Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2012, 01:45 PM

10 posts, read 88,413 times

Advertisements

Hi friends! Could anyone give me some information about things to do in or around Acworth? I know there's Crescent Lake, but is it only accessible to the public via a boat launch? Are there any other public swimming/beachy areas close by? I know it's not a bustling metropolis (thankfully).

To Buck Naked, I know you provided a cheeky response to a similar question years ago. Don't worry, I DO appreciate good humor!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 01:03 PM

Does anyone have any feedback about Acworth and Crescent Lake? I've also heard there's a swimming hole near the S Acworth store, but is that considered private property now? Thanks

Old 07-12-2012, 02:58 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,135,934 times
Deep Hole in Acworth Gorge

Deep Hole - Acworth New Hampshire | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
some great pictures^

Ackworth swimming hole BORN TO BE WILD - YouTube

it's reportedly 35 feet deep and yes, I heard it is now private property. That's too bad, but not surprising. There were a slew of injuries every year.

You can access the Cold River in a variety of places - some public, some private. Public include Vilas Pool in Alstead (boating, swimming, fishing), Millot Green in Alstead village (boating, fishing), NH Fish & Game in Walpole (boat launch), Drewsville Gorge in Walpole, as well as a number of public access for fishing at bridge crossings in Acworth, Alstead, Langdon, and Walpole.

and if I made a cheeky comment, forgive me.... I'm old.

Last edited by buck naked; 07-12-2012 at 03:16 PM..

Old 07-16-2012, 12:33 PM

Thanks for all the great info! I was wondering if Vilas Pool was still even open - I drove by on a hot weekend day and didn't see anyone swimming.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:44 AM

1 posts, read 4,071 times
The deep hole isn't technically private property, though the owner of the nearby house claims it to be so. The river is public property up until the point where the water is highest during the year. this means that one can walk down to the river in a different location and get to the swimming hole that way. It's really beautiful and it's a shame someone is taking this away from the town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire