are the differences between Life in NH and Maine?
What are items such as the following like:
Taxes , gasoline prices, housing prices (houses for rent, w/options to buy(?), Cable TV & Internet availability is important to us, so forth.
-How about Job availabilities(???) for me?
-I'm an ex. Office Mgr. ex. IT/Computers, semi-lumberjack w/25+years cuttin' wood & chainsaw enthusiast. I've worked with landscapers/contractors, clearing neighborhoods, and land for roads. I must have cut at least 1,000 trees so far, and I sell firewood through Fall & Winter
I received one very nice reply from a gentleman in Laconia, and we Love The Lake Winnipesaukee area, BUT I think that housing prices would be too high around there(?).
* Is there anyone from the Northern NH, Pittsburg Conway/Mt Washington area, on the Forum?
I'd really like some input from the Northern area!

Any replies would be greatly welcomed!

Thanks!

CTwoodnutt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 02:05 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTwoodnutt View Post
Hello Group,
My Wife & I are considering moving North, and "getting out of Dodge"...aka Southern Connecticut, where it's much too busy & populated.
My Wife is a retired Office Manager/Accountant, and collects SS Disability, and is 65.
I just turned 60 in April but am very active/healthy and wish to continue working.
We're looking for some place VERY Rural, even 'Wilderness-like'.
We like to garden, boat, fish, and I hike water/snow ski, ice skate.
* What are the differences between Life in NH and Maine?
What are items such as the following like:
Taxes , gasoline prices, housing prices (houses for rent, w/options to buy(?), Cable TV & Internet availability is important to us, so forth.
-How about Job availabilities(???) for me?
-I'm an ex. Office Mgr. ex. IT/Computers, semi-lumberjack w/25+years cuttin' wood & chainsaw enthusiast. I've worked with landscapers/contractors, clearing neighborhoods, and land for roads. I must have cut at least 1,000 trees so far, and I sell firewood through Fall & Winter
I received one very nice reply from a gentleman in Laconia, and we Love The Lake Winnipesaukee area, BUT I think that housing prices would be too high around there(?).
* Is there anyone from the Northern NH, Pittsburg Conway/Mt Washington area, on the Forum?
I'd really like some input from the Northern area!

Any replies would be greatly welcomed!

Thanks!

CTwoodnutt
If you are interested in the Lakes Region prices are MUCH lower than they were several years ago, particularly smaller sqft properties a bit further removed from the big lake. You didn't specify a particular price range or the exact area in the Lakes Region that you were interested in but I can recommend a few areas. If you desire low property taxes and lots of outdoor recreation I would look into: Tuftonboro, Moultonboro, Alton, Meredith, Bridgewater, Hebron, Groton, Ossipee, and Madison areas. Just stay away from the $$$ waterfront locales and prices are more reasonable. Job opportunities: lots of seasonal type of positions as it is a RRR (resort, retiree, recreation) area. Many are retired or self-employed in this area or they own a business. Cable Internet is pretty common in most of the towns with the exception of very remote areas far off roads. Heat costs: most use alternative sources like wood or pellets. Heating oil is expensive as is propane. No natural gas at all unless one is right in town. It's a nice region overall and never too far away from most amenities, hospital, or other services. There are so many things to do outdoors and conservation lands that you'll never run short of new places to explore in the area.

Old 05-06-2012, 02:38 PM

1 posts, read 6,023 times
Default Get Out of Dodge

Howdy,

At your age I suggest you consider an area with good healthcare facilities. Lancaster has a growing heathcare structure as does Conway. This is a remote area to be moving to in your 60's. However, that is your choice. I used to go deer hunting in the Rangeley Lakes area. I am familar with that area somewhat. The big difference between Maine and New Hampshire is taxes. New Hampshire has high property taxes and does not have a progressive tax structure. Maine has high taxes and a progressive tax structure. Tax structure for New Hampshire is governed by school aged children. If a family with six kids moves into town your taxes will go through the roof in some of these small towns. I personnaly would choose Coos County, N.H. over Maine any day. The problem with Maine and New Hampshire is that both have had alot of people from Taxachusetts move there and screw up the two states, just like the people form New York and CT did to Vermont. If you are like the people from Taxachusetts who move up to NH and all of a sudden want new schools, sidewalks, sewers, full time police and fire then best to say where you are!

Last edited by Guided Mistletoe; 05-06-2012 at 02:40 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-06-2012, 02:47 PM

223 posts, read 540,350 times
Maine is really at the end of the road. You don't pass through maine going to anyplace else. Most of Maine business and industry and activities are along the seacoast. The rest is truly rural.

NH is suburban in the south becoming more rural as you head north - with yuppie exceptions around Lake W and Dartmouth college.

Sounds like you might want to find a really rural corner of NH - Unlike in maine, that still puts you only an hour or so from 'modern' America (airports, freeways, malls, etc.)

Old 05-06-2012, 03:02 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauloman View Post
Maine is really at the end of the road. You don't pass through maine going to anyplace else. Most of Maine business and industry and activities are along the seacoast. The rest is truly rural.

NH is suburban in the south becoming more rural as you head north - with yuppie exceptions around Lake W and Dartmouth college.

Sounds like you might want to find a really rural corner of NH - Unlike in maine, that still puts you only an hour or so from 'modern' America (airports, freeways, malls, etc.)
You don't even have to go too far north in Maine to be fairly remote. Farmington would be an example.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:46 PM

123 posts, read 247,767 times
New Hampshire = teeth
Maine = no teeth

Old 05-07-2012, 05:19 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I have relatives that live in Landaff, NH. This is a big town with few people uphill (east) of Lisbon and 10 miles south of Littleton, NH. The place is beautiful and there are several properties available including old farm houses at decent prices. I suggest checking it out on this website.

It has both seclusion and decent access to stores, entertainment and medical facilities. My wife and I could retire there but the winters seem to end in June and start in September with spring, summer and fall in between.

We have visited parts of Maine and outside of the cities the place is pretty much unpopulated. The seacoast southwest of Acadia National park is classic “Downeast” summer vacation land. Deserted in winter, overcrowded in summer and always over priced. I was Street Viewing a couple of places way Downeast the other day. Eastport and Lubec are really at the end of the road. The settings are spectacular but the economies appear, as they did 20 years ago, almost dead.

I suggest you buy a DeLorme, or other brand, atlases of both states and then come on up and drive around. It is not that far unless you compare it to Connecticut. If you do take the time to visit PM me and we could meet for coffee.

Old 05-13-2012, 04:25 PM

223 posts, read 540,350 times
by my count, 7 more letters in New Hampshire.

But NH has more letters than CT (by one)... I grew up in Ct and it is harder to spell, even if shorter than NH -- and I can only spell Connecticut if I get a running start and don't get interrupted!

Maine is certainly the end of the road... You don't pass through Maine to get to anywhere else (except perhaps parts of Canada)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire