Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Help me choose one of the cities in New Hamphire to Move to...
Keene 3 15.79%
Littleton 6 31.58%
Plymouth 5 26.32%
Lebanon ( 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 02:23 PM

38 posts, read 185,992 times

Advertisements

Please help me decide where to relocate to in NH!!...I am out west currently, in a big city...and I hail from NYC originally. I am ex-miltary with a small pension, and am in semi-retirement mode...but will look to work PT as well....and possibly go back to school for some classes and so forth. I am also a guitarist and songwriter who wants peace and quiet, and a pretty rural (yet not too rurual and isolated) setting, with nice nature, some mountains,.... and nice people to get to know, and somewhere that won't kill me rent wise...I am not looking to buy at this point, but to rent.

Can you wonderful foflks of NH chime in and help me decide. My thoughts on Little-ton were the proximity of the larger mountains and the closeness to the VT border, like St Johns-bury and etc. Also head that Little-ton is got some shopping options and stuff to. My concern also was about the dating scene being drab in Little-ton for a single guy like me.

Plymouth seemed nice...close to the White Mountains as well.....but also close to the lakes region....giving me the best of both worlds, nature wise. As well.....it seems affordable rent wise.....and also seems not too far from the larger area of Concord.

Lastly, Keene gives seems to be the largest of the 3.....for activities, for dating, and making friends.....due to a larger populace....also for PT work.....and its proximity to the VT border as well.

Can you kind folks help me with this decision, I need to make it in a few days from now.....thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 06:56 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daroosta7777 View Post
Please help me decide where to relocate to in NH!!...I am out west currently, in a big city...and I hail from NYC originally. I am ex-miltary with a small pension, and am in semi-retirement mode...but will look to work PT as well....and possibly go back to school for some classes and so forth. I am also a guitarist and songwriter who wants peace and quiet, and a pretty rural (yet not too rurual and isolated) setting, with nice nature, some mountains,.... and nice people to get to know, and somewhere that won't kill me rent wise...I am not looking to buy at this point, but to rent.

Can you wonderful foflks of NH chime in and help me decide. My thoughts on Little-ton were the proximity of the larger mountains and the closeness to the VT border, like St Johns-bury and etc. Also head that Little-ton is got some shopping options and stuff to. My concern also was about the dating scene being drab in Little-ton for a single guy like me.

Plymouth seemed nice...close to the White Mountains as well.....but also close to the lakes region....giving me the best of both worlds, nature wise. As well.....it seems affordable rent wise.....and also seems not too far from the larger area of Concord.

Lastly, Keene gives seems to be the largest of the 3.....for activities, for dating, and making friends.....due to a larger populace....also for PT work.....and its proximity to the VT border as well.

Can you kind folks help me with this decision, I need to make it in a few days from now.....thanks
Plymouth region is great and it also places you further south along the I-93 corridor. You can be in Concord in 35-40 minutes as well as Tilton/Laconia in 25 minutes. That opens up quite a bit more in the way of PT employment opportunities. Littleton and Keene are what I term "self contained" regions, meaning that they are the largest cities/towns for a much larger rural area- so what you see is what you get. Littleton is a fairly short distance to St. Johnsbury but also Lancaster. Lancaster is one of my favorite towns north of the notches in NH, but you have to really like rural areas to appreciate the area.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:08 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,032,208 times
Also, Plymouth is a college town, so that may have more options for you. Personally, I'd strike Keene off the list. While it is bigger than the others.. it's still essentially pretty remote - not convenient to too much of anything (except Bratt VT). and Plymouth is very pretty. Littleton is also nice. You might need to visit and check them both out. Both of those are nice places.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:20 PM

yea thanks folks I really don't want too big and bustling a place anyway....and Littleton seems like it has got a bright future too...though it may be small...and proximity to Lancaster.....VT border and etc....seems nice too. I will stick around Grafton county I believe...and when I an there I will be driving around Littleton, Lancaster....etc...and down to Plymouth.....to have a look at the region,,,,I think I will cross Chesire county of the list, most likely.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:52 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daroosta7777 View Post
yea thanks folks I really don't want too big and bustling a place anyway....and Littleton seems like it has got a bright future too...though it may be small...and proximity to Lancaster.....VT border and etc....seems nice too. I will stick around Grafton county I believe...and when I an there I will be driving around Littleton, Lancaster....etc...and down to Plymouth.....to have a look at the region,,,,I think I will cross Chesire county of the list, most likely.
Nearly all of the towns in Grafton County along I-93 are pretty nice. It really is a great area overall, and one of the better rural areas in the US, at least on the stat sheets. The key obviously being employment.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:14 PM

I will drive down to Plymouth toward the lakes region from Littlleton and have a look as well...and back up and etc....and give her a good overall look...guess I will have to prepared for winters again.....being I been away from them for years.....

Old 08-26-2012, 04:27 PM

7 posts, read 17,986 times
I too am planning to move to Plymouth, NH. I am recently divorced and my son just graduated from PSU. I went to Keene State and have always loved NH. I also plan on taking some classes at PSU. My son and I are going up and staying with a friend soon to look at apts. and for jobs. He has good possibilities, and I can wait till I move there if I have to. I don't have a car now, but will in a couple of months. So, we are looking to live in walking distance of PSU and the hospital and downtown. And, will have to depend on people from time to time to go to Walmart/food shopping etc. (no public transportation). I thought NH was a good place to make a fresh start. I am very excited about the move. I loved Keene, but I love Plymouth more. I can't wait to meet new people and make new friends.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:08 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,959,252 times
I lived in Keene and I rec. you stay far away.. Its the "biggest" and very remote. Like VERY remote. If you can't find it in Keene or Brattleboro expect an hour or so drive to Concord or Manchester (one way). Keene is spotty on cellphone and if you don't live in town cable and internet are also not avail in all areas. Not to mention you don't wanna deal with the Free Staters imo. Its their central location for all the crazy ones who joined that movement....Plus the town is swarming with college kids. Any and all housing downtown is just all college kids and mostly not taken care of because of that. Its a beautiful downtown but anywhere near the campus is not.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:30 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times
Consider adding Hanover and the Dartmouth College area. It is prosperous, has lots of younger professionals and a completely different "vibe' from the rest of NH. However rental may be higher priced than the other places.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:53 AM

7 posts, read 17,986 times
Hi, I have another question about moving to NH. Who do you contact about health insurance if you don't have a job or your employer doesn't offer it? I have health insurance through the state of MA. So, what department do you contact to find out how you get health insurance through the state of NH? Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire