Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 01:37 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
I absolutely am in love with NH in the summer.. Beaches, mountains, seafood.
Im not a winter person personally somfor me i need lots of lights on at home in winter. I plan my vacations in winter anyway.
That is understandable regarding brigher lights as that helps many during lower sun angle winter daylight. The Northwest is much much worse in that regard because of higher latitude, onshore flow/clouds,and shorter winter daylight hours.
This past winter was the absolute worst because I couldn't enjoy my regular winter activities without snow, and couldn't travel to other places because they didn't have snow either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 08:30 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,207,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggs1001 View Post
I'd be wary of this line -- those property taxes will be pushed onto the renters, so rent will be higher on average than areas outside of New Hampshire.

I do like your comment about DD's -- I cant wait to get back to seeing DD's everywhere instead of Krispy Kremes!
just to clarify, i didn't say property taxes would have no effect on rent, just minimal. nh rents are still cheaper than anywhere in mass for the most part.

i used to love krispy kreme. they have awesome donuts. dunkins is good too.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
just to clarify, i didn't say property taxes would have no effect on rent, just minimal. nh rents are still cheaper than anywhere in mass for the most part.

i used to love krispy kreme. they have awesome donuts. dunkins is good too.
NH property taxes have basically become the equivalent of paying ever more rent to the town (particularly localized spending) at the rate it's going now.

Old 06-30-2012, 03:36 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
-people in nh are generally more intelligent than people in pa. they are also more likely to be wiseasses, so don't take the sarcasm seriously, that is how we make friends

i think that about covers it
LOL. Um, never saw any particular difference in intelligence levels in my time in NH.

At any rate, other than a little more snow and less PA Dutch influence, I wouldn't see a move from south-central PA to NH as a major shock. Living closer to the ocean and being proximate to the Lakes Region is definitely a plus. Housing and rents would likely be higher, as you are close to the Boston area.

Last edited by Duderino; 06-30-2012 at 03:47 PM..

Old 06-30-2012, 04:54 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,550,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
NH property taxes have basically become the equivalent of paying ever more rent to the town (particularly localized spending) at the rate it's going now.
The tax structure in NH always has, and probably always will be, a quasi-religion. I'm in SoCal now but have thought of returning home (amongst a few other places). I was shocked after crunching some numbers to learn that my overall financial situation would only improve a small amount moving back to NH. Of course, I was looking only at towns with good schools. I've lived in a number of different states with different tax structures. IMHO, property taxes are the most evil tax in existence. They remain the same (or higher) no matter what your income level is (e.g. retired) or how much you spend. BUT, I would no sooner advocate change than I would try to convince Germans not to drink beer during Oktoberfest. It really is a quasi religion up there. I think people would need to pay $50 per 1K of assessed value before even considering giving up the right to say "no sales tax, no income tax." And even then it would only be a passing thought lol.

It just intrigues me a bit. When I think of the "live free or die" mindset, I imagine a people who consider their home and property to be amongst the most untouchable of untouchables. For that reason the tax structure in NH almost seems backwards to me. I imagine people with that type of mindset preferring to pay income and sales tax, but zero property tax. I know I would. Like I said though, not a peep out of me if I return

Old 07-01-2012, 06:28 AM

14 posts, read 22,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
It just intrigues me a bit. When I think of the "live free or die" mindset, I imagine a people who consider their home and property to be amongst the most untouchable of untouchables. For that reason the tax structure in NH almost seems backwards to me. I imagine people with that type of mindset preferring to pay income and sales tax, but zero property tax. I know I would. Like I said though, not a peep out of me if I return
I couldn't possibly agree more. I wouldn't want all three. But I would definitely rather have the first two than the last one.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlarsontx View Post
I couldn't possibly agree more. I wouldn't want all three. But I would definitely rather have the first two than the last one.
My brother had to sell his home and relocate when he retired. Property taxes became too high on a limited income. Had to leave this place he called home. Sometimes it takes being away from something to get a fresh perspective. I grew up buying into the whole "no income tax, no sales tax" mantra. Now when I think about it, I imagine an old crusty person sitting in a chair proclaiming "yup, you go ahead and tax that place I call home. Tax the place I raised my children and have lived the past 40 years. You can tax me out of it, but you and I are gonna have real problems if you try to put a tax on a flashlight I buy at Wal-Mart."

Old 07-01-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
My brother had to sell his home and relocate when he retired. Property taxes became too high on a limited income. Had to leave this place he called home. Sometimes it takes being away from something to get a fresh perspective. I grew up buying into the whole "no income tax, no sales tax" mantra. Now when I think about it, I imagine an old crusty person sitting in a chair proclaiming "yup, you go ahead and tax that place I call home. Tax the place I raised my children and have lived the past 40 years. You can tax me out of it, but you and I are gonna have real problems if you try to put a tax on a flashlight I buy at Wal-Mart."
Are the retirees not moving to the Lakes Region anymore? Most towns there have more reasonable property taxes, particularly on modest houses.

Old 07-01-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Are the retirees not moving to the Lakes Region anymore? Most towns there have more reasonable property taxes, particularly on modest houses.
That's still relocation. It's still leaving a place you call home and have many memories of. Granted, it's better than leaving the state entirely though. I have a saying I've lived by most of my life. Whenever you are doing something nobody else is doing, or in a way that nobody else is, you must ask yourself if you are a genius or simply wrong. It's one of the two.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:10 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,904,476 times
Wifey and I just came back from a wonderful NH vacation.
We really loved the state.
The people were so friendly and courteous.
There's so many beautiful landscapes; The white mountains are just plain gorgeous.
The Winnipesaukee (sic?) lake is amazingly big and full of little islands to explore.
There's so much to see and do in NH, that I really wished I lived there permanently.

Wifey and I fantasize about moving there, but we also wonder if we could find jobs that would give us a confortable quality of life.
I think it would be hard.

So here we are. Stuck in the concrete jungle that is NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire