Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 12:23 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,345,327 times

Advertisements

On my 3/4 ton truck, I put good snow tires on every winter. I use this truck to plow and use it off road in our wood lots and am out all winter long in all weather.

On our 1/2 ton truck and car we run all season tires and never have a problem.

Slow down. Leave enough time to get where you're going. If it's that bad, stay home. Now a days the roads are cleaned up fairly fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2018, 03:15 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,672,673 times
Post Didn't add studs, regretted it.

I used to run an SUV with good M+S deep lug tires. Still had traction issues sometimes, so I got easy-on tire chains. This combination worked fine for me.

This year I switched to a half-ton pickup and also ordered rims and real snow tires. They had the option to be studded, but decided to just run them as snows. There were a few times this past winter where due to snow and ice, I really could have used studded tires (my old tire chains don't fit the new truck).

This is in the greater Manchester area, I'm sure if I spent more of my time in the North Country, I'd have that much more need for studded tires. YMMV.

Old 10-01-2018, 10:53 PM

47 posts, read 99,750 times
Default Studless winter tires are the way to go...

I know this is an older thread, but thought I'd offer up my experience from my neck of the woods...and it's that time of year again to be thinking about winter tire choices.

I also have a Subaru AWD (2002 Outback wagon).

Winters here in the Pacific NW I think are similar to New England (usually a wet heavy snow, freezing sleet, black ice, etc...)

I don't find the winters here as severe as in the Midwest...BUT...they don't plow worth a hoot here...they really only plow and sand the main arteries, and residential streets and rural roads are dead last on the priority list.

My first couple of winters here, I had an AWD Chevy Astro van with burly M+S rated tires (don't remember the brand or model)...it totally rallied. it was awesome.

When the Astro went to the big scrapyard in the sky.. ..and I got the Subaru, with brand new all-season tires.....it only worked kinda sorta ok in the winter.

After I slid through a busy intersection, even approaching very slowly...I decided to get dedicated winter tires and it made all the difference.

I have a set of Toyo Observe G2 studless winter tires. After I think 6 winter seasons, they still have plenty of tread. They have a particles of walnut shell in the rubber that add grip..very nice. I"ve driven over mountain passes during a steady snowfall no problem. But as they say..."always drive at a speed appropriate for conditions".

And regardless of what winter tire option you chose....keep one of those collapsible, avalanche-style shovels in the car if you need to dig yourself out of a snowbank...or even out of a parking spot. As well as a fleece blanket and some snacks if you do end up getting stuck and have to stay put for a while.

(PS: for my subaru, they recommended in the manual a smaller diameter tire to allow for more clearance in the wheel wells for the snow. so I went with the smaller size in the manual and don't regret it. I even have a big screwdriver to dig out the snow from the wheel wells when the sticky snow really gets packed in there.)

Old 10-02-2018, 09:00 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,505,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by north2AK View Post
I have a set of Toyo Observe G2 studless winter tires. After I think 6 winter seasons, they still have plenty of tread.
Be watchful for sidewall rot. 6 years is getting long in the tooth for tires. Just a two years ago, I had huge sidewall cracks, down to the cord, on a set of Michelins after 6 years. Dangerous.

Old 10-02-2018, 02:07 PM

12,437 posts, read 9,529,208 times
I have been happy running my Nokian WR G3 tires year-round. The only tire that I have found that truly works well in 4 seasons. Looking forward to getting some WR G4s (4th generation design) when these wear out.

Old 10-03-2018, 09:52 PM

47 posts, read 99,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
Be watchful for sidewall rot. 6 years is getting long in the tooth for tires. Just a two years ago, I had huge sidewall cracks, down to the cord, on a set of Michelins after 6 years. Dangerous.
thanks for the warning, but they are in good shape. i keep them bagged stored well when not in use and I think the climate here (high desert) helps. I suspect rot has a lot to do with formulation of the rubber. Paradoxically, I think nicer brands like Michelin and Continental user a higher percentage of natural rubber compounds and they grip better, but are prone to deterioration more than other mid-price brands that have more synthetic rubber in them. Speculation on my part.

Old 10-04-2018, 12:13 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
Snow/winter tires have a softer rubber, that does not get hard unlike summer tires and grips the road better is the first factor. Here in Montana, it is steel studs on snow tires that work.

When chain law goes into effect, this combination of snow tires with studs, is considered same as chains, and they pass you through. Those walnut shell tires have to have chains to be on the road, so we don't see them sold here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire