Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 08:43 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,135,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
You should plead no contest as you were actually, although inadvertently, speeding. The lawyer is for the insurance dealing. PM me for a couple of names.

first of all - the accident took place on private property, not a public roadway, so the points on the license should be less.....if any

You should only need a lawyer IF there is any difference in the accounts of what happened, but it never hurts to have one (just in case). Some will take the case on retainer, but most will charge by the hour and 5 minutes is an hour.

The cop did you a favor by marking it down to 70mph, because the fines go up the faster you are and the amount over the speed limit. 78 in a 50 is excessive speeding.

Plead nolo, pay the fine, and pay attention from now on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 11:26 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,660,438 times
Quote:
So you wouldn't fight the ticket and he wouldn't have to show up in court on his day off
What makes you think it would be on his day off? Even if it was , he gets overtime for the appearance.

Either way the reduction reduces any possible fines. 25 mph or more over brings greater penilities in the state. He did if fact do you a favor. The fine for 20 or less over the posted limit is $100. 28 mph over is a minimum of $250 plus a mandatory court appearence.

The OP could always go and tell him no thanks, I don't want the break.

Last edited by rscalzo; 06-29-2012 at 12:51 PM..

Old 06-29-2012, 11:53 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
Could Hale & Dorr get you off the ticket?
Or the equivalent law firm in NH?
Possibly.
But would probably cost $5 - 10 grand.
An expensive lawyer can ask questions about the calibration of the radar/laser, etc. and about the training of the officer, etc. and on and on.
A regular lawyer just does not have this expertise.

I contested a speeding ticket in NH once a long time ago.
Court began at 9:00 AM and ended at noon.
Mine was the last case before noon recess.
EVERY case that came up the person lost. Every one. And some had some real good excuses and witnesses.
The judge, you see, for most if not all cases agrees with the law enforcement officer. No matter what.
And the officers do show up in NH.

I've learned over the decades to watch for the speed limit signs. There are many speed traps in NH. Speed Trap dot com lists the towns.
But even in the middle of nowhere in NH you can run across some badge person going to work or going home. In NH all will stop you just for a speeding ticket. Unless they are actually going someplace in a hurry and don't have the time.
In my small little village we have the locals, the state, and the sherriff all passing through and all will take the time for a speeding ticket.
And then there are the unmarked cars. Lerking.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:24 AM

369 posts, read 964,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhdriver View Post
Isn't MA six years for insurance history as far as any tickets are concerned?
Yes it is. I lived there for 19 years.

Coulda been worse, you were tagged going 23 over the posted limit. That's usually a mandatory court apperance and an expensive smackdown.

Man up, accept the responsibility for your actions, pay it and be done with it.

Speeders like you kill people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire