Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 11:30 AM

951 posts, read 1,654,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30apples View Post
......sounds like your rental neighbors may be selling something at the rental house........Maybe your neighbors are selling AVON or some kind of home cleaning supplies?
That's it!! They're selling Mary Kay at 1 on the morning!!! If they get a pink Caddy, then you'll know it's true!!

Wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2007, 02:37 AM

562 posts, read 659,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabrinaAne View Post
Your new neighbor snubs your offer and seems to want to have nothing to do with you. You try to make some more small talk, but it's no use; your presence is clearly unwelcome. You try to brush it off by telling yourself that maybe they are shy or uncomfortable with your frank offer to help out.
Sounds like you live in California.....

Texas isn't much different. Places such as these are where there are a lot of people looking to take advantage of you. As well, people become suspicious that you have alterior motives.

Texas I can speak for, and somewhat for California as I have lived there too. These states are full of crummy people. I can see Texas as being a lot more friendly maybe 40 years ago or more. Now with the influx of a lot of illegals, and other low class people all over the state, the situation has changed. New Hampshire BEWARE - this could happen to you, if you are not vigilant and guard your way of life. Keep out the crummy people.

Old 09-29-2007, 06:51 PM

61 posts, read 110,720 times
Bryfry, Valerie C...you are so sweet. Looking back over my post I sound like I was fishing for sympathy. I was having a bit of a down and blue day, though, so I guess it showed through. I like your idea Bryfry. Though I have not ever tried to take them anything again (too darn sheepish and yes, I hate rejection [I know, I know...some of you are probably thinking 'get over it'. Tried...can't...but I am much better than I used to be!]) I do still wave and try to make small talk when I run across them. I don't really care that they don't wish to get to know us. I just picked the example to highlight what a great deal of our neighbors are like. Very insular. I just hope we can find a neighborhood where all the kids play together without having to arrange 'playdates', I won't be fairly sure of a poor turn-out if I host a neighborhood BBQ, and I feel comfortable going over to a neighbor's house to ask about some plant in their garden without feeling like an unwanted pest. I think I was born 50 years too late! Oh well

Thank you for all your input! Your nice comments may have made me blush, but they really helped me out. Today DH and I closed our ceramics studio after only one year in business (we taught (mostly children) how to work with clay and throw on a potter's wheel). It was fun, but it was a dreadful amount of work due to the fact that we never had enough full time students to afford to hire adequate staff. We had to do it all (teach, clean, admin., kiln work, etc). Well, it's all over now. Though it royally sucks that we had to close (last few weeks we didn't even have a phone or internet 'cause we couldn't pay the bill anymore) I am very happy to get back to being a domestic goddess. My house has never been clean for more than a day for the past year-and-a-half and I have been too tired to cook anything much from scratch. I just hope we don't have to declare bankruptcy...that would suck beyond belief. It's all down to the leasing agency now, so please keep your fingers crossed for us (and if you're of a religious bent, we wouldn't mind a few prayers to St.Jude!).

Thanks again

Old 09-29-2007, 10:02 PM

108 posts, read 341,392 times
SabrinaAne, maybe your neighbors are not as bad as you think. No, really. Some people are more reserved than others, they may have problems in life and don't want to share. Maybe they don't want to be involved in the social life of the neiborhood if there is such. For many a good neighbor is the one you are not aware of. Of course, there is no excuse for bad manners. Just trying to offer a different perspective.

Good luck to you!

Old 09-30-2007, 05:47 PM

61 posts, read 110,720 times
Default Benefit of the doubt

LoveSnow...

Your point is a valid one and we do have neighbors who are just 'shy' and keep to themselves. Our neighbors directly across from us are just that way. However, they do wave when we happen to cross paths and are even willing to chat a bit if they happen to be out. But they are quiet and keep to themselves. I did not mean to imply that the family who have slighted our friendly advances are bad. But they are by no means quite and keep to themselves. As I mentioned in my posts, they are quite sociable with the three other families who live closest to them, so I cannot dismiss their unfriendly behavior with your kind excuse.

The point of my original post, however, was not to complain about one unfriendly neighbor. If it were I would have posted on a different board. I only used the example to highlight the more prevalent attiudes amongst the homeowners out here. I was hoping someone would be able to tell me if, by and large, NH residents tended to be more friendly and open.

Guess I need to be more to-the-point with my questions in the future.

Old 09-30-2007, 06:01 PM

450 posts, read 557,888 times
bigfry

you crack me up laughing sometimes with your posts mate, mary kay one in the morning buisness must be good

as for the calling if I see or hear something more concrete I'll be doing that

sabrina
your a nice person or come across as one and it's their loss but saying that maybe they just want to keep themselves to themselves either way you can bake me stuff every day and you'll be getting a big smile along with a hello everyday.
Plus the kids will come over and do the grass for you instead of wining they want to watch tv

Old 09-30-2007, 07:25 PM

951 posts, read 1,654,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remember-voltaire View Post
....Plus the kids will come over and do the grass for you instead of wining they want to watch tv
Hey R-V! Do you rent them out? I've got some windows to wash!! He He!

Old 09-30-2007, 07:29 PM

32 posts, read 149,647 times
My husband and I haven't found people to be all that friendly since we moved to New Hampshire in February so we asked our Pastor. He said that he had lived in NH his whole life and had made closer friends when he temporarily lived in Illinois going to seminary than here. He said you have to speak to people first, and then sometime they warm up and sometimes they don't. He told us not to take it personally. Our Pastor is lucky in that he has lots of family here, but we have no one. We have made a few friends at church and in the neighborhood. We are friendly to everyone and we figure it's their loss if they don't want to be friendly back.

Old 09-30-2007, 08:53 PM

450 posts, read 557,888 times
exactly
when I move up maybe we'll be neighbours

bigfry
if I send them and they give me oeace by being there then I should be paying you

just a joke before someone thinks I'm a bad dad

Old 10-01-2007, 02:07 PM

108 posts, read 341,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabrinaAne View Post
LoveSnow...

Your point is a valid one and we do have neighbors who are just 'shy' and keep to themselves. Our neighbors directly across from us are just that way. However, they do wave when we happen to cross paths and are even willing to chat a bit if they happen to be out. But they are quiet and keep to themselves. I did not mean to imply that the family who have slighted our friendly advances are bad. But they are by no means quite and keep to themselves. As I mentioned in my posts, they are quite sociable with the three other families who live closest to them, so I cannot dismiss their unfriendly behavior with your kind excuse.

The point of my original post, however, was not to complain about one unfriendly neighbor. If it were I would have posted on a different board. I only used the example to highlight the more prevalent attiudes amongst the homeowners out here. I was hoping someone would be able to tell me if, by and large, NH residents tended to be more friendly and open.

Guess I need to be more to-the-point with my questions in the future.
SabrinaAne, I am not saying they are bad people. Maybe bad neighbors. Not even bad, but not too friendly.

On the other hand, there are those who are friendly, aren't there?

I don't know. I've lived in different places, now I am in TX, and this situation is normal to me. I can't expect neighbors to be friends and have parties together, even if I'd love to. I may find new friends next door, or I may not. I don't think location has much to do with it. There are different people everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire