Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 06:40 PM

17 posts, read 38,209 times

Advertisements

Hello there, We are eagerly anticipating a move to Portsmouth early this fall. We were there for the last few days, and spent pleasant hours walking around. Despite all that, I couldn't figure out where people buy groceries. Could someone point out grocers large and small? I know there is a farmers' market, and I'd like to get local milk/eggs as well, but how about non-perishables? I noticed a Market Basket and Shaw's on the outskirts of town. Is there something I've missed? thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 06:59 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,662,922 times
Strathem and Exeter has Market Basket, Shaw's and Stop and Shop. Not that far.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:21 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,383,134 times
The closest to downtown is Hannafords at 800 Islington St.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:36 PM

73 posts, read 118,722 times
Being someone who has lived just outside of Portsmouth, I'm not so sure about the smaller grocers, except Lo's Seafood and Oriental Market on Woodbury Ave.
But for larger, more general grocery stores, here's a list:

Hannaford - Islington Street, just outside of the downtown area

Philbrick's Fresh Market - on Route 1/Lafayette Road - good place to get organic stuff and some of the more obscure grocery items, some local items too

Market Basket - on Route 1/Lafayette Road

Shaw's - Woodbury Ave. - on the same strip as Fox Run Mall and other "big box" stores

BJ's Wholesale Club - also on Woodbury Ave/mall strip - if interested in belonging to a wholesale club for bulk purchases. This BJ's also has a gas station, usually with less expensive prices (for members) than other gas stations nearby.

Trader Joe's will be coming to Newington this year, too

Old 05-21-2012, 06:07 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,947,733 times
Good for you, nicolemilman, for wanting to shop locally. The big 3 NH grocers are all nearby (Shaws, Hannaford, Market Basket). Philbrick's Fresh Market is a local favorite, and there is also McKinnon's Market on Route 1 (next to Water Country) for excellent meats, and some unexpectedly great prices. Do check their website and sale circular-they include recipes for the various meats on sale in any particular week.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:58 PM

17 posts, read 38,209 times
HI all, thanks for the information everybody. I'm surprised there isn't a Whole Foods in the area. While cost prohibitive to shop there for most everything, there are certain items I can only get there....

Old 05-22-2012, 06:29 AM

221 posts, read 484,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
Good for you, nicolemilman, for wanting to shop locally. The big 3 NH grocers are all nearby (Shaws, Hannaford, Market Basket). Philbrick's Fresh Market is a local favorite, and there is also McKinnon's Market on Route 1 (next to Water Country) for excellent meats, and some unexpectedly great prices. Do check their website and sale circular-they include recipes for the various meats on sale in any particular week.
Expensive like Philbrick's (they're probably more expensive) but have found better selection on natural meat and wide range of food here. We rarely buy at Shaw's or Hannaford. Too expensive for what they offer. Market Basket has been one of the best for overall cost on organic and gluten free selection; especially the new Market Basket in Epping which isn't too far from Portsmouth (IMO at least).

Old 05-22-2012, 09:20 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,947,733 times
We have all 3 (MB, Shaws, Hannaford) my town, less than a mile apart. This enables me to shop the sales, because each of the 3 has their strengths. I agree, Market Basket non-perishables, pasta, etc. you can't go beat the prices. And their unadvertised in-store specials are terrific (I'm probably there 3x a week). Negative for MB is their produce: usually the worst of the 3 stores. Also, weekly sales determine where I shop/what I purchase. For example, this week @ Shaws, strawberries are 2.99 for 2#s, while MB is 2.50/#. Adds up when you're buying multiple as I usually do. McMinnon's has fresh haddock (not previously frozen) for 4.99/pound. When it's on sale at MB for that price, it's previously frozen/mushy when cooked. Their ground sirloin is EXCELLENT, $2.99 (I pay the same amount per pound @ MB to have the cheapest roast ground). Oh and this weekend I'll be stocking up on marinated pork tips, $1.99/pound for kabobs. Can't go wrong with those prices Portsmouth, withthe addition of Philbricks, gives even more variety, and pretty soon some of the earliest crops will be in at the local farm stands

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhdriver View Post
Expensive like Philbrick's (they're probably more expensive) but have found better selection on natural meat and wide range of food here. We rarely buy at Shaw's or Hannaford. Too expensive for what they offer. Market Basket has been one of the best for overall cost on organic and gluten free selection; especially the new Market Basket in Epping which isn't too far from Portsmouth (IMO at least).

Old 05-22-2012, 09:20 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
Where do people go for the freshest seafood.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:49 PM

20 posts, read 75,186 times
Seaport Fish Market on Sagamore Rd. in Rye. And for lobsters, we always go to Sanders in Portsmouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire