Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 08:47 AM

67 posts, read 186,240 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am considering a job offer to work at Dartmouth College. The job sounds wonderful but my concern is moving from Boston to a somewhat rural area and feeling isolated. I am active here in Boston in meet up but it seems like there are only a few meet ups in the Hanover area. Just wondering if there it is possible to have some type of social life for a single 30 something in the Hanover area. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 11:31 AM

6,574 posts, read 6,745,260 times
Your social life would, in many cases, revolve around the university. You're not much older than many graduate students in the area from Dartmouth....so it might work for you. To be honest though Hanover is an area I would look at if I was closer to retirement. It has the best medical care in all of northern New England & is a safe place to live. But for a young women in her 30s the area might be too out of the way.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:58 AM

Thanks! I was just living in Florida for 2 months in a retirement community and it was more than I could take. As great as the job sounds, I might be better off waiting until I get something in Boston.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:03 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,553,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish94 View Post
Thanks! I was just living in Florida for 2 months in a retirement community and it was more than I could take. As great as the job sounds, I might be better off waiting until I get something in Boston.
Back up a step. Hanover is NOTHING like a retirement community in FL. You might have construed the meaning of the other poster a little too literally. Less than 14% of the town is over age 65.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:22 AM

I guess what I want to know is are there activities/things to do where I would have the potential to meet other 30 and 40 something friends? I am a little leery of putting myself into a position where I might feel isolated and unhappy.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:51 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
If I were a single 30 something and had a job offer at Dartmouth I would be there asap. If I were a single 30's something woman I would be there sooner.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:05 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,377,286 times
Hanover is obviously no comparison to Boston, but if you stay in Hanover proper, you would almost feel like you are walking around in a miniature Cambridge. It's a college town with a chi-chi downtown (by northern New England standards) with bookstores, nice places to eat, shopping etc. What you probably should not do if a vibrant social scene is important to you is do something like live in Enfield and commute to Dartmouth. (Nothing against Enfield!) Unless your idea of socializing is running into fellow hikers or cross-country skiiers, you would probably feel isolated.

The good news is that if there are any meetups or professional society meetings at all up here in Northern New England, they are often at or near Dartmouth. Cost of living will be lower, traffic is no comparison, you're close to outdoor activities, and if you are into New England charm, Hanover has it.

Old 08-01-2012, 04:25 PM

Thanks for the further information! I think I will make a trip up there to make a final decision. My interviews were in Boston so haven't been up the actual campus or town yet. (I actually wouldn't be employed by the college but a health care company contracting with the school).

Old 08-02-2012, 08:32 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,550,854 times
Definitely visit first hand. It's a nice area, with lots of little outlying towns to give you many cost options for living. Jobs at the Medical Center and the College are generally some of the best in the area.

As for social experiences, I know a bunch of 30-somethings who lament the lack of "options" in the area. There is no conventional "bar scene" or "club scene" to speak of. But there are TONS of professional groups though and lots of opportunities to get out and among people. A lot of the social recreation in this area revolves around the outdoors.

Good luck in your search!

Old 08-02-2012, 10:31 AM

23 posts, read 63,393 times
My family is moving to the Hanover area this September -- we absolutely loved the area when we visited but I can see where your apprehension may be coming from -- the same reasons why we loved it is probably the same reasons why you have concern -- it's not a bustling city by any means. I think what comes with that is an opportunity to meet people in 'unconventional' ways -- events put on by the college, outdoor activities, drinks at the ski lodge bar, etc.

What I will pass on is the information I've seen online about Hanover -- while there is no Beacon St. or Boylston St. to get your kicks, the college itself does seem to offer a ton of community events and activities where I'm sure you can get your social fix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire