Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 02:44 AM

693 posts, read 1,138,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
No. You can get what is called "New england" tuition at state schools. It is about halfway between in-state and out of New England...

UMass Amherst: Financial Aid Services - University Costs

Of course, if you are an illegal alien living in MA, you can have in-state tuition...

I wont qualify as illegal alien, I volunteered the first 4 years of my adult life to serving in the military which ended up sending me to Iraq in 1991 to participate in the Persian Gulf War, so like I said, no way to qualify under the better, more desirable status of illegal alien.

Wow, I checked out that link, I havent been living out of the country THAT long, $30k a year for undergraduate studies, $120k for an undergrate degree ... HOW THE HELL DID THAT HAPPEN?!?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 07:19 AM

858 posts, read 1,807,039 times
Quote:
No. You can get what is called "New england" tuition at state schools. It is about halfway between in-state and out of New England...

UMass Amherst: Financial Aid Services - University Costs

Of course, if you are an illegal alien living in MA, you can have in-state tuition...
Actually, that's incorrect.

To get in-state tuition you have to prove you are in the country legally. Some examples: Bunker Hill CC, UMass and this article, from yesterday's Boston Globe about how the new immigration policy for illegal immigrants brought by their parents when they were children would benefit them and allow them to pay in-state tuition.

That's how I found out. The first paragraph of the article is clear: "As thousands of young illegal immigrants in Massachusetts prepare to apply for federal reprieves from deportation starting this week, the state has yet to clarify whether successful applicants will qualify for driver’s licenses and resident tuition at public colleges and universities." bolded is mine.

Last edited by Merjolie8; 08-13-2012 at 07:23 AM.. Reason: add

Old 08-20-2012, 08:12 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,851,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavariantransplant View Post

Wow, I checked out that link, I havent been living out of the country THAT long, $30k a year for undergraduate studies, $120k for an undergrate degree ... HOW THE HELL DID THAT HAPPEN?!?!
I have one daughter at a private college in MA. If you include everything (tuition, books, living expenses...), the cost is $50k per year or $200k for the four years. Now, she did get a partial academic scholarship which lowers the costs and is majoring in engineering and should make $60k+ upon graduation next year.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:18 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,851,013 times
It is true that illegals cannot get in-state tuition yet in MA, but the governor is pushing for it. Luckily, the state house and state senate fear backlash from the legal voters to block the governor:
Gov. Deval Patrick Pushes In-State Tuition For Illegal Immigrants | WPRI.com

He also wants to give illegals driver's licenses.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:45 AM

Quote:
I have one daughter at a private college in MA. If you include everything (tuition, books, living expenses...), the cost is $50k per year or $200k for the four years. Now, she did get a partial academic scholarship which lowers the costs and is majoring in engineering and should make $60k+ upon graduation next year.

I think from what I read a guaranteed job and salary is a thing of the past?

Even at 60k+ ... $200k for a bachelors degree should not sit well with a person. She will be paying for that most of her life, this should not be how society sends our children out into the world, saddled with this sort of debt. An educated person benefits the individual AND society but yet the individual is being taken care of.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:39 AM

Couple of clarafications if I can.

Can I expect that if I live in NH / work in MA, that only my income will be taxed by MA for state income tax. My wife who works in NH would not.

Can I deduct weekends, holidays, sick days, vacations, any days I am not in MA from my overall burden at some point of the calculation?

Do I get to deduct the same deductions that a MA residents does?

Thanks

Old 09-14-2012, 06:31 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,945,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavariantransplant View Post
Couple of clarafications if I can.

Can I expect that if I live in NH / work in MA, that only my income will be taxed by MA for state income tax. My wife who works in NH would not.

Can I deduct weekends, holidays, sick days, vacations, any days I am not in MA from my overall burden at some point of the calculation?

Do I get to deduct the same deductions that a MA residents does?

Thanks
Good Morning. I'm sure you'll get some responses to these questions, but I would highly recommend asking a qualified tax professional who is well-versed in the MA/NH tax issue as so to avoid surprises down the road.

I can only share what we have seen and experienced: I work in MA & NH, but am paid out of a NH office. He mainly works in and is paid out of MA, but reports to the NH facility a couple times each week. At tax prep time, these days (along with vacation time, sick time, holidays, etc) are deducted. We do not pay taxes on my income, but automated tax software programs try to add it in because they are looking at and drawing the total income number from the 1040. There are simple ways to work around this... or as I said earlier, a good tax accountant is most likely your best bet

You also asked about MA deductions-in my experience, MA deductions are for MA residents. We replaced the entire septic system a year or two ago. Had we been MA residents, this would have been a nice deduction. Because we are not, we got zilch. There were a few other deductions that we did not qualify for, luckily the energy credits for upgrade to insulation, windows, and our wood stove insert were federal...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire