Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 06:17 AM

2,941 posts, read 5,182,436 times

Advertisements

Back in January, I travelled from Boston to Ontario thru parts of NH, thru the Manchester and Concord areas along the highways.

I was shocked and saddened to see so many of the roadway signs, in various shapes and sizes, marred with ugly (well, in my view) tagging!

Is this a new phenomenon up there? Has any of it been cleaned? Specifically, I noticed the sign for the Currier Museum defaced. Wow, if they can't even keep a tourist sign clean...!

I realize in cold weather, it's hard to clean and power wash graffiti. Believe me, I know, having researched this problem along highways in and around Boston...as well as in the Back Bay and other fine Boston neighborhoods.

I realize a city like Manchester, and most cities, will have some graffiti; it's a fact of life nowadays. And little can be done about stores and warehouses which refused to remove this garbage on the back of their structures, which just happen to face the motorists. It might as well be the "front" view!

Am I over-reacting? If I craved graffiti, I'd live in NYC, LA, Boston, Montreal...

Last edited by bostonguy1960; 06-16-2012 at 06:22 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 06:59 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,324,295 times
It is a disgrace and I have noticed more and more of it over the past several years. I know there are some places in Nashua and Manchester that have already been cleaned/painted over only to have new graffiti added.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:20 PM

12 posts, read 19,826 times
Get used to it...I am acquainted with a Hooksett police officer who took early retirement because the area was "turning into Boston"...and that was several years ago. Boston metro continues to grow, and it will assimilate NH...with all the according problems.

Old 06-19-2012, 03:41 PM

369 posts, read 964,277 times
On my last trip through the Manchester area I noticed tagging on the backs of signs over the highway.

I have a feeling this will be a self correcting issue once a few taggers slip and fall onto the road.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:06 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I suggest the cops find these guys and make them remove their "art" from the places they have defaced.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:05 PM

70 posts, read 166,031 times
I completely disagree with the defacement of public property (especially landmarks), but this made me smile. It was on the back of a movie theater in Portsmouth, NH.

I drive past Manchester on 93 quite a lot and I haven't really noticed any graffiti. Of course, I'm usually too busy looking at all the gorgeous trees to notice anything else

Old 06-21-2012, 04:03 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
It is a disgrace and I have noticed more and more of it over the past several years. I know there are some places in Nashua and Manchester that have already been cleaned/painted over only to have new graffiti added.

Live Free or Die !

Many metro areas in other states restrict the sale of spray paint. Adults only. All spray paiint behind glass and locked.

Pass a state law to restrict the sale of spray paint. Simple enough. But:

NH is the Live Free or Die state. NH folks do not like big government dictating behavior. Oh, the horror of big government passing a law restricting the sale of spray paint.

This is one answer. Not the entire solution. As kids will take Mom's/Dad's spray paint and do such. But restricting sale would help.

I can hear the anti-big government folks screaming now. Live Free or Die !

Old 06-21-2012, 11:18 AM

1,274 posts, read 2,381,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by east2westagain View Post
I completely disagree with the defacement of public property (especially landmarks), but this made me smile. It was on the back of a movie theater in Portsmouth, NH.

I drive past Manchester on 93 quite a lot and I haven't really noticed any graffiti. Of course, I'm usually too busy looking at all the gorgeous trees to notice anything else
But you agree with the defacement of private property (the movie theater)?

Old 06-21-2012, 11:34 AM

70 posts, read 166,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveusaf View Post
But you agree with the defacement of private property (the movie theater)?
Nope - just thought it was a nice message considering the fact that it was graffiti.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:40 AM

1,771 posts, read 5,064,634 times
I haven't really noticed anything noticeably excessive...but as someone mentioned above I'm usually focused on other scenery. Graffiti does anger me though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire